PDA

View Full Version : Kringla Bakeri og Kafe Re-Opens From Multi-Month Refurbishment: Updated 9/4/18

Figment!
01-14-2018, 07:24 PM
9/4/18

Kringla Bakeri og Kafe recently re-opened in Epcot's World Showcase from it's multi-month refurbishment.

The interior of the bakery has approximately doubled in size and now has a dedicated queue area. The outdoor seating area, however; does not appear to have been expanded as part of the refurbishment.

The overall menu of the refreshed location appears to be primarily unchanged. Guest favorites like School Bread, Lefse, Kringla, and Viking Coffee have remained:

Entrées

Norwegian Club
Ham, Turkey, Bacon, Jarlsberg and Muenster Cheese with fresh Tomatoes, Sliced Red Onion and Lingonberry Mayonnaise on Toasted Multigrain Bread
$8.99

Ham and Apple Sandwich
Ham, Apple and Jarlsberg and Muenster Cheese with a Sweet Apple Chutney on Toasted Multigrain Bread
$7.99

Norwegian Chef Salad
Poached Salmon with Mixed Greens, Tomato, Onion, Potato and Boiled Egg
$9.99

Salmon and Egg Bagel
Everything Bagel, Smoked Salmon, Tomato, Hard Boiled Egg, Red Onion and Herb Cream Cheese
$9.49

Norwegian Treats

School Bread
Sweet Roll filled with Custard and dipped in Coconut
$3.99

Rice Cream
Rice Pudding topped with Strawberry Sauce
$3.79

Lefse
Soft Flatbread rolled with Cinnamon, Sugar and Butter
$3.29

Norwegian Kringla
Pretzel-shaped Pastry with assorted Toppings (Cinnamon, Almonds or Chocolate)
$4.99

Berry Cream Puff
Puff Pastry filled with Whipped Cream and Fresh Berries
$5.49

Anna's Birthday Cake
Chocolate Mousse-filled Cupcake with Chocolate Buttercream Icing
$5.99

Viking Chocolate Mousse
Chocolate Mousse Viking Helmet with Twill Horns and Toasted Coconut
$4.49

Beverages

Assorted Fountain Beverages - Regular
$3.29

Assorted Fountain Beverages - Large
$3.69

Coffee
regular or decaf
$2.99

Espresso
$2.49

Cappuccino
$4.59

Caffè Latte
$4.59

Alcoholic Beverages

Viking Coffee
flavored with Kamora Coffee Liqueur and Baileys Irish Cream
$10.50

Nordic Draft Beer
Aass Pilsner, Norway; Einstök White Ale, Iceland; Einstök Toaster Porter, Iceland
$8.25

3/18/18

Midnattsol Bakeri is now open in Epcot's Norway pavilion.

The kiosk is serving the following menu:

Rice Cream $3.50
Rice Pudding topped with Strawberry Sauce

Chocolate Pretzel $5.25

School Bread $3.75

Lefse $3.25

Blueberry Muffin $3.50

Anna's Birthday Cupcake $6.50

Yogurt Parfait $5.75

Viking Dog $11.75
One-Pound All-Beef Hot Dog served with Purple Cabbage, Spicy Mayonnaise, Bacon and Fried Onions

Norwegian Club Sandwich $9.50
Ham, Turkey, Bacon Jarlsberg and Muenster with fresh Tomatoes, Sliced Red Onion and Lingonberry Mayonnaise on Toasted Multigrain Bread

3/3/18

Kringla Bakeri og Kafe closed on schedule; however, the Midnattsol Bakeri location did not open at the time of the closure. As a temporary, temporary alternative Guests can find Lefse, Troll Horns, and School Bread at the Norway Beer Kiosk.

1/14/18

Epcot's popular Kringla Bakeri og Kafe is scheduled for a multi-month refurbishment to expand the location. It has been internally announced that the counter service location in the Norway Pavilion is scheduled to close on February 4th and re-open "Summer 2018".

During the closure, the Midnattsol Bakeri kiosk will operate on the World Showcase Promenade serving School Bread and other popular pastries.

Cinderelley
01-14-2018, 09:25 PM
During the closure, the Midnattsol Bakeri kiosk will operate on the World Showcase Promenade serving School Bread and other popular pastries.

I was about to have a heart attack until I saw this sentence. I can't go to Disney World without schoolbread. I even have a special savings set up to get a round of schoolbread for everyone. I had a membership at a gym I joined when I had a contract in Texas. They don't have a facility near me now, so I use Planet Fitness. I hadn't gotten around to cancelling the membership, because it was only $10. One day, I realize I could save that $10 a month to buy schoolbread for everyone during the wedding trip. Voila! I now have $10 a month towards schoolbread. :rotfl:

PopPhan
01-15-2018, 07:28 AM
Well then...I guess I'll have to find the 'midnight sun bakery' (Midnattsol Bakeri) for my School Bread and Viking Coffee on my next visit!! Got hooked on this combo on my last trip!:D

Tink1
01-15-2018, 08:51 AM
as long as they have school bread!

