PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping with a fan

John
01-23-2017, 09:49 PM
So Ian Mitchell is without power and mentioned he just may have to run out and buy a battery operated fan to get thru the night.

How many of you are like that?

Personally, the first thing I do at a hotel is turn the fan to always on. At home, I have a bedside fan in addition to a ceiling fan. Have to have the noise and feel air moving.

How about you? Quiet sleeper and have to have some noise or a fan?

My wife hates me running the ceiling fan year round, which is why I got the bedside fan....

Ian
01-23-2017, 10:03 PM
Well obviously as the inspiration for this post, I agree completely. One of the worst things for me is when I have to travel and there is no ceiling fan in the room. I have to have the air flow and the white noise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John
01-23-2017, 10:07 PM
Well obviously as the inspiration for this post, I agree completely. One of the worst things for me is when I have to travel and there is no ceiling fan in the room. I have to have the air flow and the white noise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ed said that the fans are being removed from DVC properties as they remodel...[emoji33]

Princess Jules
01-23-2017, 10:18 PM
My moms house where I live when I am not at my Dorm in college has a whole house attic fan and boy does that keep the house cool, especially the upstairs where the bedrooms are located. It also makes sort of a purring sound when running which can be calming. The only bad thing is it can't be run for more than like 3-4 hours at a time to prevent it from overheating.

Altair
01-24-2017, 05:50 AM
It's amazing how many people do sleep with a fan on. I've got mine going no matter the temperature outside and feel lost in a motel room without it. :fan:

magicofdisney
01-24-2017, 06:11 AM
If I accidentally forget to pack a fan for a trip, I will go to the nearest Walmart or Target and make the purchase, even if I have to leave the fan behind. In fact, I did this for my trip to CA last week.

We have a floor fan for white noise while we sleep. We have a ceiling fan to circulate the air (also running entirely while we sleep). Additionally, I have a small fan on my side of the bed that blows just on me during sleep.

So, um, yeah. It looks like I'm a fan of the fan! ;-)

Sidenote: Living in FL, you can't survive without fans. I don't know how they did it 100yrs ago. :confused:

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-24-2017, 06:41 AM
Yep, I'm a fan girl too! Even when it is cold, I need the air movement (and noise) to sleep! Glad I'm not as strange as my husband likes to say I am about it. :)

I even figured out a clip-on fan for when we take the autotrain ... and it makes a HUGE difference in that little cabin.

buzznwoodysmom
01-24-2017, 07:54 AM
Gotta have a ceiling fan on. We were out of town this weekend and the first thing I noticed upon entering the room was that there was no ceiling fan.

Ed
01-24-2017, 08:20 AM
Our bedroom ceiling fan runs pretty much 24/7, and has been for the 14 years we've been in this house. It only gets turned off to clean it and when we're going away.

Jeff
01-24-2017, 08:30 AM
Absolutely must have a fan going to sleep! When traveling by car I put take one with us in case hotel room doesn't have any fan noise options.

JanetMegan
01-24-2017, 09:33 AM
No fan here, I love quiet darkness. Although I share the bed with a serious snorer so...

Lizzy
01-24-2017, 09:54 AM
I hate being cold but for some reason i cannot sleep without my fans. Yes mutiple. I have my ceiling fan, a fan on my bedside table and one at the foot of my bed.

BrerGnat
01-24-2017, 11:55 AM
Oh yeah, need a fan! I like ceiling fans in theory, but they are SO annoying to clean and they get so dusty. We have a tower fan in our room that has a "sleep" mode, that we use every night. It is really low and quiet but moves air very nicely. I have to feel air moving, but I actually hate the "white noise" thing...I need total dead silence to sleep...so I wear ear plugs. The fan for me is all about movement of air.

I like having ceiling fans in hotel rooms, because the beds are never properly aligned with the vents in order to feel the air flow otherwise.

Strmchsr
01-24-2017, 01:06 PM
I absolutely have to have white noise or I can't sleep. Fan is always preferable, but we have a white noise app on the iPad if need be.

tinkwest
01-24-2017, 02:54 PM
Bedside fan for me. Any more is too much other than during the hotter months. Don't use it every night but like to know it's there if I get that the-air-is-too-still feeling.

I also have a little personal DVD player on my nightstand. Turn it on quietly every night when I go to bed. Usually something like "I Love Lucy".

JoDisney
01-24-2017, 03:29 PM
That is the main reason, I do not like the royal rooms at Riverside - NO CEILING FANS!

Hammer
01-24-2017, 06:00 PM
The ceiling fan in the my upstairs bedroom runs all year round. It definitely helps me sleep :sleep:

Ed said that the fans are being removed from DVC properties as they remodel...[emoji33]

That is the one thing I do not like about the Beach Club Villas renovations. I will miss having a fan on in the bedroom.

PirateLover
01-25-2017, 10:54 AM
Not so much a fan but definitely accustomed to white noise since I use an air purifier and humidifier year round. We got a little Dohm sound machine for our daughter, so that's what travels with us now. I find it very difficult to sleep in pin drop silence.

