PDA

View Full Version : Free Insect Repellent in Orlando Parks

Speedy1998
08-31-2016, 01:08 PM
I just read that Disney (and Universal) are offering free insect repellent in the parks. This is apparently to quell fears about the Zika virus even though Miami is 200+ miles south of Orlando.

Genie1953
08-31-2016, 01:22 PM
Yes! I watched a live video yesterday of someone walking through Disney Springs and there was a table set up with a spray bottle of insect spray as well as wipes. My understanding is that it will be available in the rooms at the Disney resorts as well.

Lindsey
08-31-2016, 05:17 PM
There is at least 1 case in Tampa now too. Awesome if they make repellent available in the resort rooms too.

Altair
08-31-2016, 07:03 PM
This is apparently to quell fears about the Zika virus

It's more to quell their fears of a big lawsuit if they did nothing.

Polynesian Dweller
09-02-2016, 02:07 PM
It's more to quell their fears of a big lawsuit if they did nothing.

There's a lot wrong with that statement. It's part of a Florida wide initiative spearheaded by the Governor's office to curtail the spread of Zika. With cases showing up near Miami and elsewhere the state is being very aggressive about this and it's a good thing.

Because of the initiative all theme parks are doing this to help out, not to prevent law suits.

There could not be a lawsuit because you can't prevent something like a mosquito bite. With repellant the chances can be lessened but not completely prevented and a business or person cannot reasonably be expected to eradicate the risk and courts don't expect it.

Besides, as the governor said the theme parks, including Disney, have the best mosquito control programs available. They've already done their due diligence!

It may allay fears, but this is about controlling the spread so things don't get out of hand and really impact tourism. The state realizes how devasting a huge drop in theme park attendance would be and that's why they have gotten the theme parks on board.

JPooh
09-08-2016, 02:40 PM
We were there last week and there's a regular size spray of off in each room. I believe at all resort. We were at All Star Music and my niece at Caribbean Beach and we all had one.

ibelieveindisneymagic
09-08-2016, 03:32 PM
We were there last week and there's a regular size spray of off in each room. I believe at all resort. We were at All Star Music and my niece at Caribbean Beach and we all had one.

Yep, there is supposed to be spray in each room, as well as available at the parks. We saw them most at AK (and many people were using it).

I know the fact is not IF Zika comes to Orlando, but when. Of course, it is only one of the problems mosquitoes can cause, so avoiding bites when possible is always a good thing.

LifeislikeaHurricane
09-09-2016, 04:39 PM
In order for there to be a successful lawsuit there would have to be some sort of direct and provable Negligence by Disney World or one of its' employees. Mosquitoes could easily be attributed to a "assumed risk" of being outside in the state of Florida.

A cast member locking you in a DVC van full of infected mosquitoes would be an example of Negligence.

Like mentioned above, this is about prevention and goodwill in the state of Florida to ensure tourism continues to flourish which is to a lot of people's benefit across the state. I've seen Cutter being placed in the Rooms/Villas on site at Disney World as well.

texas211
09-18-2016, 03:20 PM
Forget zika. Dengue, West Nile, Chikungunya. I'd much rather not get those. Especially 1 and 3. Nope.. But, if willing to go to Florida, whose state bird is the mosquito, I guess I can't be too concerned. I do bring my own Repel spray and hope for the best.

acetate
09-18-2016, 07:00 PM
Any truth to reports of a 50 percent drop off in crowds because of this?
Some Orlando tourism site said folks were canceling their travel plans.

ibelieveindisneymagic
09-18-2016, 07:52 PM
I don't think so. I know I'm hearing reports of busy crowds at F&W, and sold-out hotels in October.

There will be some people who will choose to go somewhere else, I'm sure.

I'm in the "bring some good bug spray" and enjoy crowd.

waymickey
09-20-2016, 01:00 PM
Are they still doing the bug spray in the rooms?