PDA

View Full Version : Computer frustrations

dlpmikki
01-27-2017, 06:42 AM
I have just packed up my desktop PC to be returned to the manufacturers for the third time in as many months. They keep saying it must be something at my end but after I do everything they ask (however odd) they now think it is a fault within the PC. The latest fault, which only started after they did a clean install of Windows 10, is the computer randomly shutting down and restarting. I gave them the option of blaming Windows 10 but they didn't take it :thedolls: I did do some of the supposed solutions I found on the Internet from Windows 10 but it hasn't worked.

As I am going on holiday to DisneyWorld (Yay!) they will have plenty of time to fix the problem.

So cheer me up and tell me the best computer woes you have had? :)

John
01-27-2017, 06:45 AM
Shutting down and restarting is usually one of a few things... CPU fan, Graphics Card Fan or Power Supply. Normally all related to over heating.

I'd rather all that happen than loose a hard drive... Which has happened a few times.

I'm religious about backing up as a result.

magicofdisney
01-27-2017, 08:23 AM
I just read an article that says Windows 10 will install automatic updates, with or without your permission.

We just purchased laptops (Windows 10) for my girls this Christmas because they're no longer homeschooling. One is taking classes at the state college and the other is doing online classes. My fear is that the one doing online classes will have an automatic update take place during a critical period, such as a test. So far her tests aren't timed, but what happens when they are?

My preferences are Apple products. I personally use an iMac and MacBook Pro, however, budget restraints don't allow this for everyone in the family. Nonetheless, Macs aren't perfect either. That being said, I can honestly claim I've had fewer problems with my Macs than with any Windows PC or laptop we've ever owned.

Nearly every Windows laptop we've ever owned experienced the 'blue screen of death'. It's a real phenomenon. You can google it! ;-) I'm smiling because I'd rather smile than cry.

dlpmikki
01-27-2017, 09:17 AM
DH's computer has had the blue screen of death a few times. Once it was an almighty error by McAfee that did it (to some US police force too which was how I found out about it a tech email). You can stop Windows 10 doing the auto updates. Do a google search and you should find a few ways how. Good luck!

dlpmikki
01-27-2017, 09:20 AM
Shutting down and restarting is usually one of a few things... CPU fan, Graphics Card Fan or Power Supply. Normally all related to over heating.

I'd rather all that happen than loose a hard drive... Which has happened a few times.

I'm religious about backing up as a result.

Totally agree about backing up! I am backed up in several locations as even the back ups fail sometimes.

Monitoring the heat was one of the things we tried and it wasn't that. All the fans seemed to be working. Glad I have a laptop that I can use for now but the desktop is a lot more powerful.

dlpmikki
01-27-2017, 11:50 AM
The PC has been collected so I can leave home on Monday to begin the journey to WDW without worrying about getting the neighbour to somehow deal with the collection company. Phew.

Maybe time to start packing?

baldburke
01-27-2017, 12:04 PM
I just read an article that says Windows 10 will install automatic updates, with or without your permission.

We just purchased laptops (Windows 10) for my girls this Christmas because they're no longer homeschooling. One is taking classes at the state college and the other is doing online classes. My fear is that the one doing online classes will have an automatic update take place during a critical period, such as a test. So far her tests aren't timed, but what happens when they are?

My preferences are Apple products. I personally use an iMac and MacBook Pro, however, budget restraints don't allow this for everyone in the family. Nonetheless, Macs aren't perfect either. That being said, I can honestly claim I've had fewer problems with my Macs than with any Windows PC or laptop we've ever owned.

Nearly every Windows laptop we've ever owned experienced the 'blue screen of death'. It's a real phenomenon. You can google it! ;-) I'm smiling because I'd rather smile than cry.

Another vote for Apple here! Their OS and hardware (although not perfect) seems to be far more stable. Although not a computer, DS got an iPad for Christmas where the screen went bad in less than a month. Originally got it from Best Buy but took it to the Apple Store and they replaced it on the spot in under 15 minutes. Fabulous customer service!

Speedy1998
01-27-2017, 12:39 PM
As others have said the shutting off sounds like a overheating issue.

I had a Dell about 10 years ago that had a design flaw, and was not cooling properly. The CPU actually melted. Dell sent a replacement that fixed the design problem.

1DisneyNut
01-27-2017, 01:56 PM
It could be a defect in the motherboard or power supply. Maybe they will replace the hardware and solve the issue.

I have rarely had any computer or windows issues but then my degree is computer science. A lot of computer issues are actually caused by malware these days. They often are running in the background and go astray causing a glitch which results in a blue screen or the computer crashing and shutting down. You can check for them and clean them up using Malwarebytes. You usually get them from unsavory websites or spam/phishing emails so be careful what you open. Another mistake people often make on windows computers is running under an account with administrator privileges, you should always run under a user account without administrator privileges.

John
01-27-2017, 06:36 PM
It could be a defect in the motherboard or power supply. Maybe they will replace the hardware and solve the issue.

