PDA

View Full Version : New Soarin' Movie

Park Hopper
08-21-2017, 10:21 AM
I apologize if this has been discussed before - I apparently am not too proficient with the search function.

Soarin' is one of my favorite rides and this summer, I was able to see it with the new movie. It is still one of my favorite rides, but while the new movie is breathtaking and fun, I was a little disappointed.

Perhaps I did not notice it as much with the Soarin' over California version, but it seems to me that the new movie has a number of structures with vertical lines that really become distorted as you 'fly' towards them. For example, you can see a big curve in the Eiffel Tower. It seems to be worse the lower you are (middle and bottom rows).

My engineering background is sufficient enough to explain why this happens - it is unavoidable to a large degree. However, I just didn't seem to notice this as much with the California version and my only explanation is that the new 'World' version has more vertical structures.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else noticed. I still love the ride, but this is a little distracting for me. Perhaps if you are on the top row (I did not end up there on any of the times we road it last trip), it is not as noticeable.

Park Hopper
08-21-2017, 10:49 AM
Actually, I did some more homework and found out that the new movie was changed last year (June 2016, I think) and not this year, like I originally thought. Prior to this summer, we were there in late May/early June 2016 and the new movie was not in-place yet. I was thinking that it was new and perhaps no one had commented on it yet. A further check revealed that this has been discussed on other sites.

Sorry. For those of you who have not seen it yet, I definitely recommend trying to get the top/middle row.

texas211
08-21-2017, 05:13 PM
I liked the other movie better. Just thought it needed to be cleaned up.

But the new one is really cool in many ways.

mgmnut
08-21-2017, 10:24 PM
Yes it was June last year that it was switched, the movie was swapped on our last trip. Prior to the movie swap it was closed for refurb. They reopened it showing the old movie and switched it over overnight. We got to see the old movie one day and the next day rode it seeing the new movie. I think I am going to miss the old movie. I hope they bring it back from time to time or show the old movie in at least 1 theater eventually.

Park Hopper
08-22-2017, 08:41 AM
I think someone suggested that they could change up the sites you are 'visiting' so that it is different every time - like Star Tours. I think that would be pretty cool. I do miss the smell of oranges (which always made me nostalgic, thinking about Horizons).

I do like the visuals of the new movie, but am a little surprised that they filmed it in such a way that the distortion is quite pronounced if you are in side or lower seats. I have always thought that one of the things that sets Disney apart is their attention to details like that. Although I guess some things, like being able to see the water surface above you in the old 20,000 leagues ride, are unavoidable.

Roger's #1 Fan
08-24-2017, 04:34 PM
This is my biggest complaint about the new version.... unless you are in the middle section of the theatre, all the vertical images are distorted.

KAJUNKING
08-25-2017, 11:31 AM
We have noticed this as well and since have requested middle section top row. I think it does have more vertical structures and in addition to that its digital and very sharp so maybe its more pronounced because of it. I like the new movie much more than the old but this is certainly one of the issues.