PDA

View Full Version : Ellen/ Bill Nye ride?

Tiggerlovr9000
07-15-2017, 01:34 AM
Reading trip reports lately, I find that this ride is not discussed. Is it still open? Will it be open on our next trip, sept.22nd thru oct. 3rd? thanks for any info.

texas211
07-15-2017, 09:22 AM
At this point, U of Energy is not on the close schedule. However, it is generally accepted that it will be closing for some construction at some point this year, just with no timeline. That's been the heavy gossip lately.

VWL Mom
07-15-2017, 09:31 AM
According to DFreak's post (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?215569-D23-Announcements) this morning in the news/rumor forum, we may have an answer today after D23.

Tiggerlovr9000
07-15-2017, 02:46 PM
thanks for the replies. Will cross my fingers that we get to ride it one more time.

texas211
07-16-2017, 08:00 AM
Yeah DF reports that it'll be closed mid August.

Terra
07-16-2017, 12:00 PM
I love Bill Nye though. I think I'm the only one who even likes the UoE attraction! :mickey:
I do wish they would incorporate some Bill Nye into something hands on at EPCOT Future World.
My sons especially love him.

texas211
07-16-2017, 04:45 PM
Can't stand the OoE, Nye can fade away. Ellen's voice should be labeled a wmd. I will miss a good place to take an hour long nap in air conditioning. That is what most people will miss. Between that and France, not enough places to take an air conditioned nap. That will be what is missed most.

Fusillejerry
07-16-2017, 05:04 PM
I love Bill Nye though. I think I'm the only one who even likes the UoE attraction! :mickey:
I do wish they would incorporate some Bill Nye into something hands on at EPCOT Future World.
You're not alone. Yes, the movie was outdated, but I always loved the retro feel and edutainment factor of UOE. I was sad to hear it's closing so soon and that my kids won't get one last chance to see the dinosaurs. They also enjoy watching Bill Nye's old shows.

Terra
07-16-2017, 05:22 PM
Can't stand the OoE, Nye can fade away. Ellen's voice should be labeled a wmd. I will miss a good place to take an hour long nap in air conditioning. That is what most people will miss. Between that and France, not enough places to take an air conditioned nap. That will be what is missed most.
Are you normally this cranky in life or are you just irritated with me from the other thread? ;)

You're not alone. Yes, the movie was outdated, but I always loved the retro feel and edutainment factor of UOE. I was sad to hear it's closing so soon and that my kids won't get one last chance to see the dinosaurs. They also enjoy watching Bill Nye's old shows.
Yeah, I actually show my science students some of the old episodes, many very revelant still.

texas211
07-16-2017, 05:38 PM
No, just like good rides. Hate bad ones. I like the idea and UoE. But the broken animatronics and Bill/Ellen, yeah, it can go/ I'd prefer for a non GotG ride, but something along the energy side of things. I think someone had suggested a Walle type ride.

JerseyDad
07-16-2017, 08:18 PM
..... actually ....love the ride. It's relaxing ....... informative .....comical ....and Jamie Lee Curtis ......is a "hottie".

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Terra
07-16-2017, 10:58 PM
No, just like good rides. Hate bad ones. I like the idea and UoE. But the broken animatronics and Bill/Ellen, yeah, it can go/ I'd prefer for a non GotG ride, but something along the energy side of things. I think someone had suggested a Walle type ride.

I do love Wall-E and think it would be a good addition, especially in light of its message and relevance!

Fusillejerry
07-17-2017, 07:20 AM
Yes, replacing UOE with GotG is the true sin here IMO. I can see GotG in Hollywood Studios, but not Epcot. That said, at least it appears that the UOE building will remain intact. I really like the look of that building.

baldburke
07-17-2017, 12:37 PM
Replacing Ellen with GotG sounds like a win/win to me! It was a great way ot relaxt but the show was definitely outdated. This weekends announcements with GotG and Ratatouille in France were nice but Epcot definitely needs more love!

DadTriton
07-27-2017, 11:39 PM
Jamie Lee Curtis and 40 minutes in AC makes this a mid-afternoon must do.

Sylvia
07-28-2017, 05:07 PM

For some reason it won't permit me to include Terra's comment in this reply. :confused::confused:

Count me in the group - Looks like we're a fan group of 3. Two more of my favorites (UoE and GMR) will be closing 2 days before I check in for my next Disney vacation.:( :(

Although I've been on both so many times over the years, I'll also miss the chance to see the dinosaurs one more time, as well as most of the scenes in the GMR.

