PDA

View Full Version : Best moderate w/ 5 year old?

jaredkari
07-09-2016, 09:58 PM
Next summer we are going to take our oldest son for his first WDW trip. We are thinking of going with a moderate what do you all think is the best moderate for young kids and why?

BrerGnat
07-09-2016, 10:41 PM
Either Caribbean Beach or Port Orleans French Quarter (which just updated its pool area and added a neat area for young kids). Caribbean Beach has a great, fun pool area as well and it's very bright and colorful. My sister recently stayed there with my 5 year old nephew and he loved it!

Pirate Granny
07-10-2016, 06:37 PM
The Caribbean Beach has pirate rooms ��

JoDisney
07-10-2016, 09:05 PM
The Caribbean Beach pirate rooms are only full size beds not queen. The pirate rooms are far from food court for small children. CBR is a large resort.

Port Orleans French Quarter is a small resort. It has a new pool splash area for kids. However, be aware that the food court is being renovated. It will have a temporary food area with llimited items. They will, however, offer refillable mug machine and tranportation to Riverside food court.

BrerGnat
07-10-2016, 09:11 PM
The Caribbean Beach pirate rooms are only full size beds not queen. The pirate rooms are far from food court for small children. CBR is a large resort.

Port Orleans French Quarter is a small resort. It has a new pool splash area for kids. However, be aware that the food court is being renovated. It will have a temporary food area with llimited items. They will, however, offer refillable mug machine and tranportation to Riverside food court.

They sound like they are planning a trip for Summer 2017. The food court renovation will be completed way before that.

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-10-2016, 10:10 PM
I'd vote for POFQ. I love that it is a small resort, to limit the walking, the slide is perfect (not too big, but still pretty cool) and they have just installed a new kids water play area. There is also a shaded play structure.

I'd think about paying extra for a "pool view" room, so you're close to all of the action.

Enjoy planning your trip!

mechanic
07-10-2016, 11:05 PM
Animal kingdom lodge has discounts that bring it close to moderate pricing at times. Great for kids and adults.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
07-11-2016, 10:56 AM
Granted I haven't seen the new pool at POFQ, but the Old Man Island pool over at Port Orleans Riverside, particularly with that slide, hands down beat the previous pool at FQ. 5 year old boy would love that slide over a splash pad any day. Plus Riverside has a better Food Court and better options for adults as well.

BrerGnat
07-11-2016, 12:05 PM
Granted I haven't seen the new pool at POFQ, but the Old Man Island pool over at Port Orleans Riverside, particularly with that slide, hands down beat the previous pool at FQ. 5 year old boy would love that slide over a splash pad any day. Plus Riverside has a better Food Court and better options for adults as well.

That's a pretty broad assumption. Many 5 year olds are not quite ready for slides and prefer splash pads. That has been my personal experience with my own kids as well as the young nieces and nephews in my family and circle of friends. Of course there are plenty of daring 5 year olds, but I would argue the majority are not. My own kids LOVE slides now (10 and 12) but at 5, they were very timid and loved the splash pads with small slides much more.

Ol Man Island is okay, but it is kind of plain at this point, compared to all the other moderate resort pool areas.

BrerGnat
07-11-2016, 12:31 PM

If you Google Image search "Port Orleans French Quarter Pool Area", you will find lots of pictures of the new pool area. It really looks great! Probably the best of all the moderates at this point for young kids.

mandaep
07-13-2016, 06:14 AM
Let me just echo the POFQ. We have stayed at CBR and POFQ is our home. We took our 4&6 yo (both turned 4&6 while we were there) and my 6yo son loved it. He is begging us to go back to 'the same hotel with the same room and the same pool'. He loved the new splash area and it's designed for that age range especially I feel like. Anther thing is that the walks are short to the food court
From where ever you are. It's a laid back resott and was not overwhelming which I thought was really important. Every resort has a play area but the one is close walking distance to food court and pool at FQ.

Angelgirl65
07-14-2016, 05:48 AM
Coronado Springs has a great pool area and playground. Also the arcade is located at the main pool. Very nice resort for all ages

#1donaldfan
07-14-2016, 11:44 AM
Either Port Orlean's will be perfect.

lawgirl
09-05-2016, 09:25 AM
We took our 5 and 3 YO (neither could swim at the time) to Caribbean Beach last summer and they both loved it. We don't go to the beach very much (except Hawaii) and they both thought we were at the beach- they loved the sandy areas where they could take their buckets and dig and play. And the playground was perfect for them. They loved it. And the pirate ship splash pad area...they were in heaven! We probably should have just skipped the parks...the loved that kids pool area so much. I was impressed. It definitely was right up there with Aulani. They both liked the food court, and how it feels like a colorful village. And little things, like the coloring table in the gift shop. I would go back in a heartbeat. But I'll have to say, if you can find a good deal, the AKL is just amazing. Hands down my favorite. The kids pool area at Kidani is just amazing. For a 5YO its like a water park. We love AKL!

brownie
09-05-2016, 10:40 AM
With a 5 year old, I'd go with French Quarter. You can still get over to Riverside for meals if you want to.

Disney Doll
09-05-2016, 11:48 AM
I second Caribbean Beach. The theme is very colorful and fun. The pool is awesome for kids and it's a very fast friendly atmosphere.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk