PDA

View Full Version : Latest security line waits?

CleveSJM
08-28-2016, 09:16 AM
Anyone with insight on estimated security line waits for next Sunday and Monday? Thinking Hollywood Studios on Sunday and Magic Kingdom on Monday. Looking for the estimated time from getting into security line with a purse/backpack to when you'd actually be in the park. If you want to be in the park by 9:30 each day, what time would you plan to hit the security line? Thanks!

John
08-28-2016, 11:47 AM
Disney does a really good job of moving people into the parks - even with the new random metal detector screening. I've never waited more than about 5-10 minutes at worst to get in. Most times, it's more like 5 and under. I'd say if you figure 10-15 , you'll probably be pleasantly surprised.

Basket Mommy
08-28-2016, 03:22 PM
Just got back Friday. Waits were not bad, honestly. I went through bag check in Epcot and MK and had short waits both times. Only got selected for metal detector at MK. Didn't take a bag into DHS, but the lines were very short there. We went out around 10 am or noon every day.

CleveSJM
08-30-2016, 07:01 AM
Thanks for the replies! I was there around Easter and it seemed the waits were at least 30-45 minutes up until about noon. I think they were just rolling out the metal detectors. Sounds like its running smooth. Thanks again!

Imalismom
09-07-2016, 08:43 AM
Went to Magic Kingdom on 9/3/16 (going to Epcot Friday so can tell you about that this weekend)
There were several lines with a lot of people in them, but we choose a line with only 2 people ahead of us. Look at all the lines, before you get into a line. One of our group of three was randomly chosen for the metal detector, but that really was only a few minutes wait.

JanetMegan
09-07-2016, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the update! Headed down Sunday for 10 days!

CleveSJM
09-09-2016, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the update! Headed down Sunday for 10 days!

We just got back. Security lines were 5 minutes at the worst for those with bags. Without bags, you probably will go through metal detectors so be ready for that. No problems for us at any park with long security lines.

ibelieveindisneymagic
09-09-2016, 10:13 PM
One of our group of three was randomly chosen for the metal detector, but that really was only a few minutes wait.

Maybe it was just our "random" luck, but a member of our group was pulled for the metal detector every single time we went into a park. It varied who it was, but we never just walked into the park. It didn't take long at all, but just be prepared.

Imalismom
09-10-2016, 07:30 AM
Security lines at EPCOT yesterday at 8:35am where one or two people in line at each line - the line to get in was very slow moving - it just takes a while to scan and fingertip approve.

texas211
09-18-2016, 03:17 PM
Maybe it was just our "random" luck, but a member of our group was pulled for the metal detector every single time we went into a park. It varied who it was, but we never just walked into the park. It didn't take long at all, but just be prepared.

Yes, b/c wannna be cops understand random. I was randomly selected 30 times in a row at the airport. Randomly pulled over. Just depends who they are looking to harass that day.

I forgot about all of this nonsense. I might have reconsidered going to WDW for vacation, and chosen another destination. NFL/Cowboys adopted standards like checking every guest who comes to a game, so I've stopped going to games. Watch for free on TV.

magicofdisney
09-18-2016, 03:48 PM
Last week at Epcot, I was randomly selected to go through the metal detector AFTER bag check approval. Slow day I guess. :shrug:

Imalismom
09-18-2016, 04:39 PM
It HAD to be a slow week, I was randomly selected at Animal Kingdom - no security lines at all there when I went.. I think they were bored....

texas211
09-19-2016, 08:21 PM
Disney employees with nothing better to do.

CaptSmee
09-27-2016, 10:40 AM
I was suprised at how much tighter security was at Universal than it is at Disney. EVERYONE goes through metal detectors there while at Disney (especially MK) didn't even seem to be 15% of guests. They do move quickly but I would give an extra 15 mins for security check

texas211
09-30-2016, 10:30 PM
Just leaving WDW now. Took us 30-40 minutes to get through security and the gates twice this week. When we arrived later, closer to 11, it was maybe 10 minutes or so.

biggun35
10-05-2016, 03:56 PM
Please remember that the security checks are not there to inconvenience you, they are there for your safety. Would rather wait in line for a few minutes instead having to hide from an active shooter.

And the security castmembers are not "wanna be cops", they are just people like you and me doing their jobs.

texas211
10-06-2016, 05:11 PM
All rent a cops are wanna be's. I thought that was a fact. Plus extra cops, well. Doesn't necessarily make me feel safe.

