PDA

View Full Version : Silly question about VR cameras...

PopPhan
06-15-2017, 10:47 AM
This is probably not what anyone is thinking upon reading the title, but...

I am getting the Samsung Galaxy Gear 360 [2017 version] and am looking to bring it with me to the parks in November.

Now, I know 'selfie sticks' are not allowed, but I found an option that might work, if allowed...There are head straps that a small camera, like the Gear 360, can be mounted to that would not be much, if any, taller than the top of my head (depending upon how high I wore the strap).

I am just looking to find out if this would be a feasible answer for getting 360 degree video from what would basically be my eye level without interfering with anyone else in the parks.

Maybe I'm just being silly and this is not worth the effort, but it would definitely give a different view of fireworks displays and some of the rides....

Arielfan98
06-15-2017, 12:06 PM
So I can't answer your question directly, but when I went to EPCOT in Jan 2017, the security check point took away a guy's camera mounting device. I can't remember exactly what it was, but I remember it not being a selfie stick. It was something that could help him steadily hold the camera in his hand. I'd call Disney directly and ask.

brownie
06-15-2017, 03:56 PM
Maybe. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/parks/restricted-personal-items/

1DisneyNut
06-15-2017, 05:26 PM
I don't know if they would allow it or not but it still sounds like it may be considered like a selfie stick. I do know that if it is above your head and you were in front of me on an attraction or at a show and it was obstructing my view, it would tick me off and I would ask you to remove it.

BrerGnat
06-15-2017, 06:16 PM
Considering there are a bunch of 360 videos of Disney park rides on You Tube, I think you'll be fine with a head mount.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

PopPhan
06-15-2017, 07:32 PM
I don't know if they would allow it or not but it still sounds like it may be considered like a selfie stick. I do know that if it is above your head and you were in front of me on an attraction or at a show and it was obstructing my view, it would tick me off and I would ask you to remove it.

This setup would NOT be above my head at all. The side mount would maybe put the top of the camera even with the top of my head and the cap mount maybe an inch higher. Believe me, I was thinking about that when getting this rig. The camera itself is under 4" in height and the head mount is a side mount with the camera connecting at the top of my ear.

It would end up lower than Mouse Ears! :cool:

I see more people holding their phones up above their heads than ever before. Always nice /sarcasm/ to look at the castle and see nothing be phone screens. I understand your concerns.