PDA

View Full Version : Old Key West...not for us

Jforrest2
10-20-2016, 04:54 PM
We just got back from a week at Old Key West. Although it is a beautiful resort with large rooms we will not be going back. I am usually not one to complain but there are issues with OKW that I wish someone had given me a heads up on.

Going into this I knew that it was a large, spread out resort so I can't complain about the long bus rides just to get out. What I didn't count on was the fact that most units are lined up along the bus route so you get to enjoy the sounds of buses from early in the morning until late at night. As an added bonus, the walls are paper thin. I felt like I was part of the neighbor’s conversations. I honestly have had less noise from adjoining rooms on the occasions when we have chosen a value resort for a late night check in.

In the event that you get a room with a golf course view, be aware that the lawn mowers are up and at it by 7:00 am.

Ice…ice machines are located at the bus stops…it can be a nice long walk in the evening.

If you are a DVC member and this is your resort, I mean you no offense. We are annual pass holders and love most Walt Disney World resorts. This is just not the one for us.

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-20-2016, 05:14 PM
Doesn't sound like one we'd like either. Sorry you were disappointed, a bad resort can make or break a vacation.

Basket Mommy
10-20-2016, 10:16 PM
I've stayed at OKW 2 times in recent years and didn't encounter any of those problems. We're not early risers, either, so the lawnmowers would've definitely bothered us. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. OKW, while not our home resort, is one of my faves!

faline
10-21-2016, 09:46 AM
Interesting - that was my first impression of Old Key West as well. Our first stay at Old Key West was in a studio directly across from a bus stop. No only did we hear the buses idling while at the stop, they then went up the road, made a u-turn, and came past our room again. We did not have any neighbor noises. Since becoming owners at Old Key West, we've stayed several times (at least 4) at Old Key West and have really enjoyed our spacious rooms there. We've also stayed directly on the golf course and had no issues with lawnmover and/or other noises during our stays. At this resort, location is definitely a factor in your enjoyment of the resort.

ThanxForNoticin
10-21-2016, 01:02 PM
Very sorry to hear your experience was a bad one. To be honest, we own at OKW and have stayed there 25-30 times over the last 25 years. I can also tell you that we are extremely light sleepers. But I don't recall ever thinking of OKW as having thin walls, nor have we experienced those noise issues. There certainly are times you'll get those noisier-than-necessary neighbors for a night or two - but we've feel more "privacy" at OKW than many of the other resorts.

All that being said, we do tend to plan our trips well in advance, and have been fortunate to stay in the rooms nearer the hospitality area of the resort (because we can request it). Perhaps noises, including buses, are less of an issue around those rooms. I'm not sure.

Jforrest2
10-21-2016, 11:01 PM
It's all good. We will be back at Poly for Christmas!

buzznwoodysmom
10-22-2016, 10:05 AM
We did not particularly enjoy Old Key West either. OKW and Saratoga Springs are two resorts we likely won't stay at in Disney again. Far to large and spread out!

RavsRuleDisney!
10-30-2016, 08:26 PM
It's all good. We will be back at Poly for Christmas!

Yup, the POLY will cure all your ills!! :thumbsup: We ate there a few trips back to check out the resort and it has a real relaxed vibe to it - not too sure about the "ice at the bus stop" scenario! Olivia's Cafe' was a tasty surprise....

Simba's Mom
11-01-2016, 12:58 PM
We just got back from a week at Old Key West. Although it is a beautiful resort with large rooms we will not be going back. I am usually not one to complain but there are issues with OKW that I wish someone had given me a heads up on.

Going into this I knew that it was a large, spread out resort so I can't complain about the long bus rides just to get out. What I didn't count on was the fact that most units are lined up along the bus route so you get to enjoy the sounds of buses from early in the morning until late at night. As an added bonus, the walls are paper thin. I felt like I was part of the neighbor’s conversations. I honestly have had less noise from adjoining rooms on the occasions when we have chosen a value resort for a late night check in.

In the event that you get a room with a golf course view, be aware that the lawn mowers are up and at it by 7:00 am.

Ice…ice machines are located at the bus stops…it can be a nice long walk in the evening.

If you are a DVC member and this is your resort, I mean you no offense. We are annual pass holders and love most Walt Disney World resorts. This is just not the one for us.

Since you mentioned ice machines, I assume you had a studio. I'll admit that studios aren't OKW's best rooms. We're DVC members, owners at OKW which is DH's favorite resort (the fact that he loves golf doesn't hurt!). But I agree that the resort isn't for everyone. I'm not a fan of VWL, but some people LOVE it. Different resorts for everyone!

texas211
11-01-2016, 10:08 PM
Great post guys. Learned a lot. On our last trip, we were taking the boat by Key West and were thinking about it.. Now, nope...