PDA

View Full Version : Split stay question

NY GOOFY
07-31-2017, 01:11 PM
Planning a vacation for next year. Possibility of doing a split stay. Has anyone done this? If I don't have a car, how do I get everyone and luggage from one resort to another? Does Disney offer some sort of service?
Thanks

Simba's Mom
07-31-2017, 01:43 PM
I've done many split stays. In the morning I just drop my suitcase off at bell services, telling them I'm transferring and what the new hotel is. I think you can call and bell services will come and pick up your luggage, but I find it easier for me to just drop it off. Then I head to whichever park I'm planning on, and at the end of the day I head to my new resort. The new on-line check-in helps if you get the "room ready" text. That way you can just go to the new resort and straight to your new room. Unlike with DME, though, your luggage won't be in your room. You have to call bell services once you get into your new room to have them deliver it.

dlpmikki
08-01-2017, 12:32 PM
And if you have any stuff that needs refrigeration bell services can usually keep it cool for you.

The first time we did a split stay it seemed like a lot of effort but now we like staying in very different hotels and getting a complete change.

Fangorn
08-01-2017, 01:34 PM
As already mentioned, the mechanics are pretty simple. Have bell services come get your bags (or take it down yourself) and tell them what resort they need to be transferred to. Go about your plans for the day, then go to the new resort when you're ready.

Luggage transfer between resorts happens around 3pm, so don't plan on having your luggage available to you until around 4pm, even if your room is ready before then. You do have to be in your room on order for bags to be delivered to you. And tips on both ends are expected.

We do it a lot because we enjoy being at different resorts during a longer stay (and it's a quick way to collect lots of magic bands). But there are just the 2 of us. If you have small kids and you're in the habit of going back to your room for lunch or in the early afternoon, a split stay may not be ideal for you. You can be "homeless" and without your stuff when you most need it.

Alternatives would be to use Uber/Lyft or a taxi to take all your stuff to the new resort and check it with bell services. The new Minnie Vans would also be an option in this situation to get you directly from one resort to another. These alternatives would at least assure you that you can get to your luggage, even if your room isn't ready until later.

Steve

Isabella
08-03-2017, 01:58 PM
The new Minnie Vans would also be an option in this situation to get you directly from one resort to another. These alternatives would at least assure you that you can get to your luggage, even if your room isn't ready until later.

Steve
This could be cheaper than having bell service do it. At $20 for the trip it's almost break even or save depending on the amount you transfer. As Steve said we willingly tip for the convenience of the door to door service! Plus isn't it nice to spread a little magic to those who work so hard to make our trips magic? Just MHO... :party2:

Goofy4TheWorld
08-11-2017, 01:10 PM
You do have to be in your room on order for bags to be delivered to you. And tips on both ends are expected.
Steve

Having read this statement many times from numerous posts over the years, I was always reluctant to use luggage transfer (we have a car) because I didn't want to risk getting to our room at 10pm and having no luggage.

During one trip where we resort hopped twice, we had an exhausting experience hopping from Movies to AKL, and so my wife nagged me until I caved for the 2nd move. We had our luggage picked up at AKL and moved to Pop. I fully expected to have to wait for our luggage at Pop, but was floored to find our suitcases already in our Pop room without anyone being in the room. My wife was right, I was wrong, and she loved it!

I lack an explanation as to why it happened, but it's one of those things I wished I knew what the rule truly was.

Fangorn
08-11-2017, 04:34 PM
It does occasionally happen that bell services will deliver bags to your room without anyone being there. But it's not the norm. I suspect it's a matter of bell services either not being particularly busy or they didn't have the storage space for more bags. In any case, I chalk it up to the good will and pixie dust from the bell services folks.

Steve