PDA

View Full Version : WDW without a car - How reliable are the buses?

ScubaTrek
05-14-2017, 09:28 PM
Our family of 3 is going to Orlando for 2 weeks this summer, one week of Disney and one week of Universal. Since we're staying at Saratoga Springs for our Disney week, my wife wants to skip the rental car and depend on the WDW transportation for that week. That makes me nervous since I've never been without a personal vehicle on a trip like this. Also, we're traveling at near peak season (last week of July) and I'm worried about bus delays due to crowds. Any advice would be helpful. Should I be worried about this, or is the Disney transportation reliable enough? We're planning to be at each park at rope drop and probably stay until closing.

jonsmom
05-14-2017, 10:09 PM
Our family of 3 is going to Orlando for 2 weeks this summer, one week of Disney and one week of Universal. Since we're staying at Saratoga Springs for our Disney week, my wife wants to skip the rental car and depend on the WDW transportation for that week. That makes me nervous since I've never been without a personal vehicle on a trip like this. Also, we're traveling at near peak season (last week of July) and I'm worried about bus delays due to crowds. Any advice would be helpful. Should I be worried about this, or is the Disney transportation reliable enough? We're planning to be at each park at rope drop and probably stay until closing.
You now have an option of using an express type bus for a fee for the week. it loads passengers at the rear entrance of parks. Try searching boards

Sent from my RCT6603W87M7 using Tapatalk

njespers
05-14-2017, 10:26 PM

The Disney buses are VERY reliable. Including the Magical Express from the airport. Transportation from Saratoga Springs to Universal? Different story. That would be completely on you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Horizon One
05-14-2017, 10:35 PM
I have never had an issue with the transportation at Disney. The worst is if you just miss a bus and have to wait the 15 minutes until the next one

mom2morgan
05-15-2017, 12:02 AM
We have never used anything BUT the busses, and really like them. Yes, sometimes they get very crowded and there can be delays...but I would imagine getting to the parking lots and then getting OUT of a crowded parking lot and navigating around while it's busy wouldn't be any easier. For me, I just don't need that stress :-)

VWL Mom
05-15-2017, 05:42 AM
We use the buses for the most part, be there early and you should have no problem with rope drop. We also use Uber when we don't feel like waiting or have dinner ADR's at another resort, still comes out cheaper than renting a car. BTW our fare from WL to Universal was $16 each way.

faline
05-15-2017, 10:10 AM
We mostly always use only Disney transportation. We have stayed at Saratoga Springs on our last several trips. Buses are generally reliable but there can be exceptions. We have sometimes had a longish wait for a bus and, though rare, have not been able to board a bus that fills up before we are able to board. If you stay to park closing, there can sometimes be longish waits for a bus back to your resort though Disney is generally good at directing multiple buses to stops that have long lines.

Dulcee
05-15-2017, 11:27 AM
The buses are reliable in regards to they are always going to eventually get you where you need to go. The key there is eventually. We really prefer to have our own vehicle on property. It cuts travel time to parks down substantially and is far more convenient for resort dining.

Speedy1998
05-15-2017, 12:21 PM
Other than leaving the parks after the fireworks with 40,000 other guest, I have only had a problem with Disney transportation one other time. In that case the wheel chair lift got stuck in the down position, and it took 25 minutes for a replacement bus to arrive.

#1donaldfan
05-17-2017, 12:36 PM
We love the bus system, even though they can get crowded !! That is a Disney must ... you're just not at Disney unless you're pushed into a crowded bus!!!! Plus, after leaving a park, tired, sweaty, simply beat down, it's nice to just relax and let someone drive you "home" ......