TheDuckRocks
01-25-2017, 01:09 PM
My wife hates me running the ceiling fan year round, which is why I got the bedside fan....

After 54 years of marriage my husband knows if he messes with my fan he'll never see a 55th anniversary.

Ed
01-25-2017, 01:15 PM
After 54 years of marriage my husband knows if he messes with my fan he'll never see a 55th anniversary.

:funny:Good one !

joanna71985
01-25-2017, 09:58 PM
I can't sleep without a fan on (I need the noise, but also the breeze)

Disney4us2
01-25-2017, 10:18 PM
Ceiling fan on and TV on.

Yungbuck73
01-26-2017, 12:20 AM
I use a fan all year round. A nice Stand up fan. When we travel, I have a little one that comes with that can run on batteries or plug in. Someone mentioned earlier in this thread if they forget a fan at home, they go out to a store and buy one. Instead of leaving it behind, at the end of the trip, return it to the store. Sorry, I bought the wrong fan. :cool:

SBETigg
01-26-2017, 12:56 PM
Am I the only one who first thought John had something going on with an admirer?

I sleep with a white noise machine at home, preferred setting is ocean waves. I manage without it when I travel.

Tink1
01-26-2017, 03:10 PM
I cannot sleep with a TV on. I hate to sleep with a fan on, but there are a few nights in the summer that we must. We do not have AC, you do not need it up here.

I don't need complete silence though, tree frogs will suffice.

Nanc

deedee73
01-26-2017, 11:42 PM
I love my fan and need that air flow and white noise to truly sleep soundly. Boyfriend hates it so when he is staying the night it is benadryl for me. I also set my tv timer to generally ensure a quick process for achieving sleep.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

BriarRose0708
01-30-2017, 03:57 PM
I can't sleep without the fan, either. It's more white noise for me than airflow, and I can't do with the white noise app version of a fan. For me it has to be a real fan! My DF also snores pretty loudly so the fan (or better yet the AC in the summer!) helps drown him out some. If there's no ceiling fan in the hotel, I will look at the thermostat and see if there's a continuous fan setting, that helps too.

Melanie posted something on FB to a small white noise machine that looks perfect for traveling, I am going to Europe for 2 weeks in the fall and am nervous there won't be fans in the hotels, and I know the cruise ship doesn't have them. I think that will be an Amazon purchase very soon!

Scallywag
02-19-2017, 01:55 PM
I have converted my wife over to being a "Fan" of the fan as well. Can't sleep without it, too quiet.

Imalismom
02-19-2017, 10:55 PM
I have a battery operated fan, in a box, with batteries, stored in my closet in case my power ever fails. I also have a SleepFan that I purchased at bed bath and beyond, so that when I travel I have a fan. I also have a fan in my bedroom - not only can I not sleep without a fan I also travel with my pillow wherever I go because I can't sleep without it either. Oh, I also have the iPhone app where I was able to record my fan on my phone for an emergency in case needed

Jen0610
02-24-2017, 10:49 AM
Need to the point that if we lose electricity, I am wide awake as soon as the fan noise stops. WIDE awake from sleeping like the dead. DH never slept with a fan when we first got together, now he can't sleep without it either. Both kids same way. Basic training was hell on DD with no fan for noise or cooling done in SC. So yeah, we are family of fan lovers.

texas211
03-05-2017, 10:56 AM
I too need several fans on to sleep. I often pack a portable fan (can run on batteries or power cord) to bring w/ me on trips. I have been known to buy a cheap box fan from walmart while on vacation and just leave it. Worth 15 bucks.

baldburke
03-06-2017, 12:25 PM
Ha! On reading the title of this thread I thought it might provocative...like "sleeping with the enemy." My wife can't sleep without some sort of white noise whether it is a fan or cracking the window somewhat. I can go either way but can't sleep without a fan in the summer. The challenge is when she opens the window in the winter. Maybe a white noise machine is the way to go?

joonyer
03-06-2017, 02:20 PM
You don't need a white noise machine, just a smart phone with a sounds app, even better with a bluetooth speaker. My son, who suffers from tinnitus, listens to rain with thunder in the distance to help him sleep. When He's home from college, I sometimes walk past his room and think "It's raining, I didn't know it was going to rain tonight". :D

Of course if you need moving air, then a fan is the only way to go.

Tiggerlovr9000
03-14-2017, 04:11 PM
We have a floor fan that we take to motels and use at home. I hate a ceiling fan. Irrational fear it will fall on me. We also place my iPad on thunderstorms before we go to sleep.

#1donaldfan
03-22-2017, 12:32 PM
I have to have a fan for both noise and to move air. Without it I'd never be able to fall to sleep. Love my fan.

DisneyOtaku
04-06-2017, 03:53 PM
My husband makes me pack the fan whenever we travel; he needs the white noise! Luckily we were able to find a small, portable fan that we were able to use when we went on our Disney Cruise. Otherwise, I lug the big ol' box fan with us :)