PDA

View Full Version : Other experiences with Poly DVC rooms?

ThanxForNoticin
03-23-2016, 12:11 PM
I have to start this thread by saying how very excited we were to get our room reservations in a new DVC studio at the Polynesian. The Poly is one of our favorite resorts anywhere, but being DVC members, we use our points whenever we can. We hadn't stayed at the Poly for more than 20 years, because we couldn't justify paying for the rooms. We have not purchased points at Poly, but we opted to use points for several nights in a lake-view studio. Sounded perfect.

And then things started to get a little less exciting for us.... First of all, a "lake view" from the DVC studios didn't really do much for us - it's actually more of a "DVC bungalow view". Our room was on the second floor, and you really can't see very much of the lake at all. The entire water pageant show is now blocked by the bungalows when trying to watch from the balcony of the room. But the real issue was we got a room in the Moorea building, very close to the T&T Center - which we also initially viewed as a "plus" for us - it was great to walk to the monorail for our days at EPCOT. However, it was right next to the ferry boat doc - and those ferry boats blow those stupid horns each time they come to the dock or leave the dock, from approximately 7AM to 1AM every day - at least during our stay. If you are a light sleeper, it is very difficult to deal with.

On a very positive side, the new pools at Poly are gorgeous - very, very nice. We were a little surprised to hear they don't offer food at the main pool - but instead offer it at the quiet pool. That seems a little backwards to us, but I guess they feel you are close enough to dining options just outside the main pool that it should work out.

So we still feel that the Poly is one of the nicest resorts in the world. But we will definitely think twice before going back to stay - and if we do, we will not spend extra points on a lake view - and will not stay next to the ferry docks!

Just wondering what others have experienced at the "new" Polynesian Village Resort since DVC took over parts of it?

faline
03-23-2016, 01:20 PM
I've always really liked the Poly as well but, like you, have not stayed there in quite some time. We've not yet stayed there on points but likely will at some point. Yes, I would suspect that the bungalows would block some of the views - good for those who can afford the bungalows - not so good for those who now look at the bungalows from their rooms.

When we had stayed there before, we once did stay very close to the ferry dock and monorail station area. Actually, we really liked the location and did not mind the ferry at all. I suspect the parks were not open quite as late as I don't recall the ferry running quite that late so I can see that the noise could be somewhat disruptive.

Basket Mommy
03-24-2016, 01:50 PM
I'd love to stay there, but it would take 3 years' worth of our points to do the 3 BR bungalow, which is what it'd take for our family of 6.

Hammer
03-24-2016, 02:07 PM
I had many of the same feelings when I stayed there last year (see my review (http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?209044-Review-of-Poly-DVC-Bungalows-and-Villas)). We would consider staying in 2 connecting studios, as my sister and I like having our own sleeping space, but would go standard view. Still would miss the in room washer/dryer.

DisneyFan1979
03-25-2016, 12:26 PM
We were lucky enough to find availability for a fairly last minute booking (by DVC standards) for three nights this past January. We LOVED the Poly studios. The design was fabulous; they really made the most of the space. The rain shower was amazing, I felt like I was at a spa.
My family isn't one to care too much about our view from our room; the only thing we prefer not to have is a parking lot view.

ThanxForNoticin
03-28-2016, 12:00 PM
I had many of the same feelings when I stayed there last year (see my review (http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?209044-Review-of-Poly-DVC-Bungalows-and-Villas)). We would consider staying in 2 connecting studios, as my sister and I like having our own sleeping space, but would go standard view. Still would miss the in room washer/dryer.

I wished I'd have sought out your review of the place before we went!! Thanks.

Pirate Granny
04-26-2016, 08:27 PM
We had third floor second room from the TC, lake view, we never heard the ferry horns and our view was fabulous and we actually got the room at 9am...wonderful��. Glad we tried it...couldn't get a week in October this year...