PDA

View Full Version : Too Old for Disney Clothes?

merciantinkerbell
09-02-2017, 01:50 PM
So today I spot a sweatshirt with Stitch on in our local Primark ( budget clothes store, good for cheap t-shirts, socks etc that you don't mind wearing out fast). Stitch stuff is mega-hard to find around here so I grabbed it. At work it was implied that a 45 soon to 46 yr old woman is too old to wear clothes with Disney characters on as Disney is "just for kids". I disagree and will wear it and my other Disney clothes when I want to.
Does anyone agree with my work colleagues? Or do you wear Disney clothes and to heck with your age and what others think? And how can Disney be just for kids when the parks are full of adults without kids, like myself and hubby? ( who by the way wore a Stitch t-shirt to work on dress down day and people loved it! )

Ed
09-02-2017, 02:35 PM
Too Old ????? NEVER !!

I'm a little.....okay, a LOT....older than you and I wear Disney duds every chance I get. Getting older is mandatory; growing up is totally optional.

It's a shame that your coworkers have taken the optional route. Ignore them, and celebrate your own youthful and happy attitude.

VWL Mom
09-02-2017, 03:39 PM
I say, as long as it fits the dress code, go for it! I've got about 15 years on you and still sneak in a Disney piece here and there.

Zippy 1
09-02-2017, 04:45 PM
I only own Disney t-shirts and sweatshirts! So poo poo to some one who is no fun at all

Fangorn
09-02-2017, 05:43 PM
Obviously, your co-workers' higher cognitive functions have been seriously impaired by lack of imaginative use and have begun to atrophy.

I'm pretty sure your company at least talks about how much they value innovation. Your co-workers are merely proving that they don't have a clue what innovation, imagination or dreaming even mean. YOU, on the other hand, are proving that you do.

Keep Calm
and
Disney On

Steve

texas211
09-02-2017, 06:58 PM
I'd say depends on where you work and what you do?

Now outside of work, no. And to said they were older, I'd say things are certainly at least cyclical. I.e., Young, can wear whatever, some point maybe not, then later so old, doesn't matter what you are wearing as long as you are dressed. I have one friend who is 1000 years old, and still dresses like its the 1900's.

So, as long as you are comfortable, who cares what they think. Now at work, that does change based on what I said above.

Maleficent_vf
09-02-2017, 07:03 PM
Is the question about what's work appropriate or age appropriate? Work appropriate, it would depend on the workplace. I wouldn't wear a Disney sweatshirt to work, but I've got earrings and pins that I'll wear. But that's my office. I wouldn't wear a Yankees (or any sports-logo'd) sweatshirt either.

Age appropriate? You're never to old for Disney anything.

joonyer
09-02-2017, 07:31 PM
60 is in my rear view mirror, and I'm a judge, but I still wear my Mickey ties to work.
Away from the office, I often wear my "Grumpy" t-shirt" and hat. Not to mention my wife and I wear our matching Mickey T-shirts when we go out together. Carry on.
:goofy:

Cinderelley
09-03-2017, 12:08 AM
Who cares what they think? Wear what makes you happy. :)

merciantinkerbell
09-03-2017, 09:21 AM
Thanks everyone for your positive messages. I do wear a uniform at work so obviously no Disney stuff there, I pulled it out of it's bag to show people my find. I wouldn't wear it where inappropriate eg a good restaurant. I wear my Disney stuff on days off from work, shopping, housework or where no dress code like a cinema.
Thinking some people grow old before their time LOL

texas211
09-03-2017, 01:19 PM
Short of dressing as a character, that seems fine. I agree with the ageless component. Now if you dressed like Tinker or Alice, then I might throw the age flag.

brownie
09-04-2017, 07:44 PM
Nothing wrong with wearing clothes with character.

Cinderelley
09-05-2017, 04:57 AM
Short of dressing as a character, that seems fine. I agree with the ageless component. Now if you dressed like Tinker or Alice, then I might throw the age flag.

Everyone's a kid at heart! Fall down that rabbit hole. :)

MNNHFLTX
09-05-2017, 10:47 AM
Goodness, no, there is no age cutoff for wearing Disney-themed clothes! Do your coworkers just wear basic black to work and nothing fun? ;) BTW, Primark is one of my favorite stores to shop at when in the UK. Lots of fun stuff there. :D

Speedy1998
09-05-2017, 12:17 PM
At 41 I were polo shirts with Mickey, and Grumpy on them to work Monday thru Thursady. On Friday I wear a Aloha Shirt with Mickey, Minnie, Pluto and Donald on it (Unless it is football season, then I wear my school colors).

baldburke
09-05-2017, 01:29 PM
I don't wear shirts with giant graphics on the front, but I sure do wear Disney gear at 46!

merciantinkerbell
09-06-2017, 06:58 AM
Thanks everyone. I think next time I'm wearing Disney stuff and I get a look or comment I'll tell them to stop being Grumpy and be Happy :mickey:

azcavalier
11-09-2017, 08:38 AM
I just saw this thread!

It's not about what's on it (as long as it's not vulgar nor threatening), but the style. I tend to wear dress pants/chinos with button down shirts to work. Occasionally i'll throw on a sweatshirt in the fall or early spring. So, I rarely wear t-shirts. Sometimes I wear a polo.

Now, half of my polo's are WDW polos. From resorts or the golf pro-shops. I often wear "crazy" socks, and I bought more than a few Disney ones.

My point being, as someone else said, it depends on the dress code. I'm 45 and work at a university library. My wife is 45, and is a surgeon. She will wear some of the more "classy" Disney stuff, especially around the holidays. She often wears Disney jewelry. When operating, she'll wear Disney scrub caps (and she has made Disney scrub caps for the entire OR staff, so they wear them, too.)

I will wear my classier Disney clothes to work, no problem. It's not about what's on the clothes, nor your age. It's about the style of clothes, and its appropriateness in your workplace.

PopPhan
11-09-2017, 09:30 AM
I'm 55 and work in an office environment, but still wear my Disney "Hawaiian" shirts whenever possible. It's tough to find them anymore, but I try to pick one (reasonably priced, not these Tommy Bahama $150 jobs, that don't have much, if any, "Disney" to them) up on each trip. Sweatshirts and T's are frowned upon in the office.

T's are for working outside in the yard, so I don't buy them. Disney themed sweatshirts I do wear, but not in the office.

There is a time and a place for everything, but AGE is NOT a consideration. You are never too old to be a kid and enjoy Disney, in any respect.