PDA

View Full Version : Happily Ever After

Zippy 1
05-13-2017, 01:26 AM
When Disney announced WISHES would be ending I was very sad. I have loved that show since it started. I did no think I could possibly like a new show. Well I was wrong! The premier of Happily Ever After was fantastic! I can not wait to see it again and again:mickey:

DonaldDuck1117
05-13-2017, 08:16 AM
I did not enjoy Happily Ever After and it pails in comparison to Wishes. The fireworks were great as were the castle projection. Visually stunning. But it was disjointed, it lacked heart, soul, emotion, and didn't make me feel anything. Why? It didn't tell me a story. And I found myself getting bored before it was over and that is crazy bc fireworks are my favorite part of my Disney day.

It seemed like it was just fireworks set to Disney music and they tried to jam every Disney movie made into the show which led to the lack of cohesion.

For a company that says storytelling is what they do they forget to tell one with their new MK firework show and it made s difference. Bring back Wishes.

eam
05-13-2017, 08:18 AM
Just watched it on Youtube. It was truly AMAZING!

PopPhan
05-13-2017, 09:22 AM
For what it was, I enjoyed the show, but it is a 'one and done' show for me. On my next 7 (park) day trip, I will make sure I see it in person once; I will see Rivers of Light once; then the rest of my nights will be at Illuminations or Fantasmic (or the Star Wars fireworks, if they are still around).

VWL Mom
05-13-2017, 12:50 PM
I did not enjoy Happily Ever After and it pails in comparison to Wishes. The fireworks were great as were the castle projection. Visually stunning. But it was disjointed, it lacked heart, soul, emotion, and didn't make me feel anything. Why? It didn't tell me a story. And I found myself getting bored before it was over and that is crazy bc fireworks are my favorite part of my Disney day.

It seemed like it was just fireworks set to Disney music and they tried to jam every Disney movie made into the show which led to the lack of cohesion.

For a company that says storytelling is what they do they forget to tell one with their new MK firework show and it made s difference.

:exactly:

Dulcee
05-13-2017, 01:25 PM

For a company that says storytelling is what they do they forget to tell one with their new MK firework show and it made s difference. Bring back Wishes.

I feel like we saw different shows. I've had it playing on repeat on youtube while cleaning today. I felt like it hit all the swell up, hug your kid, make your dream come true emotions.

MNNHFLTX
05-13-2017, 01:36 PM
I am looking forward to seeing Happily Ever After at some point. Wishes was great, but got kind of old to me after a while. Personally I don't care if it tells a story as much as it has a message that touches my heart.

05-13-2017, 02:24 PM

A lot of my same feelings. I didn't think the fireworks were "themed" to either the audio track or the projection. I also got bored about 10 minutes in so really need to watch it again but for me, it seemed to remind me of CTM, which I thought was just a commercial for Disney movies.

As a "replacement" projection show for the earlier versions, I was saddened to see no visual or even mention of Walt, Mickey or Cinderella as was present in earlier projection offerings. Maybe I was just so bored I just missed it. Will need to watch again.

In the prelude to the live stream it was said that the theme was to follow your dreams to a "happily ever after" conclusion. Nowhere could that have been better exemplified than the history of Walt Disney.

All above is only my opinion. If others liked the show, so be it. I'm happy for them but for me, not so thrilled with the offering. I feel they could have done a LOT better.

brownie
05-13-2017, 03:46 PM
I really enjoyed seeing the live stream. Looking forward to seeing it in person.

Figment!
05-13-2017, 04:41 PM
Here's the official replay of the Live Stream Debut:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCteM1wqHCE

The actual show starts at about 14:54.

buzznwoodysmom
05-13-2017, 07:16 PM

You took the words right out of my mouth! Couldn't agree with you more! I was also hoping to see something, anything, about Walt in the new show.

We watched it on YouTube on our TV and even my 15 year old son said it was just OK. We thought it was visually stunning, but the music, fireworks and projections came off like a chaotic , jumbled mess in our opinion! My son said "well I guess we can ride rides during the fireworks now". We will surely watch it in person, but I didn't feel the emotional tug that I feel when watching Wishes. Maybe it will grow on me.

Really wish WDW had something like world of color. Saw it once in DL and it is one of my all time favorite Disney nighttime shows.

brad192
05-13-2017, 08:30 PM
Just watched the video, and I have to say that it didn't "flip my switch", as it were. The projections & pyro were great, but there wasn't any cohesiveness. No real story or clear message. The narration spoke of a journey, but what journey? A journey of random Disney songs (most of which I didn't even recognize) coupled with over-the-top castle projections & fireworks designed to elicit oohs and ahhs from the crowd?

I expected better from Disney. Wishes pressed all my buttons & I ended up teary-eyed each time I viewed it. Granted, it was a bit stale after its long tenure, but you'd think the Imagineers could have come up with something a bit more engaging, given the quality of the program they were assigned to replace.

