PDA

View Full Version : Popcorn help!

Lindslou
04-01-2016, 06:24 PM
Hey all,

Does anyone know what ingredients Disney uses to make their popcorn? Movie theater popcorn consistently makes me sick. I think it has to do with the fact that they use flavored oil rather than actual butter but I can't be sure. :confused: I've been afraid to try the popcorn at Disney because it doesn't seem worth the risk to get sick on vacation. But I'd really like to because it smells so good! An internet search came up empty. Does anyone happen to know if they use real butter on their popcorn? Or know how I can find out?

Thanks for the help!

VWL Mom
04-01-2016, 07:02 PM
What I was able to find is that they do not use butter but rather a popcorn oil that contains a coconut, corn, and canola blend (produced in a plant that produces peanut oil). Now this oil was used before they made the switch to Pop Secret. I would suggest you ask to see the ingredient list that is available at the cart.

Tink1
04-01-2016, 08:41 PM
Also, there is no topping put on the popcorn. (no melted butter or flavored popcorn oil)

Nanc

Lindslou
04-02-2016, 10:48 AM
What I was able to find is that they do not use butter but rather a popcorn oil that contains a coconut, corn, and canola blend (produced in a plant that produces peanut oil). Now this oil was used before they made the switch to Pop Secret. I would suggest you ask to see the ingredient list that is available at the cart.

Hmmm. Maybe I'll take your advice and will look at the ingredient list at the cart. That sounds safe enough though. Or maybe I'll bring some home next time and will try it when not on vacation to be safe. Thanks guys!

BrerGnat
04-02-2016, 05:39 PM
Is it just movie theater popcorn that makes you sick? Or popcorn in general? I ask because I can no longer eat popcorn and at first I thought it was a specific ingredient but then I figured out it was just popcorn in general. Makes me sad but it is so not worth the digestive upset I have to deal with. In fact, I have basically realized that I just don't do well with corn at all anymore. Even processed like Tortilla chips. My husband is noticing the same thing. It stinks.

Lindslou
04-03-2016, 10:21 AM
No popcorn is still fine. I can eat air popped, microwave, kettle corn, caramel... you name it. Just not movie theater. Pretty strange and it's been hard to nail down exactly what the issue is because I don't have intolerance to oils in any other scenario.

Ah well, Disney has no shortage of yummy snacks for me to substitute if it comes to that. So many I've been meaning to try! School Bread in Norway, everything at Les Halles Boulangerie in France, pineapple bread pudding at Poly, the Kitchen Sink from Beaches & Cream. And then there are the old favorites. I'm a sucker for the cinnamon roll from Gaston's Tavern. I guess I'll survive!

:mickey: