PDA

View Full Version : Need save-the-date-help! Virtual or physical?

BriarRose0708
08-02-2016, 10:08 AM
Hello! My fiance and I are almost done with our guest list (that was fun ;)) and are now discussing what to do for sending save-the-dates. Initially I wanted to send them via email through Paperless Post. It's more economical for us to use the free service and 99% of our guests have email. The other 1% will get a phone call from us to save the date. We will be doing physical invitations later, with online RSVPs (anyone who doesn't have internet/computer access can call us to RSVP).

We were all set with this plan, and then we went to our friend's house over the weekend and in her kitchen it struck me that I really liked seeing the save-the-dates from other weddings on her fridge. Some were magnets, some postcards that were pinned with a magnet. This friend is the kind that typically saves things like that. I usually keep it on the fridge until after the event, or after I get the invite and then recycle it. I will save invitations from past weddings. Being that I hadn't thought to consider what our guests might prefer, now I am torn. We have really been trying to make decisions based on what we want for our wedding and what we can afford, and we could afford to easily get save-the-date postcards printed and sent through the mail.

So - what do you prefer? Keeping in mind these are just save-the-dates and not the actual invitation, is a post card or magnet better than an email?

THANK YOU!

VWL Mom
08-02-2016, 10:36 AM
I voted postcard, just my preference. You could always print them at home and save a few dollars that way. Avery has some great templates.

As far as the RSVP, you may want to reconsider that depending on the size of your wedding. I had close to 300 and those little cards sure help out when trying to arrange seating. Many times they are included with the invitation so the only added cost would be the postage.

I'm all for emails, online rsvp, etc but not for special events. This is your wedding, not a business meeting. Just my :twocents:

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-02-2016, 12:13 PM
I just voted for email. Friends are getting married this fall, and we just got their email "save the date" a couple of days ago. It was all we needed, we know the date, we've added it to the calendars.

I am looking forward to the "real" invitation though ... I hate it when those are sent via email too.

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-02-2016, 12:25 PM
If you are doing real invitations, I would say email on save the dates

Kairi_7378
08-02-2016, 06:52 PM
I would rather spend money on items for things for the actual ceremony and wedding than on magnets. I think that a simple save the date e mail is sufficient. If you have guests without e mail, you may want to consider buying some stationary and mailing a letter to convey the information to them.

deedee73
08-02-2016, 07:21 PM
I prefer the post card save the date cards. I have actually used photo cards for past parties and also smaller magnets that we made ourselves.

Have you considered going onto a site such as etsy and having a custom print made then taking that to the local Walmart, Sams, Walgreens, etc and have them printed? This past year we did 4x6 cards that I paid under $10 for a custom artwork then 9 or 10 cents per print at walgteens. I purchased envelopes at Walmart and off they went. Save the date cards (100 cost me literally under $25) and they looked awesome). Many people still have them up on their fridge - I have actually seen 3 just this past week. PM me if you would like to see what our party one looked like or if you need more info.

DizneyRox
08-02-2016, 07:39 PM
Always physical...

I hate how impersonal everything is getting. Kids just texting instead of talking, etc. I don't even bother responding to eVites, if they are too busy to do a proper invite, I'm too busy to respond. I don't subscribe to things like online check-in. I'd rather a longer process with maybe some back and forth with an actual person. It's just part of the process.

Cinderelley
08-18-2016, 05:04 AM
How formal is your wedding? If it is very, very casual, email would probably be ok. If not, physical save the date cards would probably be better.

PirateLover
09-15-2016, 09:21 PM
A little late to respond but I LOVE magnet save the dates- I'm one of those who keeps them on my fridge. Especially if it includes a pic of the couple. Makes me smile...and helps me to remember when to send an anniversary card ;)

BriarRose0708
09-19-2016, 08:33 AM
Thanks for all the responses, everyone. I think we are going physical post cards because we can get a great deal through Vista Print!