As for me, I think this will be a one-and-done. Perhaps once each trip, but I'll reserve final judgement until I see it live (Intercot 20!).

DonaldDuck1117
05-13-2017, 11:46 PM
Like I said before I think visually it is superior to Wishes but severely lacking in story and heart. Wishes was a must for my wife and I. We would see it several times during our weeklong trips, and it was always, always how we spent our last night. I think our last night will be at Illuminations now.

And I don't want any one to think that I wouldn't of been happy with any Wishes replacement. When the castle projection show was announced I was determined to hate it. Then I saw it for the first time and my heart melted. That original song was amazing and made me fight back tears. And I think that's another reason why Happily Ever After struggles the original song is not very good.

Just very disappointed. If you are going to replace a classic like Wishes you better nail it and I don't feel like they did.

05-14-2017, 12:08 AM
When the castle projection show was announced I was determined to hate it. Then I saw it for the first time and my heart melted. That original song was amazing and made me fight back tears.

Assuming you are talking about the first projection show, The Magic The Memories & You, the audio track and the lyrics were just awesome and inspiring. I play the audio track at least 3 times a week. Love the song and the "storyline" lyrics.

A twinkle of light
A tower so tall
A princess prepares to have her big night at the ball
Wish on a star, wherever you are
You can make a favorite memory
You sail 'round the world
You fly through the air
So high in the sky that you can see most anywhere
The wind in your face
You feel your heart race
Every time you make a memory
There's the place to be
Look around and see
Memories are forever here and now
Millions of them, too
Dancing next to you
Go as far as dreaming will allow
The pictures we make are dreams that come true
They open a window to a memory made by you
They shine like a friend and won't ever end
Open up your heart and let the memories begin!

Every day a favorite memory
Share another perfect memory
(To all who come to this happy place... welcome!)
Begin!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDZzki52WWY

Polynesian Dweller
05-14-2017, 11:13 AM
The Disney Parks livestream didn't do it justice. They focussed so closely on the castle projections that they missed most of the pyro. If that's all you watched search out another video. The pyro is constant and very impressive. The whole show is much better and more cohesive than Disney's own stream made it appear. Don't know why Disney's one people would put on such a bad stream because the show is amazing if shown or seen correctly.

BrerGnat
05-14-2017, 06:03 PM
The Disney Parks livestream didn't do it justice. They focussed so closely on the castle projections that they missed most of the pyro. If that's all you watched search out another video. The pyro is constant and very impressive. The whole show is much better and more cohesive than Disney's own stream made it appear. Don't know why Disney's one people would put on such a bad stream because the show is amazing if shown or seen correctly.
I completely agree. There are much better videos on You Tube. I gave up on Disney live streams a long time ago. They are always such awful angles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

DonaldDuck1117
05-16-2017, 12:25 AM
Assuming you are talking about the first projection show, The Magic The Memories & You, the audio track and the lyrics were just awesome and inspiring. I play the audio track at least 3 times a week. Love the song and the "storyline" lyrics.

A twinkle of light
A tower so tall
A princess prepares to have her big night at the ball
Wish on a star, wherever you are
You can make a favorite memory
You sail 'round the world
You fly through the air
So high in the sky that you can see most anywhere
The wind in your face
You feel your heart race
Every time you make a memory
There's the place to be
Look around and see
Memories are forever here and now
Millions of them, too
Dancing next to you
Go as far as dreaming will allow

Every day a favorite memory
Share another perfect memory
(To all who come to this happy place... welcome!)
Begin!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDZzki52WWY

I loved it. I think it's the best version they have done. Still gets me.

HIA is just a very different kind of firework show than Wishes. And that's fine. I prefer more of s story and narrative. This seems to have the focus be on visual than storytelling. It just surprised me Disney decided to do something so different.

05-16-2017, 01:10 AM

HIA is just a very different kind of firework show than Wishes. And that's fine. I prefer more of s story and narrative. This seems to have the focus be on visual than storytelling. It just surprised me Disney decided to do something so different.

Green text: From a pure storyline / audio, I fully agree. From an image / visual imaging presentation, HEA is the best, but it should be as they have been upgrading the technology . hardware ever since MMY first began.

Red text: Really doesn't to me. I've worked parades / fireworks at MK for 8 years and my "gut" impression over the last 3 or 4 years now is that the company in general is trying to shift focus to a "different", more digital, younger generation thinking type of guest. My Magic +, cell phone apps, immersive digital style attractions rather than older style mechanical ones, digital designed visuals, more technology immersive parade design (PtN). You can see where I'm going with this. Don't get me wrong either, I love a lot of the newer stuff.

Not that all of this is wrong either, Disney / WDW is a business after all, but some of the story lines and more palatable audio (for us older folks at least) that many of us know and loved from Disney seems to be heading by the wayside.

It's funny, when I work Trolley on opening shifts, the majority of guests just blast right up Main St., noses in their phones, not really taking time to appreciate the story lines and details of the front portion of the park. For old geezers like me that grew up with the Disney shows of the early days long before WDW, sometimes I wonder why. To many guests today, Disney is an amusement park like Universal and not the "theme park" that was conceived.