If you feel that security check does anything? I assure you it does not, other than inconvenience everyone. Its mostly for show to make folks feel better. Now, if you want to force everyone to go through airport style screens. Increase and do single file lines with man traps. All xray machines, pat downs of children, and have everything including strollers go through xray machines, then maybe. Plus hire substantial guards. Short of that, wasting my time and making more lines for no attraction :)

Also, if there is going to be an incident, i'd say your chances of seeing it go up at the security line. You are possibly revealing or hindering progress. Combine that with the fact you are all bottle necked into a large mass. Nuh uh. I'd rather it be less restrictive and get through line much faster. Then be packed into a dense, target rich environment.

NewDVCowner
10-06-2016, 05:29 PM
Last week at Epcot, I was randomly selected to go through the metal detector AFTER bag check approval. Slow day I guess. :shrug:

I was there there in August and they were doing this at all the parks. Everyone in our group got pulled out at one point or another after bag check to then go through the metal detector.

The thing that got me is that they were opening EVERYTHING when they went through with my backpack including my wallet. I was very uncomfortable with some random person opening my wallet and exclaiming 'moola!' . There was a young teen girl on the other side of the table from me one day that had her little pouch of feminine items opened up by a male security guard. Knowning how uncomfortable that would have been for me at her age I couldn't help but feel bad for her. I wrote to Disney about it, too though they never responded, even though I requested a response.

I understand wanting to keep people safe, but I also think there should be more common sense to the whole process.

debbymc4
10-10-2016, 09:48 PM
This weekend, I was at DHS at 11 and MK at 9:30. Both times the check was pretty quick. I was selected for the metal detector at MK, but that took no time at all.

Cinderelley
10-12-2016, 12:33 AM
All rent a cops are wanna be's. I thought that was a fact. Plus extra cops, well. Doesn't necessarily make me feel safe.

If you feel that security check does anything? I assure you it does not, other than inconvenience everyone. Its mostly for show to make folks feel better. Now, if you want to force everyone to go through airport style screens. Increase and do single file lines with man traps. All xray machines, pat downs of children, and have everything including strollers go through xray machines, then maybe. Plus hire substantial guards. Short of that, wasting my time and making more lines for no attraction :)

Also, if there is going to be an incident, i'd say your chances of seeing it go up at the security line. You are possibly revealing or hindering progress. Combine that with the fact you are all bottle necked into a large mass. Nuh uh. I'd rather it be less restrictive and get through line much faster. Then be packed into a dense, target rich environment.

Perhaps it is your antagonistic attitude that gets you checked more often. People pick up on that.

Hog
10-12-2016, 11:30 AM
I may be in the minority but I would rather everyone get put through a metal detector/body scanner at theme parks/airports/sporting events. I would be willing to wait longer in order to make this happen. In the world we live in today I'd rather be safe than sorry. I am 100% fine with being selected with any of these checks.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Sylvia
10-12-2016, 12:39 PM
I may be in the minority but I would rather everyone get put through a metal detector/body scanner at theme parks/airports/sporting events. I would be willing to wait longer in order to make this happen. In the world we live in today I'd rather be safe than sorry. I am 100% fine with being selected with any of these checks.

In spite of several negative posts, I truly hope you're not in the minority.

I agree with your comments.

biggun35
10-12-2016, 01:25 PM
I have a part time job as a licensed unarmed security guard, or "wanna be cop" as stated earlier, in Tennessee and work at numerous venues in the area. Some have metal detectors and some don't but every venue has bag checks. 99% of the people have no problem with the extra security and most thank us for doing the check, they get it that it's for their safety and not just an inconvenience. I find numerous knives, mace and the occasional gun at each event and would hate for those to get through, especially at events where alcohol is served. I have no issue with the extra security and always try to thank the people doing the checks.

texas211
10-12-2016, 08:52 PM
Perhaps it is your antagonistic attitude that gets you checked more often. People pick up on that.

Actually it was my wife who kept getting picked (and she is really easy going).

The rest of the situation, still a bottleneck and a wait.

And think of all of those items who have always made it, and still do, and voila, no issue. All of the issues as of late, none of these measures would have stopped them.

In fact, wish I could wear my cf.

