PDA

View Full Version : Alamo Inn - Review

NewDVCowner
05-11-2016, 12:33 PM
My sisters and I stayed at the Alamo Inn on Katela over the Tinkerbell race weekend. We were there for two nights total and I wanted to give a brief review of the hotel.

Location – The hotel is a LONG walk to and from the parks. I never measured it by I would guess that it’s about a mile going past Paradise Pier hotel, through Downtown Disney and to the park gate. (Add to that the 10k and half marathon that we did, it really was too much.) We decided that we were going to walk from the hotel each day. If we hadn’t been doing the runs then it might have been fine – a long walk but doable. However, in the height of summer heat or with children along, this would probably be too much.

There are a couple of restaurants that are very close to this hotel – a Coco’s and a Tilly’s (?). We didn’t stop in either of them but they were within easy walking distance (on the way to the park) and would be a good option for food.

Parking – the hotel has free onsite parking and while it didn’t seem like there was a huge amount of it there seemed to always be spaces available.

Upkeep – This hotel is pretty run down. We checked in and they assigned us a room, we got there and there were repair people in that room so they gave us a second room – that room’s toilet didn’t flush. Our third room was fine, however needed some updates. The toilet seat was chipped and looked pretty beat up, the cabinetry was pretty old with a handle missing from one of the drawers and the second drawer was just broken. The room had one of those old ‘box like’ televisions and it had a mini fridge and microwave (that were not plugged in) that were at least twenty years old. It does seems like the hotel was working on some updates. The beds and bedding seemed pretty new and they had a laminate floor down which seemed pretty new and gave the impression that things were very clean.

The room was very spacious, though, with two queen beds, and a seating area with two comfy chairs and an ottoman and desk with still a good amount of room to move around in.

Overall review – honestly I probably wouldn’t stay here again. There are other hotels that are closer to the parks, or are close to the Disney parking lots, that I’d prefer to stay on, such as the Cortona (though I haven’t been there in a few years). The walk to and from the parks got very hard and I would imagine would be even worse in the summer heat or when it was raining and the hotel itself was nothing special. The fact that they needed to move us twice seems to indicate that they have some maintenance issues that they need to address and the fact that the room we did end up in had some very dated parts to it just gave the impression of being run down, though the solid surface floors did make up for that a lot.