I have rarely had any computer or windows issues but then my degree is computer science. A lot of computer issues are actually caused by malware these days. They often are running in the background and go astray causing a glitch which results in a blue screen or the computer crashing and shutting down. You can check for them and clean them up using Malwarebytes. You usually get them from unsavory websites or spam/phishing emails so be careful what you open. Another mistake people often make on windows computers is running under an account with administrator privileges, you should always run under a user account without administrator privileges.
Yep, Mobo was where I would head right after trying a new power supply.

brownie
01-29-2017, 09:47 AM
I'm now running on a Chromebook. I finally had enough of Windows 10 on my laptop. I was a tester for the original Chromebook, the Google Cr-48, but it's not as snappy with the recent versions of Chrome OS.

dlpmikki
01-29-2017, 04:08 PM
Motherboard or power supply is my guess, they just haven't wanted to admit it. After three times back with different issues I am thinking motherboard.

dlpmikki
02-09-2017, 07:59 AM
Hooray - they have replaced the motherboard!

Now to admit my ignorance - does that mean another reinstall of windows? I'm thinking not as motherboard is hardware and windows software but I figured you guys would know! :mickey:

1DisneyNut
02-09-2017, 08:31 AM
No, windows is on the hard drive along with all your files so you should be good to go right out of the box.

SBETigg
02-09-2017, 03:49 PM
I have a MacBook Pro. I had an issue once with not being able to access my account, passwords not working, and I called the Apple help line. I was alone in my hotel room, and topless. They asked to access my account to better help me out. After about five minutes, I panicked. Wait! They have access to my stuff! Suddenly I thought maybe they could see me through the camera and I covered it, and me, very quickly. Yes, they solved my problems. But maybe they got a show, too? :)

dlpmikki
02-10-2017, 09:14 PM
Just when you think things are sorted the company goes crazy! Instead of waiting until I am home from the USA (as arranged) to send the PC back they set it in motion to be delivered today. I rang them yesterday and they said they would stop it and send it per original agreement. Today I get an email from the delivery company to say it has been delivered and left in outbuildings. As I don't have any outbuildings this was a bit worrying! Fortunately I have good neighbours and they we need and checked and found it had been left in the open under a verandah with snow falling.

So the computer company sent it when they shouldn't have and the delivery company did not get a signature as they should. I am hoping that my neighbour and her husband will have got it safely into our house by now - as long as the companies haven't tried to correct their error!

John
02-11-2017, 10:01 AM
No, windows is on the hard drive along with all your files so you should be good to go right out of the box.
Assuming they didn't do a dreaded reset as many pc companies often do...

dlpmikki
02-11-2017, 03:29 PM
:horror:

brad192
02-11-2017, 04:39 PM
Since they replaced the motherboard, my guess is they found a weak, flaky decoupling (bypass) capacitor. These can work fine for awhile, then cause a short, or a semi-short (for lack of a better term) and pull down the supply voltage to components on the board. After the voltage is removed from the cap, it "relaxes" and will work again for awhile until it repeats the failure. I've seen this many times in my EE career, and it's a toughie to diagnose & correct on a PC motherboard as there are literally dozens of these caps on the board.

On a side note - Is Figaro enjoying the trip?

dlpmikki
02-11-2017, 09:40 PM
On a side note - Is Figaro enjoying the trip?

He certainly seems to be! :party:

Imalismom
02-19-2017, 11:13 PM
Mr. Toot gave me a brand new Dell laptop for
Christmas -- cant do more than 2 or 3 things
on the internet without it freezing and having
to restart it - so frustrating!! For the life
of me, I can't figure out why!!!

dlpmikki
02-21-2017, 01:33 PM
Touch wood - computer seems to be working fine!

dlpmikki
02-22-2017, 02:19 PM
I spoke too soon. Computer is going back again tomorrow. It died at lunchtime. The power supply gives a sad little click instead of starting. Wonder if it was the cause of the problems all along or whether it has been damaged in all the transport up and down the country. Sigh. :(

dlpmikki
03-01-2017, 07:17 AM
Yup, the power supply was dead. Maybe it was the problem all along. Who knows. PC should be back today. Overall the trips it has had new Ram, new motherboard and new power supply. Hopefully they will all play nicely together now and I won't have nay more problems! :fingers:

magicofdisney
03-01-2017, 10:09 AM
My iMac has been a little sluggish the last year or so. This thread somewhat inspired me to do something about it. To be fair, it's about 7 years old.

I installed additional memory in January. I went from 4GB to 12GB of RAM. That helped only slightly. A friend of mine suggested I do a clean sweep and reinstall the OS. I did that Monday. Wow, what a difference! Between the increased RAM and clean install, it's like I have a brand new computer. I hope when you get yours back, you'll feel the same way! :cloud9:

dlpmikki
03-01-2017, 01:03 PM
It's back and it has started up and seems to be behaving.... Ask me in a week - lol :)

faline
03-01-2017, 02:07 PM
It's back and it has started up and seems to be behaving.... Ask me in a week - lol :)

I hope this was the end of your computer issues!!

dlpmikki
03-01-2017, 05:47 PM
I hope this was the end of your computer issues!!

So do I!

Ed
03-31-2017, 04:40 PM
Has the PC made it through March ? :badpc: