PDA

View Full Version : "Calories don't count at Disney"

missymouseworld
02-04-2017, 03:31 PM
I saw this info on the local community college's Facebook site and thought it was interesting.......

"Calories Don’t Count at Disney!
A Middlesex County College student club, “Middlesex, Math and the Mouse,” recently visited the Disney attractions in Florida for research purposes. They have been investigating ways to use statistics to predict wait times for rides, and in the fall semester, heard from Len Testa, who has written books on the subject. The club was created to provide students a nonthreatening, practical application of material taught in Statistics courses at MCC by allowing students to analyze and gather real data at Walt Disney World. Club members learned there's no reason to count calories when you're on vacation there. The data suggest that adult women can eat over 3,700 calories per day and lose weight, if they are over 150 lbs. and spend six hours actively touring the parks. Another research project involved predicting the wait times of lines and creating a plan to avoid waiting in the longest ones. The club members were able to complete a challenge of four parks in one day, which requires visits to all four parks and completion of at least two-thirds of the major attractions in each park in less than 12 hours. The club is in the process of creating a searchable database that will allow students and faculty to access all of the data gathered from the trip. The group enjoyed the visit and fundraising for another one has already started"

Figment50
02-05-2017, 04:18 AM
Can you post a link I liked to see the data with out it this means nothing.

Euby
02-05-2017, 05:04 AM
The local pancake restaurant in town has a sign that says "Calories outside of your zip code don't count."

:eat:

missymouseworld
02-05-2017, 07:43 AM
Can you post a link I liked to see the data with out it this means nothing.

https://www.facebook.com/middlesexcountycollege/photos/a.105623002822450.2647.101456486572435/1365699270148144/?type=3&theater

I don't know if the college has any statisitics or the data base info posted. I just happened to read the info when checking something out for my daughter.

BrerGnat
02-06-2017, 04:52 PM
Yeah, on the weight thing, I don't think so. I went on a 4 day trip, walked a total of 48 miles, didn't really pig out or anything and came back a half pound heavier.

We spent an average of 14 hours touring each day.

I can't imagine how someone could eat "MORE than 3,700 cal/day and lose weight at Disney." Did they mean "up to 3700 calories"?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

dnickels
02-07-2017, 09:07 AM
There's probably SOME truth to it. Most people in their everyday lives are pretty sedentary while an average day at Disney involves quite a bit of walking. So in that sense the average person can probably eat more calories at Disney than they would eat in a normal day at home without gaining weight.

The problem is that the foods most of us eat at Disney aren't the same foods we would eat at home on a regular Tuesday. On vacation we tend to eat the cookies, the ice cream, the richer, more calorie-laden foods.