PDA

View Full Version : Why Aerosmith?

ransam
08-24-2016, 01:41 PM
With Rock n Roll rollercoaster in the news-I was wondering why Aerosmith is the band for the attraction? Don't get me wrong, I love the band, but not sure it fits in with Disney. I'm sure someone has asked this before, but i haven't seen it, any one know?

1DisneyNut
08-24-2016, 03:30 PM
Well fast rock music makes everything seem faster and more energized and kicks the adrenaline up so that is probably why they wanted rock. With that in mind what other rock band would be more recognizable or a better fit? I mean, I don't think Ozzy Osbourne or Metallica would be a better fit. lol

BrerGnat
08-24-2016, 07:00 PM
Because they were willing to sign the contract 17 years ago? And they are a very popular recognizable group.

joonyer
08-24-2016, 10:43 PM
I don't know how Aerosmith was chosen. But who else were they gonna get? Guns n' Roses? AC-DC? Nirvana? Nope, Nope and Nope. Maybe the Rolling Stones? I don't think Disney thought they fit the right "image" either, although they were probably less controversial than Aerosmith by the 90's

Scar
08-25-2016, 09:17 AM
I think I remember reading (probably here) that The Stones were the first choice but they couldn't work out a contract.

baldburke
08-25-2016, 12:12 PM
I suppose Aerosmith is the closest the US has to rock and roll royalty so I'd say they are a good choice. It's certainly a better choice than Elvis (no offense to Elvis), he just isn't classic rock. And Michael Jackson was the King of Pop.

Speedy1998
08-25-2016, 12:49 PM
I think I remember reading (probably here) that The Stones were the first choice but they couldn't work out a contract.

That is what I have heard Stones were the first choice but they were not interested, Aerosmith was plan B. Actually, at the time the attraction was built (1999) they were a good plan B. Aerosmith had just had a slew of hits in the 90's. Also they have been recording for decades so they provided plenty of studio and live recordings to play in the queue. I think it is something like 72 hours of play time before the queue music restarts.

ransam
08-25-2016, 01:11 PM
Other bands i think would be cool could be Rolling Stones, as mentioned, Kiss (which would have been very visual), Def Lepard, Lynyrd SKynyrd (my fav band, but also a band from Florida), Led Zeplin, Beach Boys, just on the top of my head.

I did some research though,and it seems Stones were the number one choice, U2 was the second, and Aerosmith was the third....U2 would have been differnt. LOL

pcoleman
08-25-2016, 04:52 PM
They may not have been the first choice but 'm glad they were the last choice. I love Aerosmith. Every time I hear Love in an Elevator it brings me right back to Disney.

Fangorn
08-25-2016, 05:10 PM
If I remember correctly (no guarantee - I'm old) - the Stones were Disney's first choice, but RS wanted more money than Eisner was willing to pay. Disney's second choice was U2, but they were not interested at all. Aerosmith was actually Plan C.

Steve

Speedy1998
08-26-2016, 12:44 PM
Other bands i think would be cool could be Rolling Stones, as mentioned, Kiss (which would have been very visual), Def Lepard, Lynyrd SKynyrd (my fav band, but also a band from Florida), Led Zeplin, Beach Boys, just on the top of my head.

Part of the problem with some of these band (Particularly the Beach Boys and Lynyrd Skynyrd) is that in 1999 when RnR opened they had not released any new albums in quite a while.

Aerosmith had just release a new album in 1996, and they had just had a big hit in 1998 with "I don't want to miss a thing" from the Armageddon Soundtrack.

Giggy
08-28-2016, 06:06 PM
To me they seem the sensible option, but then again that's possibly because that's what I'm used to it being the last 17 years.

Ride was looking for the classic rock image but without too much of a dark or controversial image that you'd get with some bands that fit that genre. Like any rock band there will always be the inevitable story in the press or song lyric that is slightly more than PG but it's probably a better Disney fit than if you compare them to Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, etc. (Not that there is anything wrong with either of those bands - just maybe not 'Disney'!)

Conversely they did well to avoid falling into the trap of the family-friendly boy band of the year which would have not had the long lasting or universal appeal and would just generally not fit the theme.

