PDA

View Full Version : Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Alters Pre-Show

Figment!
08-21-2016, 12:14 PM
After years of fervent Internet debate, the pre-show for Rock 'n' Roller Coaster has been altered to eliminate what has been debated to accidentally resemble or intentionally be an offensive hand gesture.

The pre-show has been digitally altered to replace the hand gesture Steven Tyler makes against his forehead with the line "I love that idea" to stay an open palm.

It is unclear why this change was made just over 17 years after the attraction's opening.

Arielfan98
08-21-2016, 12:46 PM
I never realized he made a gesture period, and had no idea what it means and I'm an adult. I'm sure kids don't know what it means either and most people I've talked to about the matter agree with me in that they didn't realize he made a gesture either.

DonaldDuck1117
08-21-2016, 12:46 PM
Dumb. 17 years and they make a change? Heck, I wasn't even aware of this "controversy" until they changed it. And I know what the symbol is and not once in 17 years did I think Tyler was making that symbol.

1DisneyNut
08-21-2016, 05:46 PM
I noticed once that it vaguely resembled the shocker but it appears totally incidental. Who is the cry baby that got this edited? I swear I get tired of these small percentages of people making noise until they get their way.

azcavalier
08-21-2016, 10:46 PM
I noticed once that it vaguely resembled the shocker but it appears totally incidental. Who is the cry baby that got this edited? I swear I get tired of these small percentages of people making noise until they get their way.

Can I say, "Amen"?

This drives me nuts. Probably .01% of the population has any clue what the symbol is supposed to mean (I don't, BTW), and I doubt that it was Steven Tyler's intention, or that it even meant that 17 years ago. But someone chose to be offended, and made a big deal about it, which draws attention to it and makes it far worse than it would have been had it just been left alone.

PirateLover
08-21-2016, 11:46 PM
You know, I've noticed that it was an odd gesture, but never interpreted it as... that. Seems like all they've done is make a mountain out of a molehill as it has become rampant all over the internet and Steven Tyler himself has had quite a potty-mouth response to the whole situation.

joonyer
08-22-2016, 12:29 PM
17 years ago nobody knew (or cared) what it meant. But was long before the days of Social Media dominating the court of public opinion.

baldburke
08-22-2016, 12:33 PM
You know, I've noticed that it was an odd gesture, but never interpreted it as... that. Seems like all they've done is make a mountain out of a molehill as it has become rampant all over the internet and Steven Tyler himself has had quite a potty-mouth response to the whole situation.

That's interesting as it's been in the news at least twice in the last year that ST's been to WDW so he must be a fan. I can't believe that at his age he's so rock & roll as to boycott Disney, but we'll see. I'd have to imagine there's some sort of licensing agreement where they still get paid by Disney to use the Aerosmith name. It's probably not a lot for them in the grand scheme of things, but again it's probably enough that he's not going to be too rock & roll as to demand his name pulled off the ride.

Goofy4TheWorld
08-22-2016, 05:17 PM
I now expect to see a LOT of PhotoPass ride photos with people showing this gesture, which if I knew what it was or what it meant, I may do myself!

joonyer
08-22-2016, 05:23 PM
I now expect to see a LOT of PhotoPass ride photos with people showing this gesture, which if I knew what it was or what it meant, I may do myself!

I think you are probably right. Whoever was offended by it, even though 99.9% of people had no clue what it meant, will now be seeing it everywhere. :(

1DisneyNut
08-22-2016, 06:31 PM

Google "The Shocker" or look it up on urban dictionary. Then let us know if you will be taking photo ops showing it. I think it is funny and even if Steven Tyler actually did do it on purpose I would find it humorous especially since he would have gotten away with it for 17 years. lol

Goofy4TheWorld
08-22-2016, 06:38 PM
Google "The Shocker" or look it up on urban dictionary..

Oh my, I just busted out laughing hysterically!

