PDA

View Full Version : Switching Resorts When 7-month window opens

DisneyFan1979
04-18-2016, 01:02 PM
I have a December 20-26th trip booked at my home resort (AKL). When the 7-month window opens in May I'd like to see if I can switch to a different resort. The question is what is the best way to do that? Check availability? Cancel existing reservation? Then quickly book new at new resort?

I have had a DVC membership for a few years now. I have switched resorts at the 7 month window once. It was only my second DVC trip and I had a lot of points--so I made the new one (BWV) and then canceled the existing (AKL) afterward. This time I don't have spare points.

Thanks for any of your thoughts, experiences. :mickey:

sassafras
04-18-2016, 01:18 PM
I just switched my reservations last Friday at the 7 month mark. I checked online and had an idea of what I wanted and how many points it would take and what was available. Then I called Member Services as soon as they opened that morning and let them handle the actual change. That way I didn't mess it up which I was terrified of doing. It was quick and easy that way!

Basket Mommy
04-18-2016, 01:23 PM
I wouldn't try to do it online. Definitely call member services.

ThanxForNoticin
04-18-2016, 04:04 PM
Unless you have enough points to cover the existing reservations AND the new one without borrowing points, I would call the Membership number and let them handle the details for you. We have done this many times over the years, and always with a phone call. Good luck - hope it works out for you.

DisneyFan1979
04-19-2016, 03:20 PM
Thank you for your thoughts!

TheHD
04-19-2016, 06:56 PM
You can waitlist the second, third, and maybe more accommodations through DVCMember online and select a box or pull-down menu that states you allow them to cancel your existing reservation and book your waitlisted accommodations if your waitlist opens up. It also ensures you allow permission for them to borrow points if necessary. However, you would know before-hand if you need to borrow points based on your waitlist selection.

I currently have two waitlists myself, but I know it likely will not go through as I have a length of 10 days stay. I find this more convenient than calling Member Services since the online method should be viewing your waitlists real-time whereas, if you call, they will only check at that point in time.

VWL Mom
04-19-2016, 07:53 PM
You can waitlist the second, third, and maybe more accommodations through DVCMember online and select a box or pull-down menu that states you allow them to cancel your existing reservation and book your waitlisted accommodations if your waitlist opens up. It also ensures you allow permission for them to borrow points if necessary. However, you would know before-hand if you need to borrow points based on your waitlist selection.

I currently have two waitlists myself, but I know it likely will not go through as I have a length of 10 days stay. I find this more convenient than calling Member Services since the online method should be viewing your waitlists real-time whereas, if you call, they will only check at that point in time.

I believe the OP was referring to switching the resort at the 7 month mark, not waitlisting a sold out reservation. But, if the resort they want is sold out, waitlisting is the way to go and they could have 2 going at one time. Good luck with yours!

TheHD
04-20-2016, 03:00 PM
Yes, definitely. I was thinking if you waitlisted online and the availability was there, it would go through, but calling is more immediate of course when trying at the 7-month day.

DisneyFan1979
05-23-2016, 12:50 PM
I just wanted to close the loop on my initial question. My window opened last Friday. I went online at 8am and checked availability for the resorts I was interested in switching to: Beach Club and BoardWalk. Both showed availability for a 1-BR, including all categories at the BoardWalk so I decided to take the risk and cancel and re-book. Canceling online took about 60 seconds and I was able to re-book at our favorite resort, the Beach Club. Yay!

ThanxForNoticin
05-23-2016, 01:03 PM
Great news! Have a great trip!

deedee73
05-23-2016, 01:23 PM
So glad you were able to book the resort you really wanted. Have a great time with the planning.

andmomlau
05-26-2016, 08:55 PM
I'm really surprised that you found availability over Christmas....I've been trying since the seven month window to get Dec 4-8 and got 5-8 but only at OKW! Really frustrating! I've tried online several times a day since the seven month window.....

DisneyFan1979
05-31-2016, 11:52 AM
I'm really surprised that you found availability over Christmas....I've been trying since the seven month window to get Dec 4-8 and got 5-8 but only at OKW! Really frustrating! I've tried online several times a day since the seven month window.....

I feel I have been lucky at the seven-month window for December trips. Last yr I also got BCV for the wk of 12/14 and BWV the previous yr for the wk of 12/19. This year I did notice that all the studios were gone at the resorts I was interested in; it definitely seems that those go first.

I did notice that the resorts seem busier the first weeks of December and then everything seems to "pause" the week leading up to Christmas. It may have to do with the blackout dates on some APs. Just a guess though.