PDA

View Full Version : Four Weeks to Aulani!

baldburke
10-22-2016, 04:20 PM
We are headed to Aulani for Thanksgiving week and couldn't be more thrilled to be able to experience Hawaii together as a family at a Disney resort! Like any good Disney vacation we've booked some meals, but what else would you say we should book now since we are only about a month out? We're not planning anything spectacular, just some excursions to Pearl Harbor, Waikiki, the North Shore. Thanks!

CanadianWDWFan
10-23-2016, 02:47 PM
Sorry I can't give you any advice but I just wanted to sway I hope you have a fantastic time! I hope to hear all about your trip, since we are off to Aulani next August and will need advice planning it.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-850F using Tapatalk

lawgirl
11-02-2016, 05:08 PM
I can't remember if I already sent this info, but Waimea Botanical Garden near North Shore is spectacular. We love going. Also, we go to the Dole Plantations every single time. I just love it. Its really touristy (much like WDW!) but its a cool place, and there is an awesome train ride that takes you through the pineapple fields. Its gorgeous scenery, and a unique experience. There is a coffee and chocolate plantation close by as well. Our favorite beach, besides the Ko Olina lagoons is over on the east side. Google "Kailua"...there is some great shopping and restaurants, and the beach over there is postcard perfect. Waikiki is super crowded, somewhat dirty, and honestly we never go anymore.

If you are into museums and culture, the Bishop Museum is outstanding. Its closer to downtown Waikiki. Shangri-La is the estate of Doris Duke, and there are daily guided tours. It houses one of the largest collections of Islamic art and is ocean side- the views are truly some of the best on the island.

The submarine Atlantis departs from the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Its one of the only passenger subs in the world, and such a unique experience.

There is sooooooo much to do on Oahu. We go every year, and always find new and interesting things to do. My kids begged us to go back to the Bishop Museum every day. They also loved Pearl Harbor.

faline
11-02-2016, 05:54 PM
It might be wise to book Pearl Harbor ahead of your arrival.

Have a wonderful time on Oahu!!!

baldburke
11-04-2016, 12:39 PM
It might be wise to book Pearl Harbor ahead of your arrival.

Have a wonderful time on Oahu!!!

Thanks to all for the suggestions!

I looked into ordering tickets for Pearl Harbor online and it said that pre-purchase of a tour didn't automatically guarantee access to the USS Arizona Memorial as those ticket are only sold on a day of basis.

Either way we're totally looking forward to it! We're booked for the new Aulani luau Ka Wa'a so we're excited to see what they have to offer.

tundramom
12-02-2016, 09:47 PM
Up on the North Shore is a hole in the wall called Ted's pies. The have a sandwich counter and awesome pies (by the slice if you like). We enjoyed it immensely for lunch. Maui Mike's is another local dive in Wahiawa or Kialua for BBQ. I heartily second the Monkey Pod as a good option. We did the luau at Polynesian Cultural Center, wide variety of food...kahlua pork is just not our thing. Enjoy your trip!

tundramom
12-02-2016, 09:54 PM
Sounds morbid, but the Byodu-In Temple at the Valley of the Temples cemetery is amazing. So beautiful, serene, and the drive over the H1 to 63N. to Kaneohe is breath taking if you have a rental.

tundramom
12-02-2016, 09:56 PM
Oops, sorry just noticed your trip dates, hope you had a great trip. Maybe someone else will benefit from my tardiness.

baldburke
12-04-2016, 09:19 PM
Oops, sorry just noticed your trip dates, hope you had a great trip. Maybe someone else will benefit from my tardiness.

No worries! We had a fantastic trip...a week was not enough! We checked in and out Saturday to Saturday and only spent our first and last full days at Aulani. We did excursions at least part of the day from Monday through Thursday. 10 days to two weeks would be ideal for Hawaii. Still grateful for the time with the kids. Next time!

SBETigg
12-04-2016, 09:29 PM
No worries! We had a fantastic trip...a week was not enough! We checked in and out Saturday to Saturday and only spent our first and last full days at Aulani. We did excursions at least part of the day from Monday through Thursday. 10 days to two weeks would be ideal for Hawaii. Still grateful for the time with the kids. Next time!

Good to know! I'm going for my 50th in 2018, and planning for ten days.

baldburke
12-05-2016, 12:20 PM
Good to know! I'm going for my 50th in 2018, and planning for ten days.

Feel free to send me a message as we get closer if you like. I would be happy to pass along what we know and learned for next time. Hawaii was beautiful and Aulani felt like a Disney resort less the oppressive humidity.

SBETigg
12-06-2016, 11:56 AM
Thank you! Really looking forward to it!