PDA

View Full Version : Animal Kingdom - Poison ivy? Weird bug bites?

CleveSJM
09-10-2016, 12:34 AM
Has anyone ever had a "poison ivy" experience at Animal Kingdom? I'm back from a long weekend trip where we did Animal Kingdom last Saturday. After dinner at the Yak and Yeti, I notice two "bug bite" type spots on my right calf, one on my left calf and one low on the back of my left thigh. They started out a bit browner than a mosquito bites but looked like bug bites. Over the next couple days (even now) they behaved more like little poison ivy areas. Gold bond, calamine, and Aveeno ointments all helped.

Anyone with a similar experience or insight? I know poison ivy can be transferred. Did I just get unlucky and sit in the wrong place or is there a bug bite that blisters and weeps like poison ivy?

WDWdriver
09-10-2016, 08:20 AM
Sounds like yellow fly bites. Yellow flies are found in the southeast US, and are common in Florida. They like shaded areas near water, and are fierce biters of humans during the afternoon and evening hours. Their bite is more painful and itchy than a mosquito, lasting several days. You are more likely to get yellow fly bites at AK than the other parks because of all the trees, water and vegetation there.

mandaep
09-11-2016, 12:03 PM
I got a million bug bites on my .. ahem, butt, when I was asleep one night at CBR, I think? I wondered if it was a bug that was near the beach.

waymickey
09-14-2016, 01:05 PM
MY DD works at AK and she gets weird bites all the time. Yellow fly bites, red ant bites and others. It is a humid park with lots of animals and their droppings that attract bugs and all the trees and shrubs. Best to use some sort of repellent.

joonyer
09-14-2016, 02:01 PM
"Mite" be chiggers. They are voracious tiny critters. :bug:
Check them out: Trombiculidae

Isabella
09-14-2016, 06:25 PM
It's :bug:
:bug: an infestation!
Be very careful that you watch your back! :bug:

texas211
09-18-2016, 02:51 PM
On a trip to to WDW, there are only a million things you get exposed to. Could be a reaction to something it touched, other than a bug. You only encountered a million people, stayed in a hotel/resort, rode in public transportation of some sort, sat on public chairs (most of which are outdoors) and yes, Florida is the Noah's ark of bugs.

Could have been at the resort, and you noticed at AK?

I do think they do a pretty good job of trimming back negative vegetation.

CleveSJM
09-27-2016, 10:57 AM
WDWDriver got it. I'm sure it was Yellow Fly now. I don't have sensitive skin so not a reaction to something. I've had chigger bites before. After research, I now hate Yellow Flies the most. :cool:

Thanks everyone.

RavsRuleDisney!
10-10-2016, 04:14 PM
Let's see....we were surrounded by those red and black ladybug little dudes several years back and one time a bird dropped a package" on my DS' stroller heading out of the park but never had a bug biting issue there....