PDA

View Full Version : New security at Magic Kingdom - I just don't get it☹️️

Katzateer
05-11-2017, 11:04 AM
Just got back from a quick trip to WDW to see Wishes and the new security check points are confusing. I went from Epcot monorail to the ferry to MK entrance with no checkpoint.

And yesterday morning from resort hotel bus to entrance of MK with no checkpoint. It was about 90 minutes before park opened ( going to a resort breakfast).

How is this more secure?.

VWL Mom
05-11-2017, 11:33 AM
The first part I get (sort of) because the EP monorail leaves from a "secure" area and drops you inside the TTC "secure" area.

The second part though may just have been because you were that early but makes no sense at all. I wonder how early the bus security opens?

brownie
05-11-2017, 09:42 PM
Moving this to the Theme Parks forum.

magicofdisney
05-12-2017, 08:11 AM
Just got back from a quick trip to WDW to see Wishes and the new security check points are confusing. I went from Epcot monorail to the ferry to MK entrance with no checkpoint.

And yesterday morning from resort hotel bus to entrance of MK with no checkpoint. It was about 90 minutes before park opened ( going to a resort breakfast).

There's supposed to be a security checkpoint between the busses and MK entrance. Last time I was there, it was the old exit area when leaving the parks to return to bus loading. I too am surprised nothing was in place when you got there, regardless of time.

Ian
05-12-2017, 08:25 AM
My guess is they just didn't have it set up because you were so early. We spent a week there earlier this month and had to go through security every time we went to MK.

mandaep
05-15-2017, 07:38 PM

Did you get checked before you got on the monorail at Epcot? They have been checking people before they get on the monorail, and if you go from epcot for example to MK you can just walk into MK without being checked again because that area is now secure... did you take a monorail before your breakfast reservation and was checked before you got on it? I like the new security updates because I feel like the surrounding areas are safe and being monitored not just the entrance with a giant bottle neck of people trying to get their bags checked at one time.

Buttercup
05-30-2017, 02:15 PM
Here's a question, since I haven't been to the parks since they moved the security checkpoints. So maybe one of you can clarify.

In August, I'm staying at Ft. Wilderness. If I want to take the boat from the resort to MK, there will be a checkpoint at the Ft. Wilderness side of things, correct? Presumably at the boat dock, correct?

And then, if I'm at Ft. Wilderness and I want to take the bus to any of the other parks, there will be a checkpoint at the bus stop leaving Ft Wilderness?

Is that right? So every resort is going to have a checkpoint at the hotels before you can board a boat/bus/monorail? I'm curious to see where these checkpoints are located in proximity to the bus stops etc.

cer
05-30-2017, 10:26 PM
Is that right? So every resort is going to have a checkpoint at the hotels before you can board a boat/bus/monorail? I'm curious to see where these checkpoints are located in proximity to the bus stops etc.

Not exactly. First off, as I understand it, the only park that has a change in the security check point location is Magic Kingdom.

When you arrive via bus, you get on at your resort location and then when you exit the bus, they have positioned the security checkpoint much closer to the area where you disembark. So instead of security being right at the front of the park, it is near the bus stop area.

On the monorail resorts, you will go through security before boarding the monorail to the MK.

For those arriving via ferry from the TTC, the security check point is at the TTC.

For those arriving via boats from the resorts, I *think* that security is on the dock after your boat arrives at MK, I am not sure on that one, someone correct me if I am wrong.

Also, there is a security checkpoint right where the walkway from the Contemporary meets the MK property.

This is my understanding of the new security checkpoints for MK - I have not experienced this personally.

texas211
05-31-2017, 08:30 PM
Well, if that is the case, that might be better. It's been like a cattle call so far. Just horrible chaos. This has been the straw though, (all the security nonsense). We plan to go less frequently. Go have other vacations.