Nanc

Figment!
03-18-2018, 04:52 PM
**Update**

Cinderelley
03-18-2018, 10:35 PM
2 months until I'm chowing down on School Bread!!!!!

mom2morgan
03-18-2018, 11:44 PM
Can someone explain what, exactly, is school bread? I've never tried it, but it seems to have a real fan followring! Seriously, the biggest problem with Epcot is WAY too much good food that I want to try - but I'm thinking French pastries this time - unless someone can convince me that school bread is better!

Cinderelley
03-19-2018, 01:32 AM
Can someone explain what, exactly, is school bread? I've never tried it, but it seems to have a real fan followring! Seriously, the biggest problem with Epcot is WAY too much good food that I want to try - but I'm thinking French pastries this time - unless someone can convince me that school bread is better!

Epcot is a big place. Try French pastries and then walk to the other side where Norway is. You'll be done with your french pastry and be able to get schoolbread. :P

Imagine a soup bowl, but it is made with what they call "sweet bread" and not regular bread. I don't think it is really sweet, so I'm not sure why they call it that.
Anyway, the bowl part is filled with custard. The top of the bowl is lightly dipped in a sugar glaze and sprinkled with coconut with a dollop of custard poking out of a hole in the top of the bread.

Cinderelley
03-19-2018, 01:34 AM

Pastry
Ingredients
2 pints water
3 ounces dry yeast
3 1/2 ounces sugar
2 1/2 ounces butter (melted)
1 teaspoon cardamom
2 pounds flour
1 whole egg
8 ounces shredded coconut
12 ounces vanilla custard

Method
Heat water and butter to 95 degrees. Mix flour, sugar, cardamom, yeast, and egg together for five minutes until dough is stiff. Form it like a ball and place in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let proof for 45 minutes, or until dough has doubled in size. Roll the dough out like a sausage and cut into five ounce pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and put them on a non-stick sheet pan and let them proof for 30 minutes. Bake for 15 minutes in 375 degree oven. Let cool.

Mix powdered sugar and water (use small amounts until proper consistency is achieved) to make icing and place in shallow pan. Form hole in bread using finger. Dip bread in icing (hole side down) and sprinkle with shredded coconut. Using pastry bag, squeeze vanilla custard inside of hole and swirl at top for decoration.

Vanilla Custard
Ingredients
1 2/3 cups milk
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 egg yolks
1 tablespoon corn starch

Method
In heavy saucepan bring milk to a boil. Set aside. In bowl, beat eggs, sugar, and vanilla until the mixture doubles by volume. Add the hot milk a few drops at a time to temper the eggs. Mix well after each addition. Place in metal mixing bowl and place over double boiler. Dissolve cornstarch in a little water and add in a thin stream while stirring constantly until it thickens to proper consistency. It must not boil. Cool by placing pan in ice bath.

from The Disney Food Blog

DisneyWorld1971
03-20-2018, 09:19 AM
How exciting!!! That place is small so I can't wait to see it when we go back this fall.

Figment!
09-04-2018, 08:38 PM
**Update**

Cinderelley
09-05-2018, 12:06 AM
Yay! It's back!!! I'll definitely be stopping in there next month.

njespers
09-05-2018, 01:12 AM

From my days as a high school student in Norway, «skolebrød» is a pastry, generally bought at the local «konditori» (bake shop/cafe) by local high school kids. Usually, it’s a sweet dough flat round, about 8-10 inches in diameter, generally with a layer of white vanilla glaze on top that is sprinkled with coconut. But the piece-de-resistance is the gold dollop of custard, about 2” diameter, right smack in the middle of the glaze-coconut topping. It’s wonderful stuff, especially with coffee.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cinderelley
09-05-2018, 02:28 AM
From my days as a high school student in Norway, «skolebrød» is a pastry, generally bought at the local «konditori» (bake shop/cafe) by local high school kids. Usually, it’s a sweet dough flat round, about 8-10 inches in diameter, generally with a layer of white vanilla glaze on top that is sprinkled with coconut. But the piece-de-resistance is the gold dollop of custard, about 2” diameter, right smack in the middle of the glaze-coconut topping. It’s wonderful stuff, especially with coffee.

My mouth started watering just reading your description. lol It's a must-do for me every time I go to Epcot. Would you say that it tastes the same as it does in Norway?

PopPhan
09-05-2018, 07:44 AM

Thank you for this. I will be glad to get back next month and have «skolebrød» and a Viking Coffee!!! Great combination!

BriarRose0708
09-05-2018, 08:31 AM
YAAAAAAS! So happy to chow down on my favorite EPCOT treat before riding Frozen.

njespers
09-05-2018, 09:35 AM
My mouth started watering just reading your description. lol It's a must-do for me every time I go to Epcot. Would you say that it tastes the same as it does in Norway?

Yep, pretty close.

Simba's Mom
09-05-2018, 11:28 AM
I don't see the cloud horn on the new menu. Has anyone seen it since reopening. That was my favorite there!

Cinderelley
09-06-2018, 03:28 AM
I don't see the cloud horn on the new menu. Has anyone seen it since reopening. That was my favorite there!

I will try to remember to look for it when we are there.