PDA

View Full Version : Disney After Hours not selling well

Speedy1998
05-03-2016, 12:35 PM
I just read that Disney after Hours is not selling well, and that Disney is now offering the tickets at $75 for DVC members and Annual Pass holders.

I also saw that on the first two nights were so undersold that Disney was giving tickets away to Resort Guest.

Hmmm... Who would have ever guessed that people would not be willing to pay more than a 1 day ticket, for less time in the park in the middle of the night?

epceddie
05-03-2016, 01:41 PM
Glad to see that people don't always drink the Disney Kool Aid.

taleasoldastime
05-03-2016, 02:46 PM
I actually am surprised.
While I would never buy this, I was sure that some people who didn't want to put in the extra effort to wake up early and were just willing to throw around money to get easy access to rides would buy into it. I thought there would be enough of those people for Disney to end up selling these pretty well.

DisneyDINK
05-03-2016, 04:12 PM
I am going to Universal tomorrow, wasn't even going to go to WDW, until I got LUCKY and saw this.

Of course it isn't selling! When did they announce it, March?! Who plans their trip 2 months out? The target audience becomes locals and those already staying on property.

I have seen some vlogs online and I LOVE this idea and I CAN'T WAIT for Thursday night. Now I have 2.5 days at Universal and for $150 I get to hit the MK from 7-10pm then get it all to myself from 10-1:00! YES!

Now, if I wasn't travelling alone; if I was with my family, no way. $150 per person on top of a Disney vacation?! Keep the kids up until 2:00+?! Yeah, right! Good luck making that rope drop or character breakfast the next morning you had to book 180+ days out!

Schedule this 9 months out, promote it properly and it sells out. It is a win/win IMHO: It happens after the park would have closed anyway. If you are arguing that from 7-10 the other guests will be put out by the extra guests, maybe, but barely. An extra 3,000 barely moves the needle at the MK. Plus they will almost definitely not be there for the rope drop that morning.

I haven't done a trip report for a few years, but I think I will for this. I just hope they keep it going.

VWL Mom
05-03-2016, 05:28 PM
I'll be looking forward to your trip report, we have tickets for May 19th. I agree with you, they announced the dates too close. I too think this would be great if marketed properly especially during the summer months. Enjoy!

Basket Mommy
05-03-2016, 06:19 PM
We just left Disney today after checking in on April 29th. Had that planned since February, just me and hubby. When I found out about After Hours in March, I checked our dates. April 28th was still available, but being DVC it would've been a hassle to try and get an extra night somewhere. Hubs doesn't like split stays. But had we known in advance of booking our room, we would've done it, and paid full price (and demanded a refund when they announced half price tix for AP and DVC, since we're both!)

John
05-03-2016, 11:19 PM
150 bucks is too much. 75 and it becomes something I might think about. We talk about this on the next podcast BTW.

cer
05-04-2016, 08:17 PM
We talk about this on the next podcast BTW.

Can't wait!

The Dad
05-09-2016, 09:30 PM
"Disney After Hours"? I will submit that I am an unabashed "free market capitalist".......However, this latest money grab by Disney is absolutely shameful...it is simply beyond the pale! The WDW experience has been on a downward spiral for many years now (just considering the unaddressed maintenance issues) and they have the audacity to foist this fiasco off on the public? There is simply no value to be had anymore....enough said!

drosenbe
05-10-2016, 08:54 AM
Back in the day, probably about 20 years ago, they had a similar promotion, but it was only $15 for an extra 2-3 hours in the park (1 day tickets were probably $50 back then). They promoted that only 10k tickets would be sold, so that the park would essentially be empty. That seemed like a nice deal, but the current pricing structure is outrageous.

I am glad that people are not buying it.

mydisneygirls
05-10-2016, 11:11 AM
I just looked at the calendar to see what days this "special" event is taking place. One is this Thursday the 12th and the next one is the 19th. I did notice that the third one they had schedule on a weekend at the end of May is no more! I hope that there will be reports from the media on how "well" it goes.

VWL Mom
05-10-2016, 11:46 AM
I just looked at the calendar to see what days this "special" event is taking place. One is this Thursday the 12th and the next one is the 19th. I did notice that the third one they had schedule on a weekend at the end of May is no more! I hope that there will be reports from the media on how "well" it goes.

There never was an end of the month date

Tickets go on sale April 6th for select dates in April and May only. Dates of the events are April 14th, 21st, 28th, and May 5th, 8th, 12th, & 19th. Tickets are $149 plus tax each for children or adults. At that price, we imagine space is very, very limited and lines should be almost non-existent.

SurferStitch
05-10-2016, 11:58 AM
If they offer the $75 tickets to AP holders in October, we will probably do it. Otherwise, no thanks.

vicster
05-11-2016, 12:10 PM
I'm surprised Disney hasn't started charging a resort fee...that may be next.

ChipNDale79
05-11-2016, 04:18 PM
I'm surprised Disney hasn't started charging a resort fee...that may be next.

Apparently a survey went out asking that very question, if guest would be willing to pay it.

magicman
05-11-2016, 04:44 PM
Apparently a survey went out asking that very question, if guest would be willing to pay it.

I think these surveys aren't really to collect data and gauge willingness to pay for it. (After all, who is going to answer the survey with an excited, "Yeesss. I would love to pay a resort fee!") I think Disney uses it as part of their communication strategy. So now when they decide to initiate a resort fee, it will not be a shock as the trial balloon has already been floated.

rwdavis2
05-17-2016, 08:30 AM
You have the ability to di up to 26 attractions with no wait. Even with double the attendance there will be little to no lines. If one's time is limited while in Orlando this is the way to go. The average number of attractions for a guest is 10 a day.

disney daddy
07-11-2016, 08:33 PM
I respect all of your opinions. After all, everyone's entitled to an opinion. What I don't understand is that if people are willing to pay, why does anyone care? Is it the fear of missing out?

Why would anyone be glad that people aren't drinking the kool-aid or that people aren't buying it? Jealousy? If you don't like the value that you get from WDW, stop going.

WDW is a world class vacation destination. It is a company with stockholders. As much as we'd all like for it to be less expensive, no one is forcing you to go. Nor is Disney foisting a fiasco. That's laughable. Nice use of the word "foist" though.