PDA

View Full Version : runDisney Virtual Races

Lacy
04-30-2016, 05:01 PM
What does everyone think about the announcement from runDisney that they will be doing the Virtual Running Shorts Series?

I can't decide if I should be happy about this announcement and essentially pay to get the cute Mickey medals for runs I would already being doing at home or if I should be annoyed that they just jumped on the virtual race bandwagon without providing anything to make this better than another virtual race.

I actually really enjoyed the PiDay 5K virtual race and signed up for another one - part of what I liked about the PiDay event was seeing everyone post their pie pictures and times as well as having the medal at home to put on right after the race for a sense of accomplishment much like a "real" race. The runDisney site said that runners will receive a finisher's medal within 30 days of the race completion.

And some of the discussion on the runDisney facebook site was that they are billing it as supporting the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) but actually the only money that goes to the LLS is extra donations pledged when signing up and none of the entry fee goes to the organization.

Thoughts?

ibelieveindisneymagic
04-30-2016, 09:08 PM
I'm wavering on this. We've done a couple of the virtual races, and like the motivation (we leave the "stuff" in the bag until we're done), and like seeing everyone's pictures.

But, that is pretty darn expensive - especially for the full series! It would be cool if there was a chat room/training info/etc. to go along with it.