Before I Googled it I thought to myself "I wonder if I should be using incognito mode for this?" lol

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

RunDMV
08-22-2016, 07:31 PM
But they play "walk this way?"

TikiLounger
08-23-2016, 08:44 AM
Hahahaha! I had to Google it...had NO clue what you were all talking about, although I have noticed that Steven Tyler made the gesture. I just thought it was a flamboyantly odd Steven Tyler Rock and Roll mannerism. I really don't think it was intentional. But, you never know. The whole this is hilarious, btw. Oh, and I agree that we'll be seeing it in photo passes everywhere, but I won't be doing it myself. For me, this is a case of TMI, now that I know. :blush:

TikiLounger
08-23-2016, 09:04 AM
I"ll add that, being a person from MA, I have a soft spot for Aerosmith. While I have no real personal experiences to share, I've heard tons of stories about the band members' behavior out in the real world. I've only heard good things about them. Apparently, Steven Tyler is a really nice guy. Very respectful and good to his fans. My daughter lives in Nashville and works in a cafe that he frequents. Same there. He's super nice to staff and fellow patrons. So? I have a hard time believing that the gesture was intentional. Maybe he's lewd onstage at times (and let's be real...probably much less so than some younger bands these days), but I can't imagine that he'd be so disrespectful in something outside of that realm. Especially in a place geared towards family fun.

BrerGnat
08-23-2016, 10:30 AM
From his tweets, it seems obvious that he DID do it intentionally and is amused that it took Disney 17 years to notice and do something about it. One of his tweets mentioned that he will be there in a week and that RnR is "still the best theme park ride of all time." So, didn't seem like he was upset about it at all.

I have also heard that if you make that gesture during the on rode photo or for a photo pass photographer, your photo will be deleted, for what it's worth.

PirateLover
08-23-2016, 12:48 PM
Steven Tyler himself has had quite a potty-mouth response to the whole situation.

That's interesting as it's been in the news at least twice in the last year that ST's been to WDW so he must be a fan. I can't believe that at his age he's so rock & roll as to boycott Disney, but we'll see. I'd have to imagine there's some sort of licensing agreement where they still get paid by Disney to use the Aerosmith name. It's probably not a lot for them in the grand scheme of things, but again it's probably enough that he's not going to be too rock & roll as to demand his name pulled off the ride.

From his tweets, it seems obvious that he DID do it intentionally and is amused that it took Disney 17 years to notice and do something about it. One of his tweets mentioned that he will be there in a week and that RnR is "still the best theme park ride of all time." So, didn't seem like he was upset about it at all.
Right, I didn't mean he was upset and was going to boycott or anything, just that his response to the whole thing, while joking in nature, also included vulgarities and was spread all over the internet. And he tweeted these things directly at disney's account.

As to whether or not he did it on purpose... I don't know that his tweet confirms he did but it doesn't really matter at this point. His initial tweet said “You know I would own up to this doozie." So I take that to mean he would say heck yeah I meant to do that, which he didn't... but either way now it's all over the place.

coneheads
08-25-2016, 09:18 AM
I am a Wichita State Alum, team name the "Shockers", and this gesture is their official hand gesture lol. For a chuckle google an image of WuShock the mascot. Fantastic school though tier 1 Engineering College, and one of the most feared College BBall opponents come March.

Go Shocks!

RunDMV
08-25-2016, 07:13 PM
For a chuckle google an image of WuShock the mascot.!

Looks like Donald Trump after drinking around the world,,,,,3 times.

TheVBs
08-27-2016, 10:12 AM
Wish I were still blissfully clueless! LOL! I'm sorry I googled that. One more thing to add to my list of "Things I never needed to know..."

LittleSpirit02
08-28-2016, 05:42 PM
I kinda feel like if you easily recognize and know what the symbol means... you probably wouldn't be the type to be offended by it. Now it's something EVERYONE is aware of cause they changed it. lol. I never would've noticed anything!