PDA

View Full Version : Can you use a GoPro 4 session with short flotation handle in parks on rides

disneydoug
08-27-2016, 11:35 AM
Thank you

faline
08-27-2016, 02:51 PM
We were told we could not bring into the park any device that would lengthen the camera and/or phone. A tripod would be okay but my husband's monopod would not be. Despite this, we occasionally saw others in the park with selfie sticks attached to their cameras. Looked like they got them by security but we didn't see any cast members rushing to tell folks they weren't allowed.

VAdizneefan
08-27-2016, 07:45 PM
We had the lovely experience (at Disneyland) on California Screamin' of having the ride stopped at the peak of the biggest hill because of a teenager who had a selfie stick on the ride. The entire ride was then stopped for hours, almost the rest of the day, and we got to walk down the steps from that point back to ground level. That was after ride staff had to walk up to us and engineers had to come to manually release us from the cars. Needless to say, leave selfie sticks and anything like them at home or other park goers will be rather upset with you. :mickey:

WDWdriver
08-28-2016, 08:29 AM
CMs will usually tolerate a short "handle" attached to the camera. But anything that extends the camera away from your hand (such as a selfie stick) is not permitted.

#1donaldfan
08-29-2016, 12:14 PM
.... I still see people with them from time to time and hope they get "busted" at some point, but people do not learn.....

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-29-2016, 04:19 PM
.... I still see people with them from time to time and hope they get "busted" at some point, but people do not learn.....

I've been surprised at how many I've seen on this trip ... many more than last year. :(

VWL Mom
08-29-2016, 04:27 PM
Don't know about now but the GoPro short handle was allowed when the selfie stick ban was instituted. This was posted at WDWNews back then:

Yes, starting tomorrow (June 30th, 2015), “selfie sticks” are banned from Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resort theme parks, but many have wondered what this means for other tripod or mono-pod type camera items. Well, Disney will still be allowing many of these items in, but there are some exceptions:

Tripods that can be folded and stored in a reasonable size bag are allowed. Large tripods are not.
Extendable camera monopods are allowed.
GoPro brand name body and head harnesses are allowed.
Short, brand name GoPro handles are allowed.
Brand name or similar style GRIP & SHOOT handles are also allowed.
GoPro 3-way or similar style extending handles are not allowed.
Selfie sticks of any kind are not allowed.

Essentially, any extending sticks for phones or GoPro cameras are now banned. The rules on tripods have always been as stated above, so there is no surprise there either.

I think I know the handle OP is referring to, it's just a short handle that attaches to the bottom of the GoPro to make it easier to hold. It is not extendable.

CoulterFAM
09-02-2016, 09:10 PM
We visited WDW in July 2015 right after they instituted the ban and they did allow my daughter to bring in her GoPro floatation handle to the water parks and the parks. They were mostly concerned about the extendable selfie stick/poles. You should be fine :mickey: