PDA

View Full Version : DVC Point Rental

wdwjenn
05-08-2016, 07:50 AM
At the beginning stages of planning an early December 2017 trip!! :santa:
We are thinking of renting DVC points at Poly or Grand. We would be looking at getting 2 studios.
I have never rented points and not quite sure how it all works?? How far in advance would we have to begin our search? I was thinking 8 months out. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!:mickey:

WiltonJohn
05-08-2016, 11:55 AM
From my experiences, I think that to get the best availability possibility for the resort you want, you want to book at 11 months out. That is when people with that as a "home resort" get their access to book the place. Popular places and times (like December, I bet) book up quickly.

Between 11 months out to 7 months out.... only those who have it as their "home resort" can still make any bookings there. So at 8 months.... you gain no advantage and only disadvantage.

At 7 months out, any DVC member can book into any resort, not just their "home". So more people open up to possibly rent from. And that is an advantage. But that is only useful if there are still DVC rooms left after the 11 month people have had a few months to make reservations already.

So shoot for the 11 month mark from the first day you plan to be there.

best,

.....................john

Fangorn
05-08-2016, 06:58 PM
If you truly want VGF, and need two studios, then you will need to have your dates cast in concrete and have the rental plans formalized either through a broker like the Timeshare Store or a private party before you hit the 11 month date of your trip. That way the reservation can be made as soon as the 11 month window hits for your dates. VGF go almost immediately and your odds of getting 2 studios will only make things more difficult. There are less than 50 studios at VGF.

Poly is a slightly different story. Other than the 20 bungalows, all the rooms are studios, and there are 360 of those. I own at the Poly and the 7 month window is currently sitting at Dec 8. As I'm writing this, there is no availability at the Poly - either lake view or standard view - prior to Dec 9, 2016. Between 7 and 11 months, availability is pretty wide open except for marathon weekend. I've actually been watching availability for the past 4 months (purely out of curiosity) and it's been very easy to tell from the availability calendar where that 7 month window is - every day, the next day goes dark on the availability calendar. So while you won't need to make those Poly reservations at the opening bell at exactly the 11 month mark, I'd still recommend not waiting too much past it. I have seen random days (Fridays and Saturdays mostly) go dark and the first week of December got spotty pretty early on. Needing 2 studios will only make things more difficult. A week stay at the Poly during the first 2 weeks of Dec will take 118 points per studio for a standard view and 148 points per studio for a lake view.

Steve

mrte62
06-01-2016, 07:11 PM
We just rented points for the first time as well. April 26 to May 6, 2017. Put our request for a Beach Club Studio a day or two prior to the 11 months date. Nothing was available (on the 11 month window opening) so I asked what was. Secured a Boardwalk Studio (there were studios available most other resorts.) Whole process took less than 24 hours. Very pleased with the service and the price.