PDA

View Full Version : Keys to the Kingdom Tour - is it worth it?

Genie1953
05-31-2016, 10:15 PM
Looking for opinions of the Keys to the Kingdom Tour at Magic Kingdom. We are thinking of doing it in November but want to get everyone's thoughts on the experience.

Fangorn
05-31-2016, 11:21 PM
We did it in October 2014 and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The biggest downside for us was that that day was so stinking hot (and humid) that walking around even in the morning was extremely uncomfortable. Our tour guide was very good and the information shared was not just the usual stuff we already knew. We did go backstage, including into the Utilidors, which was pretty cool. During the tour, we had a special tour on the Jungle Cruise - the Skipper got to sit back and our tour guide took over and explained a whole lot of stuff about the JC instead of the normal "cruise" (although we still got to experience the "back side of water"). We also had a ride on the Haunted Mansion, after a pretty thorough explanation of the history and building of the attraction.

Overall, we felt it was well worth the time and money, and plan on doing it again sometime (when it's cooler, hopefully).

All that said, we actually enjoyed the Undiscovered Future World tour more - but that tour guide was absolutely incredible. But i would not hesitate to do KTTK.

Steve

brad192
06-01-2016, 12:21 AM
You are willing to let go of some of the "Magic".

I took the tour a few years ago, and was completely satisfied. You get a great new perspective of what it takes to produce the "magic" that all park guests see during their visit. The special insight into how and why things were done is fantastic! Lunch isn't bad also! :eat: Highlights include:

"Special" rides on attractions (mine were Jungle Cruise and Haunted Mansion).

Backstage views of several attractions.

Utilidors! (Actually, a lot less impressive than I thought it would be.)

VIP status while on the tour. ("Let them eat cake"). :prince:

One thing to remember - Your guides will answer questions differently depending on whether they are "onstage" or "backstage". Apparantly Disney rules. So be sure to ask your critical questions twice. ;)

The more questions you ask, the more you'll get out of the tour, so I'd suggest having a list ready!

Bottom line, well worth the the time.

BTW, Backstage Magic Tour amps this up to 3 parks. Again, totally worth iot.

BugeyedMuggy
06-01-2016, 12:38 PM
Absolutely! I never realized how much you miss trying to get thru the crowds. MK is still not my favorite park but I have a new appreciation for all the meaning put into the park.

baldburke
06-01-2016, 12:40 PM
Another vote for the tour! If you've been to WDW at least a half dozen times like yourself then it is a whole new way to experience the MK. The guides are great and you learn some fun stuff along the way. We had never eaten at The Harbour House so that was good. It was, like any other Disney day, a full trip with lots to absorb. After the tour we spent some extra time at the pool just to re-energize. Good luck!

GrumpySue
06-03-2016, 10:15 AM
Beware, we just did the Backstage Magic Tour last month and while it states that you visit all 4 parks, we only visited Epcot and Magic Kingdom. They said with all the construction in Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom they dropped them from the tour. It was an expensive tour and I was disappointed that I was not told this when booking it. I have done this tour before around 10 years ago and it was fantastic. I have done almost every tour they have over the years, but I would not pay for another one until all the construction is done.

Isabella
06-03-2016, 02:02 PM
One of the great tings about each tour is the Microphone the Tour Guide speaks into that goes directly to an earpiece that each person wears. As others have said, there is a TON of information and depending on where you are standing it can be hard to hear without these handy devices.

The tour was COMPLETELY worth every penny, you're immersed in the magic from beginning to end!

I also have to say how accommodating they are as well. We were scheduled for a morning, early in our trip, but I got extremely sick and didn't even get out of bed for 2 days. I sent my husband on to go on the tour, no need for him to miss the fun. When he got there, they were able to reschedule our tour for a later date in our trip, so I didn't have to miss it at all!!!

You will be so glad that you decided to do this! I have my name tag and pin hanging where I see them on a daily basis and I sigh a fond happy memory sigh each time I see them!

MrPeetrie
06-05-2016, 04:13 PM
We did this about 10 years ago, and I definitely have mixed thoughts on this. For one, as a Disney Lover, it was amazing to see how much thought goes into even the smallest detail. Nothing "On Stage" is by accident. Everything is well thought and implemented. It gives the tour-goer much more appreciation of how much is going on behind the scenes. We saw the utilidors. We visited where they store the floats. And much more.

But an earlier poster is right -- you definitely have some of the "Magic" removed after the tour. For example, one thing I remember was a white line that delineated "On Stage" from "Off." Our tour guide told us as soon as Cast Members (from the parade) cross that line, clothes come off and modesty goes out the window in favor of "cooling down." You want to believe you're in this "Fantasy World," where Goofy and Mickey actually live, and that "Illusion" is removed.

In conclusion: I did it once, but wouldn't do it again.