PDA

View Full Version : Grand Floridian Resort

KAT1811
04-27-2016, 09:59 AM
We are planning on spending a week at the Grand Floridian this summer for my 40th birthday. :party: We have stayed at almost all of the other resorts on property but this will be our first stay at the Grand Floridian. We have a lagoon view room booked. Any personal experiences or suggestions to make this trip extra special would be greatly appreciated. :cloud9: We are a party of 5 my DH, DD (11), DD (9), and DS (7).

faline
04-27-2016, 10:02 AM
What fun!!

I can only suggest that you make time in your schedule to truly enjoy the resort. Since you are right there, you might like scheduling tea - if not for for your whole family - perhaps for you and your daughters. It's a great experience!!

SurferStitch
04-27-2016, 01:12 PM
You'll have a wonderful time!!

DH and I are spending our 20th wedding anniversary there this October! We stayed there for our honeymoon, and wanted to celebrate our 20th where it all began. We also booked a lagoon view room and got a fantastic deal.

Definitely take time to enjoy the resort. Both pools are wonderful. We also love spending time in the lobby listening to the orchestra and the pianist at night. There are some very nice shops in the main building, so take time to explore those.

We are dining at all of the signature restaurants on this trip... Narcoossee's, Victoria & Albert's and Citricos. We also love walking over to the Polynesian for meals as well.

We may book a spa visit as well. The spa at the GF is wonderful!!

Lindsey
04-27-2016, 02:10 PM
Definitely take the time for tea! That is something that my husband and I have always enjoyed at GF. Also, when we stay at GF we use the monorail to get to MK, but we always take the boat back to the resort. It's a nice little ride, and rather pretty at night. :mickey:

BrerGnat
04-27-2016, 02:12 PM
I'm also staying here for the first time in August with my kids for four nights. Got a lagoon view room 40% off so couldn't pass it up! Looking forward to a new resort. Kids want to do marshmallow roasting at the firepit and rent a boat from the marina.

Catzle
05-23-2016, 08:34 PM
Just got back from the Grand and we loved it. We really enjoyed the regular pool without the slide. Very large so you could actually enjoy the pool. They let you have your drink in the pool too. Loved listening to the band in the main building. The grounds were peaceful and never felt crowded. We spent a lot of time at the resort and I highly recommend it.

Sylvia
05-23-2016, 11:38 PM
Don't overlook the Grand Floridian Café, if you would like to eat a casual meal at the resort, but want more choices than Captain Cook's. It's a very nice, relaxing, family friendly TS restaurant, and has become one of our favorites over the years.:eat:

Second the suggestion about enjoying the band and the pianist. One of my favorite things, is to grab a nice comfortable chair and read a nice book or plan the rest of my vacation, while listening to the live entertainment.:cloud9:

DisneyDINK
05-24-2016, 11:43 AM
No mention of the Senses Spa yet. I prefer the Senses at the SSR, probably the only thing I liked about staying there, but the one at the GF is really good too. DW and I booked a couples massage and a pedicure there a couple of years ago. If your budget allows it I highly recommend it. I like to book a massage at the end of the trip about 3-4 hours before (ME) departure, especially if you are leaving late/after checkout time. I pack a change of clothes in a day bag and store it at the spa. Once you have a treatment you have access for the day. You can even go early before your appointment and drop off a bag if you want. Later, you can use the sauna, whirlpool and very well appointed shower facilities before your flight. Then I have a drink and listen to the orchestra for 30+ minutes while enjoying a refreshing beverage while I wait for transportation to MCO. It makes the end of the trip super-relaxing.

Ditto on using monorail to MK and boat back.

I prefer the menu at Citrico's to Narcoosse's, but they are both good and Narcoosse's is a great place to watch the fireworks.

Hammer
05-24-2016, 01:52 PM
I love the Grand Floridian :cloud9: ! I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but I recommend renting a cabana if money allows. I have rented a cabana twice, both times for 1/2 day, and it is such a relaxing way to spend a few hours! There are couches to sit which are fully in the shade as well as 2 cushioned chaise loungers which are in the sun for sunbathing. In the covered area there is a TV, Bose radio, and a dorm size fridge filled with water and soda. They bring you a beautiful fruit platter once you have settled in. This is all included in the cabana rental fee. You also have a server assigned to your cabana where you can order food from a menu as well as alcoholic beverages for an additional charge.