PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Star Wars Light Side Weekend

Yungbuck73
12-10-2016, 03:32 PM
Hey all,
We are just about a month out from the Races and was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a meet up?
Can't wait to see everyone out there.
Also are we doing any color shirts for the different days??
I still have all the #runICOT shirts

John
12-11-2016, 10:44 AM
Hi Justin:

Welcome to the planning committee ;)

Honestly, there hasn't been a whole lot of discussion on this and I'm not sure where we stand regards to how many people are going. In retrospect now being in South Carolina, a drive down to WDW would have been a whole lot easier but I am planning on being there.

I personally will be wearing the "colors" of the day as I run the three races and invite you to do the same.

If you have thoughts for meets - I'm all ears and we can start to build a schedule. I think though as we've learned in the past, keeping it simple is the best bet.

Thoughts?

Yungbuck73
12-11-2016, 01:08 PM
Here are some quick thoughts

Friday January 13 5K Pink shirt day Race starts at 5:30AM so if we want to get a group picture we should aim for 4:45AM -5:00AM. We can maybe met somewhere near the stage. For anyone not running, meet at 5:15AM-5:30AM, possibly meet near entrance to Disneyland Park.

Saturday January 14 10K Teal Shirt Day Race Starts at 5:30AM For non runners meet up at 5:15AM-5:30AM, possibly near entrance to Disneyland Park.

Sunday January 15 1/2 Marathon Purple Shirt Day Race Starts at 5:30 AM For non runners meet up at 5:15AM-5:30AM, possibly near entrance to Disneyland Park.

I think to get a good group picture during the day, we should either do one on Main Street, and/or meet in DCA on the walkway up to Ariel's Grotto we can do a cool Pic there with Mickey's Fun Wheel in the background. Day and time up to the group.

Also we should think about a Trader Sam's meet up. We can sit outside instead of trying to fight to get a spot in the bar itself.

Any suggestions to add on to this, feel free to add.

badkitty
12-11-2016, 02:19 PM
I insanely signed up for all three races. Looking forward to seeing everyone!

BrerGnat
12-11-2016, 10:22 PM
Here are some quick thoughts

Friday January 13 5K Pink shirt day Race starts at 5:30AM so if we want to get a group picture we should aim for 4:45AM -5:00AM. We can maybe met somewhere near the stage. For anyone not running, meet at 5:15AM-5:30AM, possibly meet near entrance to Disneyland Park.

Saturday January 14 10K Teal Shirt Day Race Starts at 5:30AM For non runners meet up at 5:15AM-5:30AM, possibly near entrance to Disneyland Park.

Sunday January 15 1/2 Marathon Purple Shirt Day Race Starts at 5:30 AM For non runners meet up at 5:15AM-5:30AM, possibly near entrance to Disneyland Park.

I think to get a good group picture during the day, we should either do one on Main Street, and/or meet in DCA on the walkway up to Ariel's Grotto we can do a cool Pic there with Mickey's Fun Wheel in the background. Day and time up to the group.

Also we should think about a Trader Sam's meet up. We can sit outside instead of trying to fight to get a spot in the bar itself.

Any suggestions to add on to this, feel free to add.

Just wanted to point out that runners typically need to be in the corrals by 4:45 and if the last race is any indication, the walk to the corrals is about half a mile from the staging area (they keep switching things up though). A pre race group photo should be scheduled no later than 4:30am on 5k day.

I would also recommend Hearthstone Lounge as a potential meet spot as it is very large with plenty of seating and indoors in case of chilly weather. Trader Sams might be tough to get seating, even outside. It's quite limited.

I will be running the 5k and plan to hang around the rest of the weekend although we won't be staying onsite. I'll be back and forth between there and home so I plan to attend at least one meet!

Yungbuck73
12-14-2016, 03:13 AM
Just wanted to point out that runners typically need to be in the corrals by 4:45 and if the last race is any indication, the walk to the corrals is about half a mile from the staging area (they keep switching things up though). A pre race group photo should be scheduled no later than 4:30am on 5k day.

I would also recommend Hearthstone Lounge as a potential meet spot as it is very large with plenty of seating and indoors in case of chilly weather. Trader Sams might be tough to get seating, even outside. It's quite limited.

I will be running the 5k and plan to hang around the rest of the weekend although we won't be staying onsite. I'll be back and forth between there and home so I plan to attend at least one meet!