Cinderelley
10-13-2016, 06:15 AM
If someone really wants to do something bad, they will find a way to get through no matter what security measures are taken. I would imagine that the checks prevent spur of the moment issues where tempers flare over something, and reason is lost.

magicofdisney
10-13-2016, 08:25 AM

I don't mind the metal detectors. I suppose my statement didn't come across as such. My point is, I had already done the bag check. Why not put the metal detectors right there with bag check so that it's completed in one fell swoop? Why must we be randomly selected and pulled aside?

biggun35
10-26-2016, 10:58 AM
Good job by EPCOT security.

http://www.wesh.com/article/man-tried-to-bring-loaded-gun-into-disneys-epcot-affidavit-says/7204813

biggun35
10-26-2016, 10:58 PM
Another great job by Disney security, this time at AK.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-woman-arrrested-gun-disney-20161026-story.html

texas211
10-29-2016, 05:07 PM
Yes, purple guns should be confiscated. That is just tacky. Stainless or all blackcerakote is the way to go.

waymickey
10-31-2016, 08:21 AM
I get pulled for the metal detector almost every time I enter the park. I don't mind at all but my family finds it hysterical. I am under 5 foot tall and I am usually wearing gym shorts and a basic T-shirt. No pockets to hide anything in. I would rather they check then not check so It doesnt bother me the extra 30 seconds to be safe.

Terra
11-06-2016, 09:16 AM

Living only an hour away we go monthly. I did notice a couple of weeks ago that they didn't have guest without bags anymore. And everyone was going through the metal detector.
I am 100% fine with it. It would be easy to hide something so I'd rather them check everyone.

And Cinderelly, I agree with your post. I still don't understand how some on here can be sarcastic, and down right rude and still allowed to stay. I've quit trying to figure it out. But I do know it makes me not post here as often.

Imalismom
11-06-2016, 09:59 AM
As a moderator, if we deleted every negative post, that would not be good for this site either. We really try hard to make sure people are not rude, and that this stays a good family site. Terra (or anyone else), if you ever find a post that you find offensive to you, please click on the report post icon. I can promise you that it will be looked at quickly by several people.

As for the long lines. I just came back from WDW - even though I only live 45 minutes away, I choose to stay on site this week. I was chosen several times to go through the metal detectors. I wish EVERY one would be required to go through, but that is not happening at this time. It took but a few minutes out of my time, and was very quick. I had really no wait to go through the purse check section each time I went through them.

I will say that I have seen an increase of security personal and regular police this week. In Disney Springs, on Thursday, they had regular police posted outside of almost all the bigger stores, and sometimes 3 or 4 of them. At Epcot, there were many more regular police officers outside the main gates than I normally have seen. When I got off the bus at Magic Kingdom, the first things I saw was many more patrol cars parked. So, yes, they have added to their security, but no, the lines are not any longer than what is usual for me to see.

Terra
11-06-2016, 10:39 AM
As a moderator, if we deleted every negative post, that would not be good for this site either. We really try hard to make sure people are not rude, and that this stays a good family site. Terra (or anyone else), if you every find a post that you find offensive to you, please click on the report post icon. I can promise you that it will be looked at quickly by several people.

As for the long lines. I just came back from WDW - even though I only live 45 minutes away, I choose to stay on site this week. I was chosen several times to go through the metal detectors. I wish EVERY one would be required to go through, but that is not happening at this time. It took but a few minutes out of my time, and was very quick. I had really no wait to go through the purse check section each time I went through them.

I will say that I have seen an increase of security personal and regular police this week. In Disney Springs, on Thursday, they had regular police posted outside of almost all the bigger stores, and sometimes 3 or 4 of them. At Epcot, there were many more regular police officers outside the main gates than I normally have seen. When I got off the bus at Magic Kingdom, the first things I saw was many more patrol cars parked. So, yes, they have added to their security, but no, the lines are not any longer than what is usual for me to see.

Will do. Thank you.

Yes I've noticed that as well over the last several months, increased OCPD around entrances. I honestly feel a bit better seeing more security whether it be PD or private.

texas211
11-06-2016, 11:05 AM
I wonder if they could do a TSA Pre-Check type pass to get through line faster?

#1donaldfan
11-10-2016, 12:29 PM

I find what you're saying very off the cuff and not well thought out. "wanna be cops" ?? Really ?? Most of the security are retired "officers of the law" from many prospective and honored agencies. The media may dice up a few bad apples, but the fact remains we would be in the "wild, wild west" if not for some type of "law enforcement". Sure, it's a show of intent to screen as they do and rightly so. I do not mind security pulling me aside, I have nothing to hide and certainly will never condemn them for doing what their "company" tells them to do. As for the question at hand, I was just there and all the security lines I went through were fast and painless.