Sylvia
07-28-2017, 05:11 PM

You're not the only one who likes the UoE. See my other post. :) :)

Daisy'sMom
07-29-2017, 01:10 PM
I'm sad to see this go. It was always a must do for us.

texas211
07-29-2017, 02:48 PM
I'm sad to see this go. It was always a must do for us.

Yeah, it be great if they would just revitalize than replace. New animatronics, new script, different actors, but still perhaps an energy story. Talk about where we are going, or some twist on where we've been We are destined to lose all of our animatronics at some point. While I'm certainly no fan of the current incarnation, I just would like to see a reimagination (but no more 3d or anything). Maybe I'm just old fashioned.

Park Hopper
08-18-2017, 09:18 AM
Yes, replacing UOE with GotG is the true sin here IMO. I can see GotG in Hollywood Studios, but not Epcot. That said, at least it appears that the UOE building will remain intact. I really like the look of that building.

I too enjoy UOE in its current state, but can understand that it at least needs to be upgraded/made current. I cannot say that I am thrilled with the idea to change it into a GotG ride. I have seen one of the movies and it was entertaining, but not anything classic to me. Regardless, I am interested to see if they make an attempt to keep an energy theme while using the GotG characters, or if they are just going to ignore the original premise of the ride (and Epcot in general) and just make it a storyline based on the movies.

I hope they keep some kind of energy message/theme to it. They did not keep any of the original 'educational' type content when they changed the Living Seas Ride and Malestorm, but I guess one could argue that those are just rides within larger pavilions/areas that still have not changed conceptually. The UOE ride is the pavilion. I like Nemo and Frozen, but would be disappointed if they just dropped a ride that belonged in Magic Kingdom or HS into Epcot. As others have suggested, maybe they are ready to completely abandon the original concept of Future World. I guess I will wait and see what they do with the ride.

1DisneyNut
08-18-2017, 10:43 AM
I can't even remember the last time we did UoE. It had to be over 10 years ago and I forgot it was still there. I can't stand Ellen and I remember it being kind of corny. Nobody liked it including the kids so we just quit going in it so count me in as one that won't miss it at all.

On a side note, I still to this day do not understand why people say Jamie Lee Curtis is hot. She has never done anything for me at all. Even back when I was a teenager and people were talking about how hot she was in Halloween, I was like what are they talking about? She always struck me as the friend's mom that was always asking you if you wanted a slice of banana-nut bread every time you went over to their house.....no thanks friend's mom. lol

texas211
08-18-2017, 01:07 PM
I can't even remember the last time we did UoE. It had to be over 10 years ago and I forgot it was still there. I can't stand Ellen and I remember it being kind of corny. Nobody liked it including the kids so we just quit going in it so count me in as one that won't miss it at all.

On a side note, I still to this day do not understand why people say Jamie Lee Curtis is hot. She has never done anything for me at all. Even back when I was a teenager and people were talking about how hot she was in Halloween, I was like what are they talking about? She always struck me as the friend's mom that was always asking you if you wanted a slice of banana-nut bread every time you went over to their house.....no thanks friend's mom. lol

Yea, I like the original a lot better. The whole jeopardy and Ellen thing was just horrible. Especially her animatronics.

Well, I think it was like using Kelly McGillis for Top Gun or Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction. It just doesn't make sense.

Simba's Mom
08-19-2017, 01:44 PM
You're not the only one who likes the UoE.

I enjoy it also. For me, it's partially because of the nostalgia factor-I'm old enough to remember going to the New York World's Fair and having those dinosaurs blow steam out of their noses as I rode by there also (although I think it was at a different ride). Also, it was a nice rest, cool, fairly quiet, I get to sit for over 30 minutes. Although I admit that for most people, the ride was boring.

disney daddy
09-04-2017, 01:17 PM

Amen texas211. 😴😴😴

I hope you and yours are safe and sound after Harvey. God bless.

texas211
09-06-2017, 09:06 AM
Amen texas211. ������

I hope you and yours are safe and sound after Harvey. God bless.

I appreciate the thought. Thank you. But, I live in DFW. So we are just helping those that have come up here. Lots of coordination.