PDA

View Full Version : Update on my son with ITP/chemo.

Terra
07-25-2016, 03:19 PM
Discouraged & heartbroken. After a visit with the hematologist and his latest CBC, the Doctor is pretty certain that he is not responding favorable to the chemo :/ He said that usually if it's going to work, you will see a small rise in the platelets during the first 4 weeks.
Unfortunately David's platelets were 50K during his last round, and have steadily fallen over the last 4 weeks. Now they are at 24K, near critical-low level :( He hasn't had one rise since his chemo completion. Though the doctor did say that it can take up to 12 weeks, however statistically the odds are not in his favor.
We can either do another round of chemo, or go onto a different treatment. But of course the "higher" you go, the more severe and often lasting side effects there are.
We don't really want him to go through chemo again. So the hematologist said that we can treat with IVIG as needed.
The hard part is that basically he still can't do the "full fledged" kiddo thing.
Who knew over a year ago that this would still be going on.
This is all so draining on him, on me, on the family. Combined it with his ASD, SPD, and anxiety and.....I don't know. I'm just weary.

MNNHFLTX
07-25-2016, 04:10 PM
I'm so sorry for what you and your son are going through, Terra. As a nurse, I know that hematologic disorders are so difficult to manage. I can only imagine how heartbreaking this is for you. I will be praying that you find the right treatment to put the ITP into remission.

VWL Mom
07-25-2016, 04:50 PM
I'm so sorry, keeping your son and family in my prayers.

TheSorcererofFantasia
07-25-2016, 04:59 PM
I am so sorry to hear that, you, you son and family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

faline
07-25-2016, 06:23 PM
So sorry to hear. I was so hoping you would have better news to share.

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-25-2016, 10:02 PM
I am so sorry. When I saw the threat title, I was so hoping that it was a good update. Sending prayers, and strength for you - I hope they find the right combination of treatment soon!

deedee73
07-25-2016, 11:13 PM
Oh Terra - I so wish you would have had better news to share with us. I have been thinking and praying for you and your son as well as the whole family. I definitely would move on to a different treatment. I hear your words and I cannot even fathom whatvyou are going through each & every day. Just remember you have all of us here to lean on and while we are not next door we are literally a text away. You have the strength to do this and so does he. Have faith even though it is beyond difficult on most days. I am sending more good thoughts and prayers for you all.

cer
07-26-2016, 08:31 AM
Lifting your family in prayer. So sorry that y'all aren't getting the hoped-for results right now.

hoop de do
07-26-2016, 09:06 AM
Thoughts and prayers from PA. Stay positive.
:pixie::pixie:

Arielfan98
07-26-2016, 09:19 AM
I'm so sorry! I'll be thinking of you today, Terra! I wish you and your family all the best. Here's some pixie dust! :pixie::pixie::pixie:

Hammer
07-26-2016, 09:48 AM
Terra, I am so sorry to hear that the treatment did not help improve his condition. Will keep you all in my prayers.

Terra
07-26-2016, 11:22 AM
Thank you all so much.

Strmchsr
07-26-2016, 01:27 PM
I'm so sorry for your struggle. You and your family remain in my thoughts and prayers.

SBETigg
07-26-2016, 09:15 PM
So very sorry. I can only imagine how hard this has been on you all. I'll continue to send all my best wishes your way and hope for some positive news for you. What a little trouper he must be to go through so much.

BrerGnat
07-26-2016, 09:22 PM
Very sorry to hear such discouraging news. I can't imagine how difficult this must be on you all. As if ASD and its related issues aren't enough...I know THOSE struggles, and I can't fathom having to add health problems on top of it.

You are stronger than you think, though, and you WILL get through this. Stay positive for your son and I hope he is able to get back to being a kid again very soon.