Good point Natalie about the photo so I guess we should do 4:30am for the group pic.
I have never hung out at the Heartstone Lounge but sounds good to me. We are staying at Grand Californian so it would be perfect for us.
I'm glad you will be around the weekend. Look forward to seeing you again.
Anyone else have any comments or suggestions for the "scheduled" events?

magicofdisney
12-14-2016, 08:30 AM
I'm so unprepared, it's embarrassing. When I first made plans for this, I had an excellent training schedule (and I'm only doing the 5K :blush:). We ended up moving and things have been so chaotic. 4:30am sounds like torture, ;), but I'll be there!

Buttercup
12-21-2016, 07:03 PM
Hey y'all! I'm going to be joining you in California with my family for this little shin dig! I'm all signed up for the 5k and am looking forward to it! DL does runDisney a little different than in WDW and I think it will be a nice change of pace!

Thanks Justin for laying out the color of the shirts for each day. I've got my pink shirt ready to go!

*** I just wanted to add, if anyone is coming to CHEER for all of us runners, I was going to suggest lining up along the fence they'll have going through the Esplanade between DCA and DL. I know that's how it is for the 5k, and although I haven't seen the course map for the 10k or half, I assume at some point the runners come through there as well. That is about the halfway point for the 5k runners. You can also lineup along the fences throughout Downtown Disney as the runners go by, but I like the Esplanade location better. The finish line can be a little crowded and they can be a bit particular about where you can stand as runners cross the finish so I wouldn't recommend that spot.

Anyway, as I say my husband Mike and our kids will be cheering so I wanted to nail down a spot so they can be with the rest of the Intercotees while I'm running.

ARE YOU GUYS COOL WITH STAKING OUT A SPOT IN THE ESPLANADE THEN?

I'll definitely be there for the pic at 4:30. We are staying off site on Harbour Blvd but I'll be sure to get to the group pic nice and early that day!

Yungbuck73
12-21-2016, 07:32 PM
Carolyn, Since I haven't been here for a race I'll go with your expertise. Staking out a spot is fine with me. We can see how they have it set up for the 5K and then we can figure out how to cheer for the 10 and half.
It's almost here. Yay

Buttercup
12-21-2016, 09:56 PM
Carolyn, Since I haven't been here for a race I'll go with your expertise. Staking out a spot is fine with me. We can see how they have it set up for the 5K and then we can figure out how to cheer for the 10 and half.
It's almost here. Yay
I was there just to cheer last November for the Avengers 5k. The esplanade was perfect and not very crowded. We were there cheering on Jennifer (sister) and her family.

As for the pre-race group photo at 4:30am, I asked Jennifer where she suggests we meet. Apparently the corrals and starting area are quite different than what we are used to at WDW. I never saw it myself but she mentioned it would be hard to find a good meeting spot near the starting line etc because the area is so small. HER SUGGESTION: if all our Intercot runners meet under the Sorcerer Mickey Hat near Downtown Disney/Disneyland Hotel for a group picture at 4:30am, and then we all walk over to the corrals together. It's easy to find and not far from the starting area. Thoughts?

BrerGnat
12-30-2016, 08:47 PM
I was there just to cheer last November for the Avengers 5k. The esplanade was perfect and not very crowded. We were there cheering on Jennifer (sister) and her family.

As for the pre-race group photo at 4:30am, I asked Jennifer where she suggests we meet. Apparently the corrals and starting area are quite different than what we are used to at WDW. I never saw it myself but she mentioned it would be hard to find a good meeting spot near the starting line etc because the area is so small. HER SUGGESTION: if all our Intercot runners meet under the Sorcerer Mickey Hat near Downtown Disney/Disneyland Hotel for a group picture at 4:30am, and then we all walk over to the corrals together. It's easy to find and not far from the starting area. Thoughts?

Nah, probably not a good idea as they have just set up a new security checkpoint in that area. Best to meet in the set up pre staging area where the main stage is and the porta potties and stuff. It is located in the overflow Downtown Disney parking lot. Impossible to miss it.

Buttercup
01-01-2017, 03:09 PM
Nah, probably not a good idea as they have just set up a new security checkpoint in that area. Best to meet in the set up pre staging area where the main stage is and the porta potties and stuff. It is located in the overflow Downtown Disney parking lot. Impossible to miss it.
Perfect! Thanks Natalie! Good idea!

