PDA

View Full Version : April the Giraffe

VWL Mom
04-02-2017, 08:48 AM
Has anyone else been waiting and watching for April to give birth? :stork: I think I'm becoming obsessed :blush: And watching Oliver pacing in the pen next to her is exhausting!!

Animal Adventure Park Giraffe Cam (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClnQCgFa9lCBL-KXZMOoO9Q/live)

BrowncatP
04-02-2017, 10:19 AM
Yes, I have been watching. I enjoy reading the peoples comments on the AAP facebook page.Now every time she poops I get excited thinking this is it!

MNNHFLTX
04-02-2017, 04:02 PM
I've watched it in passing here and there, but it seems like she has been on the verge forever! I understand the publicity it's garnered for the Animal Adventure park, but every day they are like "Is this the day??" At least that's what it seems like from the times I've been to the site. Supposedly she was due in mid-February, so why wouldn't zookeepers be more concerned about being overdue by over a month?

cspenc28
04-03-2017, 07:17 AM
Mid February was based on the first time they saw April and Oliver mate, but based on the last time they actually mated, her "due" date was end of March. A giraffe can be pregnant for 15 months, give or take 30+ days. She technically wouldn't truly be overdue until the end of April.
They discussed this in one of their live videos.

I've watched it in passing here and there, but it seems like she has been on the verge forever! I understand the publicity it's garnered for the Animal Adventure park, but every day they are like "Is this the day??" At least that's what it seems like from the times I've been to the site. Supposedly she was due in mid-February, so why wouldn't zookeepers be more concerned about being overdue by over a month?

MNNHFLTX
04-03-2017, 04:04 PM
Mid February was based on the first time they saw April and Oliver mate, but based on the last time they actually mated, her "due" date was end of March. A giraffe can be pregnant for 15 months, give or take 30+ days. She technically wouldn't truly be overdue until the end of April.
They discussed this in one of their live videos.

Thank you for the explanation. I must confess that I am still skeptical about the intent of the zoo's live cam on April. I do think they've been hyping it endlessly for the sake of publicity, but I guess that's not the worst thing in the world.

Ed
04-05-2017, 01:35 PM
The Harford County (MD) Sheriff's Department published this wanted poster today.