PDA

View Full Version : Long time, no see, and a Disney burnout feeling

SpecJoe Magic
06-27-2016, 04:38 AM
It's been a long time since I've posted here. Some of you may even remember me. Anyway, I just got back from a wonderful WDW visit while staying at Fort Wilderness for the first time ever. Everything went great, and I had a blast, but after having been back home for a few days, I'm having a feeling that I've never had about WDW before. As much as I enjoyed my trip, I'm feeling a little less enthusiastic about Disney than I normally do. I realize part of it is possibly just post-Disney blues, but I always have that feeling and this time it's something else.

I've been going to WDW since 1981 about once a year, on average, and WDW is like a second home to me, but there is a sense that it has become too familiar. Don't get me wrong, I plan on going back eventually, but when I think about how much it costs and how there are numerous other places that I want to experience, I get the feeling that I shouldn't go as frequently as I usually do. I mean, my 5-year old daughter has been 4 times with me already, and she still enjoys it, but I get the sense that there are a lot of other places she would enjoy just as much.

It's a weird feeling to be internally conflicted about my feelings for WDW. On the one hand, it's still my favorite place to visit, but on the hand, a change of pace sounds appealing to me right now. That being said, I don't know how I'll feel come next year. Have you ever felt that way? If so, what did you do? What are your thoughts about this situation?

Terra
06-27-2016, 06:05 AM
I do remember you! Welcome back SpecJoe! Glad to hear you had a great trip.
I have to be honest, personally I haven't had Disney burnout, BUT living local and I can come and go, so there's not that pressure to see, do, and cram everything into a week or two. I can only imagine that this would make things much more intense!!

Maybe alternate years? Do something different next year, see something different.
I know for us on the rare occasion that we get to vacation it does seem like we are more "over it" and exhausted by the time we get home because we really tried to do so much since it doesn't happen often.

faline
06-27-2016, 07:17 AM
I'd just plan trips to other places until you feel "ready" for Disney again. Glad your most recent trip was fun. We stayed in Fort Wilderness on our first trip and it still feels like my Disney "home"!!

luvdiznee
06-27-2016, 07:46 AM
I've experienced that burn out. 15 times in 10 years will do that I guess. We've been doing vacations to places like NYC, Vegas and the Grand Canyon. We've done road trips to multiple cities like PA, DC and NJ. We just got back from a road trip to Chicago and MN. And we've even done a few Caribbean Cruises.

I think for us it came down to the kids getting older and we all wanted to try other things. We even included Universal Studios in our last few Disney trips to make it different.

But that is certainly not to say we are done with Disney because we are going back in November. Yeah it's been a while for us too.

PopPhan
06-27-2016, 08:05 AM
Welcome back, Joe. I can fully understand your feeling. I was getting that way myself, so I did something different....I went to DisneyLAND this past December. A little more expensive, because of the cross-country flights and staying at Paradise Pier (could have saved quite a bit using "Good Neighbor" hotels,) but it was worth it to me.

Try something new for a year or so and see if you are drawn back. Maybe you won't be, but there is so much coming in the next couple years that I bet you will be. :mickey:

conorsmom2000
06-27-2016, 08:40 PM
I do remember you - though I'm also recently back after a crazy long time. :) For us it was a more financial why we had to take a break from Disney - we haven't been in 10 years. But it's funny - while my son, now 16, can't wait to go back, he also loves Washington DC, Williamsburg, etc. a whole bunch of places we might not have gone to if we could always swing Disney. I kind of dread that our next trip, finally, will be during Easter week because of his school, but crowds or not, it will be nice to be back. :) :mickey:

brownie
06-27-2016, 09:06 PM
Of course I remember you, welcome back!

lawgirl
06-28-2016, 09:53 AM
I totally understand your point. I kinda am feeling the same way...and its so crazy expensive. And I hate having to plan our every single detail months before the trip...I really miss the spontaneity of the old days. Especially since I'm the only planner in the family. Its stressful and expensive. We still have loved every trip, and go every year, but I'm also looking at other options. I'd love to take my kids to the museums in Chicago, a train ride out west somewhere, Williamsburg. We also love going to the rocket center at Huntsville. There are so many places out there that we haven't been. And heck, its literally cheaper for us to go to Hawaii this summer than to go to Disney World. I'll always love it, but I think its also good to explore other options too!

Wayne
06-28-2016, 06:51 PM
Our last visit to WDW was in 2004 after annual visits since 1978. As our daughter was growing up, we felt that there was so much outside of Disney that she needed to experience. We have not regretted the decision.

MNNHFLTX
06-28-2016, 07:11 PM
Hi and :welcome: back!

My family and I have always vacationed other places besides Disney World (or Disneyland). I love to get my occasional Disney fix, but cannot imagine going there on every vacation. In fact, with the changes Disney has instituted over the last few years (MME, FP+, yada, yada, yada), I am perfectly happy to take an extended break at the present time. You're right--there's a lot of world to see out there that I'm sure you and your family would have a wonderful time no matter where you go!

SBETigg
06-28-2016, 11:38 PM
Sounds like you would benefit from some time away from Disney exploring other vacation spots. You might start to miss it after some time off and want to go back eventually, but for now trust your instincts. And enjoy trying new things!

weswerx
07-11-2016, 05:45 PM
I was just wondering about you...glad to see you back. I'm feeling the same way at the moment, since I haven't been there since 2009...it's time to go back and I am currently planning a trip, but it does feel different though. I haven't even been on Intercot as much as I once was.

Goofy4TheWorld
07-11-2016, 06:02 PM
Well hello neighbor and fellow Golden Eagle! I have been wondering about you and even checked the Herald looking for your obituary a few times! ;)

Cost are exploding at Disney, that is for sure. I remember posting once how I didn't see how Disney does it with such cheap admission costs. Now days the upfront costs of room and tickets is bad enough, and the nickel and diming combined with the lackluster maintenance makes it exponentially worse.

MouseHouser
07-24-2016, 08:57 AM
Know what you mean. The place gets small after years of visits, and that can sap a bit of the magic. But, the experience and interacting with the cast members is unique every time. And I find going with others you've never visited with helps keep it fresh.

At the end of the day, it's a venue to be shared with family and friends, and especially kids. I try not to place too much of the responsibility for my good time on the Mouse. That can set you up for a let down.

That said, I try hard to visit new places, rather than too often returning to the old faithfuls. It's a big world. But for me, Disney has a fantastic track record of delivering a good time.