Imalismom
11-11-2016, 09:10 AM

Texas2112, I disagree that all uniformed security personal are "Wanna Be Cops". Or to put it a little more respectful "Wanna Be Policemen". I personally knew the head of security at WDW - we met while we were waiting in line believe it or not, and after talking for a while, made it a point to get to know each other and the families outside of WDW. This was in the 90's, and he is no longer there, but I can tell you, he was NOT a "wanna be".

I do not find what is being done a waste of time. Do I personally think that guns do get into WDW? I'd be an idiot to say no. I have a concealed licence and I do carry. But I also respect the laws and do not carry where I am not supposed to.

WDW is doing the best it can at this point in time. Is it stopping everything all the time? Probably not, but it did stop two in the recent past.

If you feel you have a better way, instead of posting what could be considered a rude comment, write to Disney. Make an appointment with someone at Disney. Do a study. Bring numbers and facts. I'm sure if you can build a better mousetrap (just not a Mickey one), Disney would indeed talk to you.

mydisneygirls
11-11-2016, 11:50 AM

I am with you! Totally agree. They do it at Universal.

texas211
11-12-2016, 09:30 PM
Texas2112, I disagree that all uniformed security personal are "Wanna Be Cops". Or to put it a little more respectful "Wanna Be Policemen". I personally knew the head of security at WDW - we met while we were waiting in line believe it or not, and after talking for a while, made it a point to get to know each other and the families outside of WDW. This was in the 90's, and he is no longer there, but I can tell you, he was NOT a "wanna be".

I do not find what is being done a waste of time. Do I personally think that guns do get into WDW? I'd be an idiot to say no. I have a concealed licence and I do carry. But I also respect the laws and do not carry where I am not supposed to.

WDW is doing the best it can at this point in time. Is it stopping everything all the time? Probably not, but it did stop two in the recent past.

If you feel you have a better way, instead of posting what could be considered a rude comment, write to Disney. Make an appointment with someone at Disney. Do a study. Bring numbers and facts. I'm sure if you can build a better mousetrap (just not a Mickey one), Disney would indeed talk to you.

Well, that is the thing. I don't want any mousetrap.
As far as the quality of the guards and/or the presence of police, we'll have to leave that to a general disagreement over quality, efficacy and how safe the police are.

I too abide by the law, as do most carry holders. As we aren't the ones you have to worry about. Though it'd be nice to be able to carry there. But are the measures really to stop pistols from getting in? No, b/c they really can't stop that. Though if they ever moved to an arguably more effective, but much longer method (like the airport), then that would eliminate the frequency and duration of my visits.

As far as making it safer. People are upset over things like the Orlando club shooting, everything in Paris, school shootings etc. None of these measures would have stopped them. If you want to talk numbers, there have been more gator attacks than gunfights at WDW... They didn't drain the lagoon or POTC did they?

Well, maybe Trump can make the world safer. We'll have to wait and see.

PS. Not a Mickey Trap, but Ratatouille (tie in to bring that ride to WDW).

Genie1953
11-12-2016, 11:00 PM
We have been getting through the lines pretty quickly...15 minutes or less and that includes waiting in line and them checking my small
Day bag and my husband's back pack. We have been here since Monday afternoon and been in the parks daily since Tuesday and gone through security twice a day. I have been pulled aside twice asked to go through the scanner and my husband has been asked to go through the scanner every time except once. We never mind at all and always thank security for doing such a thorough job. Would rather take a few minutes longer and be safe than sorry!

VWL Mom
11-14-2016, 05:11 AM
*******Moderator Alert*******

This thread is treading into dangerous territory. Let's get back to the original question on what the op can expect about wait times and not opinions on the security staff at WDW.

Genie1953
11-14-2016, 08:00 AM
*******Moderator Alert*******

This thread is treading into dangerous territory. Let's get back to the original question on what the op can expect about wait times and not opinions on the security staff at WDW.

Sorry. Is there any way I can delete my post? Didn't realize I said anything against the rules. I thought I was just answering the question and also included that we don't mind it.

Altair
11-14-2016, 08:18 AM
Sorry. Is there any way I can delete my post? Didn't realize I said anything against the rules. I thought I was just answering the question and also included that we don't mind it.

It's not you.

VWL Mom
11-14-2016, 10:04 AM

The alert just happened to follow your post, you're fine.