PDA

View Full Version : Nutrition in Resturants.

ransam
08-24-2016, 01:43 PM
as someone who has just been diagnosed w/ Diabetes. Where can i find a nutrition chart on the resturants so i can plan my meals?

thanks.

Fangorn
08-24-2016, 04:14 PM
Disney does a lot of things well. Providing nutritional data for their food service is not one of them. Unless they've made a change in the last month or so, they do not have that information available. You can get it for some of the pure packaged stuff they sell, but not for the food served in the restaurants. You can, however, always speak with a chef (even at counter service) and they can at least give you some suggestions.

But actual charts? Not available.

Steve

TheDuckRocks
08-25-2016, 10:12 AM
Recently I have seen pictures of menus from 2 counter service locations on another website that have calorie counts included. They were Columbia Harbor House in MK and Blaze Fast Fire'd Pizza in Disney Springs. I'm hoping this is evidence of new thinking and more to come from Disney with nutritional awareness. Still along way from everything I'd like to know but small steps forward is sure better than what we've seen to this point. And I promise to not go into another rant about their lame attempt at allergy info.

rwdavis2
08-26-2016, 02:48 PM
I would think you could determine this by looking at menus.

j2k
08-31-2016, 05:04 PM
I would think you could determine this by looking at menus.

It is difficult to determine the calories, fat, saturated fat, carbs, sugars, proteins, etc. etc. by looking at a menu? I can take a good guess but in very many cases there are things that are unknown and can throw my guess off.

It's easy to choose what is perceived as lighter fare by looking at a menu. Grilled fish or chicken. Salads. Grilled or steamed veggies. But lots of times in restaurants there is more to the meal than what it looks like on the surface? If it is grilled, what kind of oil was used and how much? If it is a salad, what is used in the salad dressing? These are just 2 examples of the things I've encountered that have thrown my guesses off significantly.

When eating at restaurants there are times where I have chosen a meal from the menu based on the fact that it sounds reasonable. It sounds like it fits what I'm looking for. Afterwards when I look up the nutrition info online I am shocked by how my "good" choice was not so good after all. I've learned to pre-plan my restaurant meals and lookup nutritional info ahead of time. The fact that Disney doesn't provide this info is annoying.

TheDuckRocks
09-01-2016, 09:07 AM
The fact that Disney doesn't provide this info is annoying.

It is not only annoying, I just don't understand how they get away with not providing this info to the public. Any chain restaurant in the US by law has to. I'm betting the millions of meals a year served at WDW is much greater than some chain restaurants.
My main concern used to strictly about how many calories food contained so I wouldn't gain too much weight while there. With age I now have to watch my carb/sugar intake as I'm approaching the pre type 2 Diabetic category. I never realized how tricky that can be for a diabetic until I saw my brother-in-law, who has it, have a very bad spell after eating breakfast while we were in Animal Kingdom. In hind sight we figured out exactly what he had eaten could have had hidden carbs, than eating the same items at home would have. If the nutritional info was available there would not have been any guess work and he could very easily avoided the scare.