PDA

View Full Version : Rogue One

Ian
12-16-2016, 08:58 PM
Who saw it? Who loved it?

Zippy 1
12-17-2016, 01:11 AM
My daughter saw it and said it was ok. Weird for her as she loves Star Wars.

Ian
12-17-2016, 10:54 AM
I was bit lukewarm on it, as well. It was good overall ... good story ... cool tie ins to the original film, but very slow to build and I felt the score and character development really lacked. Ranking it among the five films worth discussing I would definitely put it last.

BrowncatP
12-17-2016, 06:52 PM
Saw it yesterday. I liked it. Not as good as last years-The Force Awakens.

John
12-19-2016, 07:52 AM
Hoping to take a break from unpacking tonite and see it....

baldburke
12-19-2016, 12:31 PM
Just as Disney created a stand alone, you have to treat it as a stand alone. Yes, it's tied into the SW story with the plans but it's a lot unlike any SW movie you've seen before. Not having the scroll at the beginning sort of puts you out there as they try to deliver some key aspects to the story line quickly and without much info. I don't think it matters as true fans will likely see it multiple times in the theater. It was a nice departure from the traditional SW film where last year's TFA felt more comfortable and familiar. It should be fun to see where Disney takes us in next year's still untitled Episode 8.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
12-19-2016, 04:21 PM
J It was a nice departure from the traditional SW film where last year's TFA felt more comfortable and familiar. It should be fun to see where Disney takes us in next year's still untitled Episode 8.

I like to hear that. TFA should feel comfortable and familiar as JJ Abrams simply remade Star Wars, or about 90% of it anyway. ESB was on tv over the weekend, just reminded of how good they really could be. Looking forward to seeing Rogue One and hoping the other movies, like the Han Solo origins movie do justice to the series. $155M opening weekend wasn't a bad sign for it or Disney.

gerald72
12-20-2016, 04:22 PM
Much better than The Force Awakens. In the top 3 or 4 Star Wars movies.
It really adds to the Star Wars story and makes you want to rewatch episode iv.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
12-27-2016, 01:01 PM
Saw it yesterday for the first time in a (not surprisingly) sold out theater.

Unlike the previous seven films it was a bit harder to follow the characters when 95% of them are new and you don't get a great feel for their back story. Almost felt like this could have been its own 1-3 movie series, with Rogue 1 being the concluding chapter. More character info and development on the leads certainly couldn't have hurt.

As someone who saw Star Wars (refuse to call it A New Hope) as a kid in the '70's, I certainly enjoyed seeing and catching many of the references, the most subtle being when Cassian gets bumped into by the same two ruffians that Luke later encounters in the Catina scene.

When I saw Force Awakens, I enjoyed it, but after, on reflection, realized that it wasn't much more than simply a reboot of A New Hope, and that dampened my overall ranking of it. Haven't seen it a second time yet.

Rogue 1 I thought was good and will be curious to see how it holds up under a second viewing (this time without abandoned kids talking behind me the whole movie).

DizneyRox
12-29-2016, 04:38 PM
Much better than The Force Awakens. In the top 3 or 4 Star Wars movies.
It really adds to the Star Wars story and makes you want to rewatch episode iv.
Agreed, I'd rank it up there top three SW movies probably.

DizneyFreak2002
12-29-2016, 06:43 PM
Saw it Thursday night (opening night), loved it, especially the ending... CHILLS!!!!!

Mickey'sGirl
12-30-2016, 05:37 AM
I loved it. I really cared about the characters and their rebellion. It left me in tears even though I knew what was going to happen.

PopPhan
12-30-2016, 01:01 PM
Saw it yesterday on an IMAX 3D screen...Generally, I have trouble sitting through an entire movie without fidgeting in the seat, but this had me riveted. 2 1/2 hours and I never moved.

The movie itself was very well done, with good pacing and enough references to the regular Star Wars series to keep everyone happy, but had a story line and characters that allow it to stand on its own.

Couldn't keep away from spoilers, so I knew some of what was going to transpire, but was still fully engrossed and "involved" when everything happened. The spoilers didn't actually spoil anything, at least for me.

Definitely a good 'derivative' feature that fed into the main narrative nicely. Well worth viewing on the big screen.

joonyer
12-31-2016, 12:57 AM
After watching it, I thought Rogue One was the most entertaining movie of the Star Wars saga since "A New Hope" was released in 1977.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
01-03-2017, 12:56 PM
The movie itself was very well done, with good pacing and enough references to the regular Star Wars series to keep everyone happy, but had a story line and characters that allow it to stand on its own.

I enjoyed it as well and am looking forward to a second view (dissapointed that I couldn't get to it over the New Year's holiday. Only disagreement I have with your assessment is that I don't think it can (or really should) stand on its own. If you went into that theater and had never heard of Star Wars and any of its 7 movies, I don't think you come away with the same feelings on the movie as someone that is familiar with the cannon.

Sort of like Magical Beasts and Where to Find them. That one was probably more stand alone than Rogue One, but it too presumes that its audience knows the cannon and can fill in the blanks without having to have the story teller do it for them.

Good example "the kyhber crystals power a Jedi's lightsaber". Everyone here knows exactly what that means, but if you walked into the movie not knowing anything, you'd be pretty confused.

I think it would be very difficult for any Star Wars story to be stand alone. Even an origins story like Han Solo will have some constraints to it, having to conform to knowing where Han ends up and how he is.

I wish they had done a Rogue One trilogy, and this would have been the concluding chapter.