Yungbuck73
01-03-2017, 04:26 AM
So are we all set with that location for the picture? Also is the shirt color selection ok with everyone? There is only 3 races so we still have the Navy #runICOT shirt not being worn. I am brining mine with me to maybe wear one of the other days unless someone has an idea. 8 days away for us. Woo hoo. We all will be California Dreaming.

BrerGnat
01-03-2017, 08:32 PM
So are we all set with that location for the picture? Also is the shirt color selection ok with everyone? There is only 3 races so we still have the Navy #runICOT shirt not being worn. I am brining mine with me to maybe wear one of the other days unless someone has an idea. 8 days away for us. Woo hoo. We all will be California Dreaming.

We might need to tweak the photo spot depending on where the corral entrance actually is. They like to change it up for like, every race weekend here. But it is a safe bet to meet near the main stage at 4:30am.

I don't know about the shirt colors. I only have teal and lime green and will probably end up wearing a sweatshirt anyway because it will be cold! But I'll have my #runICOT hat on!

magicofdisney
01-04-2017, 08:07 AM
I have a question for all you experienced runners. If it's raining, you will run anyway?

John
01-04-2017, 10:17 AM
I have a question for all you experienced runners. If it's raining, you will run anyway?

Yep, rain or shine.....

John
01-04-2017, 10:19 AM

Colors are fine, though I think any runICOT shirt or ICOT shirt will represent well. Not everyone bought the full pack ��

Buttercup
01-04-2017, 04:49 PM
John - maybe we can post a note on the front page of Intercot with details about the run and what plans have been made so far? That way, everyone will be on the same page (no pun intended!). And worst-case scenario, we can update people on Twitter/Facebook if plans change.

I'm all set with my pink running shirt. I've got one of Mike's Star Wars toques I'm going to wear too - because what kind of Canadian would I be, without a toque? Let's hope it doesn't POUR like the 10k in WDW last year!

I'm so excited for this trip. But have you looked at all the ride closures while we're there? Tis the season I guess. Haunted Mansion and Jungle Cruise are down as they remove the holiday overlays, plus all the closures related to Star Wars land, and no more Paint The Night parade... not to mention closures over at DCA with the Tower of Terror, Grizzly River Run, etc. We'll make the best of it though! I'm hoping to try some new restaurants and do some stuff I've never done before!

John
01-04-2017, 05:30 PM
John - maybe we can post a note on the front page of Intercot with details about the run and what plans have been made so far? That way, everyone will be on the same page (no pun intended!). And worst-case scenario, we can update people on Twitter/Facebook if plans change.

I'm all set with my pink running shirt. I've got one of Mike's Star Wars toques I'm going to wear too - because what kind of Canadian would I be, without a toque? Let's hope it doesn't POUR like the 10k in WDW last year!

I'm so excited for this trip. But have you looked at all the ride closures while we're there? Tis the season I guess. Haunted Mansion and Jungle Cruise are down as they remove the holiday overlays, plus all the closures related to Star Wars land, and no more Paint The Night parade... not to mention closures over at DCA with the Tower of Terror, Grizzly River Run, etc. We'll make the best of it though! I'm hoping to try some new restaurants and do some stuff I've never done before!

Can someone summarize the plans in a single (separate) post - then I will link to it from the homepage. I realize this is much less formal than our WDW events but I believe it's a much smaller group.

badkitty
01-04-2017, 09:57 PM
I'm not really clear on what plans have been made so far. �� I can't find my pink shirt. I might need to wear the navy for the 5K. I'm super excited to see everyone!!

Buttercup
01-05-2017, 12:57 PM
Can someone summarize the plans in a single (separate) post - then I will link to it from the homepage. I realize this is much less formal than our WDW events but I believe it's a much smaller group.
DONE! New thread is in this forum. Check this link for the official business.
http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?214319-Star-Wars-Half-Marathon-Weekend-THE-PLAN

BrerGnat
01-06-2017, 08:46 PM

It was pouring for a good part of the Tinkerbell 10k last year. It wasn't fun standing around in the rain before the race started but luckily it ended in a light drizzle for the most part.

I will caution everyone that it has been raining a LOT down here lately and the ground at Disneyland becomes dangerously slippery when wet. It is not like the material used at WDW. It gets super slick! So, if it does rain, slow down! A lot of people fell on the course during the 10k and I slipped a few times...