PDA

View Full Version : No more Do Not Disturb leads to daily Trash

VWL Mom
12-22-2017, 03:09 PM
So it is being reported that there with no longer be Do Not Disturb signs in the room but rather Room Occupied signs. Disney will enter every room once a day, period. Presumably this is to avoid a situation like the one in Vegas.

DVC, in an attempt to put their spin on it, has released the following in an email to members:

• Your in-room experience has never been more important to us. That's why we will begin removing trash from your rooms at Disney Vacation Club resorts on a daily basis in addition to regular housekeeping visits. The daily service begins December 22, 2017, at five resort properties (Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian Villas & Bungalows, The Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian, Disney's Grand Californian and Aulani). The service extends to all other Disney Vacation Club resorts on January 7, 2018.

Personally, I don't like it, I don't want them in my room. Will Disney accept responsibility when items go missing? My guess is no. If their goal is to look/find weapons will they be going through guest belongings? Will all this lead to an increase in dues? I have so many questions.

What do you think?

faline
12-22-2017, 03:14 PM
Trash is removed daily when you stay in a regular hotel room so I don't see this as being any different from that. I like the idea that trash will be emptied daily - it would have been nicer if they also refreshed the towels daily a well!!

magicofdisney
12-22-2017, 04:45 PM
I haven't let housekeeping into my room daily in years. I too do not like the idea of someone having free rein in my room. Additionally, all too often I'll see room doors propped open so cleaning carts can be accessed at will. However, when the housekeeper is in the bathroom, anyone can enter the main room freely. I guess I'm jaded, but I don't trust the system anymore. :(

TheDuckRocks
12-23-2017, 02:05 PM
Frankly, I'm thrilled with the daily trash pick up. I can't stand yucky trash that could be up to 4 days old hanging around the room and it has always been a pain to remember to take it out to the trash bins before leaving for the parks in the morning.

hubbyofadisneyholic
12-23-2017, 10:59 PM
I do not like this at all.
If this is truly about security mousekeeping will be looking in drawers and suitcases. The room safes aren't big enough to lock up everything.
Little by little Disney is doing things that are alienating long time visitors like us. Not sure how long it will be before I decide that enough is enough.

ibelieveindisneymagic
12-23-2017, 11:27 PM
I hope Disney allows you to pick a time for these "checks", or at least a range. It was bad enough with the DND up, and having housekeeping still knock on the door when you're having an afternoon nap!

But, I do like the idea of more trash pick up when staying DVC.

VWL Mom
12-24-2017, 09:07 AM
Ha, sure enough, other forums are reporting receiving responses from Ken Potrock's office that our dues will be increasing to cover the daily trash pickup. SMDH

DisneyFan1979
01-08-2018, 01:29 PM
I'm happy about this change. It will probably help generally with villa cleanliness as while some people take the trash out on their own, others don't, so the build up can lead to unpleasant smells and bugs that can linger...

I personally do not travel with anything of value that does not fit in a hotel room safe so I could care less about hotel staff coming into my room. Be it DVC, a regular Disney hotel, or any hotel elsewhere, I expect staff to have to enter my room for various reasons and I plan accordingly.

ThanxForNoticin
01-09-2018, 12:59 PM
Even with this change to get trash daily, there must be a 'do-not-disturb' option for guests while staying there. There are too many families who might like to sleep in until 10, or are back at the room at 1 with kids (or adults!) for a nap - and they certainly don't want someone banging on the door to empty the trash. Or, if I just don't want daily housekeeping in my room, that should be my option.

Simba's Mom
01-09-2018, 02:23 PM
Yeah, right-if they were really concerned with MY in-room experience, so that's why they were doing trash pick up now, and expected everyone to be thrilled with this, what better time to announce it than at the recent annual meeting? No, they knew this would go over like a lead balloon (which it did). As well as how likely is a big Las Vegas type event happening at a resort like SSR, OKW, or AKV? I hear conflicting reports on whether or not housekeeping will knock and if they do, will wait for a response before they come in. After 15 years of DVC ownership, we've gotten used to and actually enjoy it being "our own home".