LifeislikeaHurricane
08-30-2016, 11:51 AM
The Stones rumored price was 10 million a year in licensing fees for the music and the bands' likeness. Disney was like thanks but no thanks and Aerosmith was around 1/10th the price and had worked with the Studios in other capacities and Tyler was very keen on the idea from the get go.

When you think about generational Rock and Roll bands, Aerosmith spans much of the parks guest age range at the time of opening putting out music over decades.

i'm grumpy
08-30-2016, 12:55 PM
They may not have been the first choice but 'm glad they were the last choice. I love Aerosmith. Every time I hear Love in an Elevator it brings me right back to Disney.

:exactly: :coaster: I wasn't a fan until the coaster. :)

Lindsey
09-06-2016, 01:09 PM
I've always thought that the Red Hot Chili Peppers would be a good band for this attraction. They were very popular in the 90's, didn't have a bad reputation, (in 1999 they encouraged kids in the USA to write an essay on school violence after the Columbine shooting, the band selected an entry and gave a free concert at the school), and they are still popular today. I've never been much of an Aerosmith fan, but their music really works with that ride.

SBETigg
09-07-2016, 10:33 AM
I've always thought that the Red Hot Chili Peppers would be a good band for this attraction. They were very popular in the 90's, didn't have a bad reputation, (in 1999 they encouraged kids in the USA to write an essay on school violence after the Columbine shooting, the band selected an entry and gave a free concert at the school), and they are still popular today. I've never been much of an Aerosmith fan, but their music really works with that ride.

Red Hot Chili Peppers didn't have a bad reputation? Anthony Kiedis was convicted of misdemeanor sexual battery and indecent exposure in 1989, with drummer Chad Smith and Flea arrested later that year for battery. So I think, yeah, that probably took them out of the running. On the other hand, most of Aerosmith's troubles seemed to behind them at that point with Steven Tyler having completed rehab in 86, and the band taking on a more playful, friendly image in the public eye. They presented as toned down, reformed bad boys with new hits to complement their list of past fan favorites. Maybe not the first choice, but arguably a good one.

Lindsey
09-07-2016, 11:29 AM
Red Hot Chili Peppers didn't have a bad reputation?

In 1999? Nope. What you mention happened 10 years prior. Aerosmith & RHCP's both participated in illegal activity in their youth, as do many male rock groups. In 1989 I was in 2nd grade, by 1999 I was in 12th and RHCP were very popular. I didn't even learn about some of the bad stuff Aerosmith & RHCP did in the 80's, (and 70's for Aerosmith), until I was in my early 20's.

ransam
09-08-2016, 05:35 PM
Part of the problem with some of these band (Particularly the Beach Boys and Lynyrd Skynyrd) is that in 1999 when RnR opened they had not released any new albums in quite a while.

Aerosmith had just release a new album in 1996, and they had just had a big hit in 1998 with "I don't want to miss a thing" from the Armageddon Soundtrack.

I agree with Lynyrd Skynyrd, like i said i only threw them out there cause they are my favorite band, but i would have never based a ride on them if I was to choose. But the Beach Boys I think are popular enough that they could have easily based the ride on them.

having said that, I'm happy w/ Aerosmith, I was just wondering why they were chosen, but yea, w/ a new album and their popularity, it makes sense.

baldburke
09-12-2016, 12:38 PM
I agree with Lynyrd Skynyrd, like i said i only threw them out there cause they are my favorite band, but i would have never based a ride on them if I was to choose. But the Beach Boys I think are popular enough that they could have easily based the ride on them.

Although the Beach Boys weren't necessarily clean-cut, they certainly strived for that image. Areosmith certainly had their fair share of scandal. However by the early 90s, like lots of other rock and roll bands, they at least cleaned it up enough to "go corporate." Either way, the Beach Boys are more pop than rock and roll. It's probably some of the best pop ever (Pet Sounds), but again not really rock and roll with screaming guitars.

texas211
09-18-2016, 03:07 PM
Plus that was the whole time where the Armageddon soundtrack was so big.