PDA

View Full Version : Safari at Night

Mary Chase
09-17-2017, 08:26 AM
This will be our first trip to WDW with AK being open at night (normally closed at 5-6 pm the time of year we go). I'd like to get some opinions on the safari at night vs the normal day time version we are used to. Is it worth waiting to go on it at night? We'll get a fast pass for this - so just wondering what time to get it for.

Thanks!

faline
09-17-2017, 11:05 AM
Last year, we did a special night time visit to Animal Kingdom for Disney Vacation Club owners. As part of that, we were provided with a night time safari. As we entered the line, I really wondered how worthwhile it would be to go on the safari after dark. I was pleasantly surprised at how many animals we were able to see. I thought it was definitely worthwhile to go on an after-dark safari.

magicofdisney
09-17-2017, 05:32 PM
A couple of months back we were on the safari around 4ish. The guide suggested we come back for a night time ride because so many more animals are out at night than you might expect. Especially during that time of year, it was so hot during the day, I figured they enjoyed roaming more during the cooler hours.

We didn't end up staying in the park much longer, but I'd like to hear anyone else's experience with this.

Giggy
09-17-2017, 06:09 PM
We did this last week on our last day in WDW, we really enjoyed it. We had been on a safari early evening and whilst there they mentioned the final night safari would leave at 9.

We came back a bit before 9 and were directed through the FP queue to a car waiting at the station. The car waited until shortly after 9 to ensure everyone who wanted to ride had arrived. Again, we had been worried about how much we would see in the dark but we did see quite a lot, as they had told us a lot of the animals wake up a lot more at night.

They understandably ask no flash photography so not much in the way of photo opportunities but I guess that just meant I could sit back and enjoy without thinking about getting a good photo. It is a very different vibe to the day safari so I would reccomend doing both a day and a night safari. :mickey:

WDWdriver
09-18-2017, 08:07 AM
The area lighting at night is interesting. You might expect bright floodlights illuminating the area and turning night into day. That is not the case. The effect is more like twilight, light enough to see, but not brightly lit. The night ride experience is really good.

ibelieveindisneymagic
09-18-2017, 09:16 AM
I'm on the other side ... the regular night safari at AK is a total waste of time. It is too dark, and there aren't enough animals out and about to make it worth it. Maybe we just had a "bad" safari, but it was quite boring.

Now, the paid night safari at AKL is worth every penny ... that is amazing!

ransam
09-18-2017, 12:09 PM
I have been meaning to do this, but keep forgetting. next time for sure.

Simba's Mom
09-18-2017, 01:54 PM
I'm bummed that the safari during the day and then at night aren't treated as 2 separate FP+s. I'd really like to do the safari both times, and since I won't be able to get to the park much before noontime, I FP+d the safari during the day. After that, I have to hope a "day of" FP+ is available for the nighttime.

Giggy
09-18-2017, 06:47 PM
Simba's Mom, I'm not sure what time of year you are going or how it is like during peak crowds but when we rode on September 8th this was effectively a walk on for the night safari. We walked straight through the queuing area and onto the car as did people coming after us. There would have been space for another party on that car - not sure if they have a second car on standby for if the first one fills.

That said this was the night before Hurricane Irma which may have lessened crowds a little bit.

Simba's Mom
09-20-2017, 11:39 AM
Simba's Mom, I'm not sure what time of year you are going or how it is like during peak crowds but when we rode on September 8th this was effectively a walk on for the night safari. We walked straight through the queuing area and onto the car as did people coming after us. There would have been space for another party on that car - not sure if they have a second car on standby for if the first one fills.

That said this was the night before Hurricane Irma which may have lessened crowds a little bit.

Whew, thanks! Actually, I'll be there exactly one month from today, October 20th.

WDWFRK
10-02-2017, 05:00 PM
We were very disappointed in the nighttime safari experience. We didn't really see any animals, and I felt like it was a waste of time.

lindique
10-02-2017, 06:30 PM
I found that going at twilight/sunset is very interesting. You'll still have enough light to see, but nocturnal animals are active.

WiltonJohn
10-03-2017, 10:16 AM
Now, the paid night safari at AKL is worth every penny ... that is amazing!

We've done this one also.... it is great.

best,

.................john