SBETigg
01-09-2018, 05:23 PM
Having entry to the room doesn't give them permission to search your belongings. Even if this is for security reasons. Simply entering and having a glance around would be sufficient, even if it doesn't entirely deter. The ability to enter and check out situations, or making guests aware that this will happen, is probably the goal here, not to intimidate everyone into thinking their personal belongings are fair game.

VWL Mom
01-15-2018, 08:22 AM
Just thought I'd give some feedback from last week. Stayed a BRV in a 1 bedroom with DS22 for 4 nights. Let me start by saying these rooms still have the original safes so no room for a laptop so in the drawer it went. From here on in it will be locked in a suitcase.

First and second day, trash was emptied while we were at the parks. On day three, we returned to find kitchen trash can had been emptied (bathroom not) but someone had gone through the dresser drawers and not even bothered to close them. Suffice to say, I wasn't happy.

magicofdisney
01-22-2018, 01:36 PM
What confuses me is that at the same time they're implementing this change, they're also asking some if they'd like to decline housekeeping during their stay. :confused:

My son and I were recently at All Star Movies for 3 nights. We were not given the option to decline housekeeping, but the family in front of us was (in exchange for a gift card). I don't recall the CM informing the guest that housekeeping would do a spot check regardless, even though they chose to opt out of that service. It's kind of a mixed message.

TheDuckRocks
02-04-2018, 07:28 AM
Just back from 10 night trip to OKW and had the daily trash pick up. Unusual trip in that we were doing a lot of days with breaks from the parks a different times each day, so we were in and out of the room a lot. I saw the pick up guys a total of 4 times. We never had them knock on the door if the hanger was out, they would just come back later. Polite, friendly and quick. Never had anything moved, touched, opened or disturbed in any way. Maybe we just got lucky.
Side note - we stopped at HHI on our way home for 2 nights and they are doing the trash pick up there too.

texas211
02-04-2018, 11:10 AM
Yeah, I don't know the goal. I keep the rifle/gun case in the trunk. Else, it looks like a suitcase, like so many others. As someone else asked, are they going to start going through your suitcases. See a locked bag, then what? Most of the resorts would not be in a situation for something like Vegas. Contemporary or something maybe, but other than that. Also, they aren't centralized like a tower hotel (most of them) so, yeah. Plus, yeah I really hate they prop the door open. I also don't like being bothered on some days.

1DisneyNut
02-05-2018, 08:34 AM
Having entry to the room doesn't give them permission to search your belongings. Even if this is for security reasons. Simply entering and having a glance around would be sufficient, even if it doesn't entirely deter. The ability to enter and check out situations, or making guests aware that this will happen, is probably the goal here, not to intimidate everyone into thinking their personal belongings are fair game.

Exactly.

With all the nonsense that goes on these days, I think it should be a requirement that all hotel/resort rooms everywhere should be checked each day. I really don't get what all the fuss is about because if one of them wants to go on a stealing spree, they have a master room key and just pop in rooms whenever they want anyway. It would not be that difficult for them to either watch for you to leave or just tap on the door and then pop in and if someone happened to be in there, just act like they accidentally went to the wrong room.

I leave my laptop on the table usually open with the screen turned toward the room. The reason being is because they realize it has a camera built into it and it just might happen to be recording what is going on in my room, maybe sending it to a server and I just might happen to be able to view it from my phone.......I'm just saying that it is possible. lol

dlpmikki
02-07-2018, 01:11 PM
One of the big plusses for us of DVC was not having to worry about people coming in daily. Their spin is that this an improved service. I haven't seen any suggestion from them that it is anything to do with security. For me it's going to increase our costs / dues for a 'service' I don't want.

I'm rather glad I don't have any trips planned this year.

DisneyGiant
02-09-2018, 01:14 PM
We are excited about the daily trash pickup. This will come in handy, especially staying in a grand villa this time. :)

Perhaps I'm naive - but I never worry about them stealing my stuff. For me its just the ipad - which worse case scenario, I replace & restore to my backup.

texas211
02-09-2018, 01:24 PM
My concern is less theft (unless they are going to start intentionally searching your luggage), but more privacy.

But that's the way of the world. 1 person out of 355 million does something crazy, we want all sorts of reactionary rules, that for the most part, are useless.

It'll all change. The first time disney seems me butt nekid getting out of the shower, ignoring the door sign, they'll have a new policy :)