PDA

View Full Version : Teddy Bear Lady at the Grand Floridian

ImagiAsh
12-04-2016, 09:58 PM
Have you ever stumbled upon the eccentric older woman at the Grand Floridian pulling along a suitcase full of teddy bears? Her name is Lynn and she can usually be found in the early afternoon listening to the band start up in the lobby of the hotel. Our family happened upon her on a visit two years ago and we have seen her on each trip since, except for our most recent venture just two weeks ago. We visited the lobby two nights in a row and she was no where to be found. I was wondering if anyone has any news on her. It is an odd thing to ask, but she is a staple on our family trips and it seems (according to google) that we aren't the only ones who are curious. I have included her story below for those who are not familiar with her. It is a post written by her sister in response to the internet inquiring:

"The lady who is always at the Grand Floridian Hotel is my sister, Lynn, who lives near there and is definitely NOT homeless.

Her late Husband, Bruce, used to be there often, too, but would often go off and do other things while Lynn listened to the music.

She takes her bags of teddy bears with her everywhere and has for many, many years.

Lynn has a terrific sense of humor, but she does hear the beat to a different drummer, as the old saying goes.

Bruce suddenly passed away from a brain aneurysm October of 2007, which was a shock to all of us. He had a fantastic sense of humor as well, and the two of them couldn’t have been more perfectly matched.

Lynn will be 67 in March 2009, so she isn’t as old as some thought.

Even as a child Lynn was rather overly imaginative. I remember when one night she got me to drag her into our closet so she could pretend she was a doll and ‘catch’ all of the toys come ‘alive’ when the rest of us were asleep. She was probably around 7 or 8 at the time. She was disappointed the next morning that none had come to life, but she reasoned it all out that the toys must have realized that she was really a human and not a real toy.

So, Lynn is not homeless, but she is OCD. One day she will no doubt tire of going to the GF and go off into something else.

She and Bruce used to love to hand out teddy bears to children, but only after asking the children’s parent’s permission first. They have been going to Disney since it opened, and have spent a small fortune there, taking 4 kids there very often, spending almost more time in the place where people camp than at their own home, renting golf carts. So, if anyone thinks either of them were or are freeloaders, they are very wrong.

Lynn has a LOT of friends at the hotel, as well as a few who resent her being there daily.

Who is she hurting? No one.

At any rate, I hope this satisfies everyone’s curiosity. Thanks to all of you who were kind in your remarks about her.

Signed Lynn’s sister,

Tracy Joan

Nashville, TN"

MississippiDisneyFreak
12-05-2016, 07:31 AM
I have heard about her being there but never saw this story. I hope she is okay.

buzznwoodysmom
12-05-2016, 09:39 AM
I have always hoped to spot her on one of our trips, but we never have. I do hope that she is well.

SBETigg
12-05-2016, 10:45 AM
I've seen Lynn there a few times. Not hurting anyone, but she does have kind of an air of sadness, a Miss Havisham quality, that I'm sure some at the hotel would rather not have around. I'm glad there are others who are kind to her, though. And as her sister says, she might just stop going one day. It wouldn't necessarily mean anything happened to her, so I wouldn't worry.

DisneyCrazy
12-06-2016, 09:31 PM
This is an interesting story.

Sylvia
12-07-2016, 02:15 AM
I googled "Teddy Bear Lady at the Grand Floridian"; I found some interesting information about her, as well as very nice photos of her; some of her bears are also in the photos. Such a wonderful touching story.

baldburke
12-07-2016, 12:30 PM
This is interesting. She is unlike Auntie Kau'i who is a Disney Cast Member, this person is like a pseudo ambassador of the GF. I'm curious...are there any other such people like this at WDW who just hang around in specific areas or routinely show up in specific attire (princess costumes) that have made themselves unofficial ambassadors or champions of specific attractions, lands or resorts?

eeyoremom
12-08-2016, 08:20 PM
Does anyone have any news on her? Or is anyone staying at Grand Floridian now that could ask a CM? I read on another site, that she is now in rehab? we have talked to her several times. Thanks