But, topic at hand. Glad they are making it cleaner and more efficient.

disneycutie165
07-06-2017, 10:27 AM
In August, I'm staying at Ft. Wilderness. If I want to take the boat from the resort to MK, there will be a checkpoint at the Ft. Wilderness side of things, correct? Presumably at the boat dock, correct?

We've watched a bunch of videos of post-construction at WL and there are no checkpoints at the dock at WL, so I'm assuming the same thing for the campground.

VWL Mom
07-06-2017, 12:35 PM
We've watched a bunch of videos of post-construction at WL and there are no checkpoints at the dock at WL, so I'm assuming the same thing for the campground.
The checkpoint will be upon arrival at the MK dock .

texas211
07-06-2017, 08:06 PM
You know, in light of security concerns and to make sure everyone is safe, Disney should go ahead and close all parks, and make a virtual Disney World you visit online. This way, everyone can do it safely at home. NO group of people, no target.

PopPhan
07-06-2017, 08:24 PM
You know, in light of security concerns and to make sure everyone is safe, Disney should go ahead and close all parks, and make a virtual Disney World you visit online. This way, everyone can do it safely at home. NO group of people, no target.

Relax a bit, won't you? :D I have to go through bag check(s) and metal detectors to go to a concert in Hershey (PA) and that is a lot fewer people than go through the gates of any Disney park in a day. If it at least gives the appearance of safety and park goers can believe that they are safer and more secure to enjoy their day, I see no problems with this at all.

texas211
07-06-2017, 10:20 PM
Relax a bit, won't you? :D I have to go through bag check(s) and metal detectors to go to a concert in Hershey (PA) and that is a lot fewer people than go through the gates of any Disney park in a day. If it at least gives the appearance of safety and park goers can believe that they are safer and more secure to enjoy their day, I see no problems with this at all.

I've been to PA. I've routinely seen knife fights between Hershey's Kisses and Mars Bars thugs. Happens all the time in. They take milk chocolate seriously. :)

I'd don't agree. For appearance sake really irks me. But so much of that kind of thing is just lip service. As i've mentioned in other posts, I'm not a fan of the old new (if that makes sense) security. Now this new one. But, with some of the other things going on at the resorts, we'll likely stick w/ offsite anyways, else go someplace other than Orlando.

disneycutie165
07-07-2017, 09:23 AM
I have to go through bag check(s) and metal detectors to go to a concert in Hershey (PA) and that is a lot fewer people than go through the gates of any Disney park in a day.

Even in Israel to visit the Dome of the Rock we went through super tight security, bag checks and detectors. I mean, it all makes sense. I'd rather they check me and wait a little while in chaos than not check at all!

ThanxForNoticin
07-07-2017, 12:12 PM
The days of not checking what people are carrying before entering a public place like this are way behind us. We already do it for travel, sporting events, concerts, amusement parks, etc. It sadly has become our world. But I'm not going to let a 5-15 minute delay when entering the park take away from the excitement and joy I feel inside the park.

And how effective are the security checkpoints? I expect we'll never know how many people might be pulled from the lines - quietly - and removed as a potential threat each day. But I would prefer to go through the security checks, because I prefer that others go through the security checks. And I'm going to account for the delay and not let it ruin my day!

texas211
07-07-2017, 03:18 PM
Well, like sporting events, maybe they should ban bags, limit stroller size, tablets, etc.

RunDMV
10-21-2017, 02:21 PM
It's not more secure. In fact, I would argue the bag check facade is less secure.

So, ostensibly, on one gets in the park with a weapon or explosive device.

But, Disney creates a huge logjam of people just outside the "Security check." This logjam of hundred of people, packed tightly, makes a huge target.

Daisy'sMom
10-24-2017, 04:26 PM
Sorry Run, I wanted to like your post

texas211
10-24-2017, 07:35 PM
Unfortunately they are right.

RunDMV
10-24-2017, 08:10 PM
Sorry Run, I wanted to like your post

Nuttn' but a thing, duck wing.