Sorry, I've extended my rant too long.

brad192
05-16-2017, 01:31 PM
...It's funny, when I work Trolley on opening shifts, the majority of guests just blast right up Main St., noses in their phones, not really taking time to appreciate the story lines and details of the front portion of the park. For old geezers like me that grew up with the Disney shows of the early days long before WDW, sometimes I wonder why...

Couldn't have said it better myself. Sometimes it's good to be an old geezer, huh? We're still able to put the technology aside & enjoy living in the REAL world, enjoying all the little things and experiences that are much more important than that latest post on Twitter.

BrerGnat
05-16-2017, 02:53 PM

I keep seeing this criticism that HEA has no "story." I couldn't disagree more. This one has a very clear story and it is much more deep and powerful than "make a wish and it will come true."

This is basically a presentation of the classic "Hero's Journey" from literature. Essentially, seek your own dreams, work hard, make friends, find and give love, have courage/be brave, fight adversity, and never forget who you are. You can have your dreams but it's up to you to pursue them. They won't be granted by a magic fairy.

I found the projections and narrative were pretty clear and this is the story they were telling. I thought it was very powerful.

I urge everyone to pay attention and maybe watch the show a few times (in HD if you can) and you will get the story. It is overwhelming the first time you see it because there is a lot going on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

magicofdisney
05-17-2017, 08:33 AM
The fireworks always have and probably always will be my favorite part of any nighttime offering.

I'm SO spoiled right now. I can see these fireworks from my bedroom window. I've said it once and I'll say it again, I don't think that will ever grow old for me. I will mourn the end of Wishes but I'm excited for new beginnings as well, as long as Disney maintains a standard of excellence. :mickey:

#1donaldfan
05-17-2017, 12:49 PM
I can hardly wait to see it ... we will be on this next trip with a newbie, so extra excited !!

IMADisneyFreak
05-17-2017, 07:29 PM
It's funny, when I work Trolley on opening shifts, the majority of guests just blast right up Main St., noses in their phones, not really taking time to appreciate the story lines and details of the front portion of the park. For old geezers like me that grew up with the Disney shows of the early days long before WDW, sometimes I wonder why. To many guests today, Disney is an amusement park like Universal and not the "theme park" that was conceived.

I can relate to this statement as well. The early years, when my kids were little, we would walk right down Main Street to the castle and into the parks for the rides. Then, a few years ago when the kids were older (myself a little wiser) we were heading down Main Street when I stopped and looked around and realized that there are many shops that I never noticed before! Now I take my time to appreciate it all...

KAJUNKING
05-19-2017, 11:46 AM
I quite enjoyed Happily Ever After from the videos I have seen and cant wait t see it in person. My only concern is that you have to facing the castle to really see the entire show as opposed to wishes which could be seen from just about anywhere in Magic Kingdom. I think this will lead to an even more crowded Main St

Tink#64
05-19-2017, 07:38 PM
We were there for both the Wishes finale & the premier of Happily Ever After and we all LOVED the new show! As much as we have always loved Wishes, ready for a change and we were all absolutely thrilled with HEA! Stunning!

Sylvia
05-19-2017, 08:30 PM
It's funny, when I work Trolley on opening shifts, the majority of guests just blast right up Main St., noses in their phones, not really taking time to appreciate the story lines and details of the front portion of the park. For old geezers like me that grew up with the Disney shows of the early days long before WDW, sometimes I wonder why.

Another old geezer here. Maybe we should start a thread aimed at old geezers like us who realize WDW isn't identified just by the latest thrill ride.

You'll never see me rushing to get nowhere fast, only to wait in a long line. Main Street USA has always been my most favorite 'land" in the MK. I've had to change my usual routine, since the Main Street Bakery no longer carries my usual MK breakfast, but otherwise, I love spending time enjoying the atmosphere and checking out all of the windows, shops, etc. If my timing is correct, I can also enjoy some of my favorite performers.

So, look for me in August, as I slowly explore Main Street, the same way I've always started each day in the MK for 43+ years and still counting,

thejens
05-27-2017, 11:17 PM
I know I didn't go into it with a totally open mind, but I can't say I loved Happily Ever After. Technically it was impressive. If I had never seen Wishes I am sure I would like it. Maybe if I grew up on the newer movies I'd like it more. It just seemed like a frenetic montage of every Disney movie made in the last 20 years. No Walt. Tinkerbell's flight at the end seemed like an afterthought. The music was strangely unmoving- maybe because it kept changing so rapidly from one song/movie to another. I don't know if this was just an impression, but it seemed to keep changing, packing in so many images, so many different songs, so many different characters. As if the marketers told the imagineers to appeal to our ADHD generation who must flip to a new image on instagram every second.

I left feeling sad. But my teenagers liked it and put photos of it on their "story" on instagram or snapchat or whatever.