PDA

View Full Version : Gates at Resort Pools

steamboat willy
03-06-2016, 04:39 PM
I had heard of gates going up at some of the Resort Pools that are card or band activated. Can someone tell me the Resorts that have installed such gates? And has the Splash Pad Area at Port Orleans opened yet?

vicster
03-07-2016, 09:39 AM
Definitely the Polynesian and Wilderness Lodge - not sure about others.

mechanic
03-07-2016, 10:35 AM
Pop century, art of animation, are both done.
I believe all will be done by this summer. (CM relayed info), being done for liability concerns, in conjunction with expanded lifeguard shifts.

BrerGnat
03-07-2016, 10:48 AM
Both Port Orleans pools.

eeyoremom
03-07-2016, 12:13 PM
Does this include all the quiet pools, and are they already done at Port Orleans?

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
03-07-2016, 12:42 PM
I had heard of gates going up at some of the Resort Pools that are card or band activated. Can someone tell me the Resorts that have installed such gates? And has the Splash Pad Area at Port Orleans opened yet?

Sounds like you won't be pool hopping!

BrerGnat
03-07-2016, 01:07 PM
None of the quiet pools at any of the resorts have the fences. Only the lifeguard pools have them.

baldburke
03-08-2016, 12:54 PM
None of the quiet pools at any of the resorts have the fences. Only the lifeguard pools have them.

The Oasis pool at the Poly is gated

BrerGnat
03-08-2016, 01:31 PM
The Oasis pool at the Poly is gated

I stand corrected. I think that is a first for a quiet pool.

Hammer
03-08-2016, 01:38 PM
I stand corrected. I think that is a first for a quiet pool.

Having seen pictures of the new pool area, it is really almost a second feature pool, with hot tub, snack/pool bar and limited poolside bar service (from 11:30-5:00). Only thing missing is a slide.

minnie-mouse
03-30-2016, 01:30 PM
Beach Club Stormalong Bay pool has gate.

wdw538884
04-27-2016, 04:17 PM
there is NO pool hopping anymore at the Polynesian Village. Pools are for the sole use of guests staying at that resort only, including DVC members. Expect this trend to continue.

baldburke
04-27-2016, 10:52 PM
there is NO pool hopping anymore at the Polynesian Village. Pools are for the sole use of guests staying at that resort only, including DVC members. Expect this trend to continue.

It's not a trend for non-DVC since pool hopping has never been allowed. I would saw the jury may still be out for other DVC pools though. The number of DVC members traveling to other sites just to swim is probably minimal. I get a ban on the Poly because the resort is so small. DVC-ers wanting a break from MK, but not wanting to go back to their resort can still choose GF and BLT as options.

Polynesian Dweller
04-28-2016, 11:57 AM
Pop century, art of animation, are both done.
I believe all will be done by this summer. (CM relayed info), being done for liability concerns, in conjunction with expanded lifeguard shifts.

That may be part of it but it's because of Florida law which requires at least 48" high fences. Disney pools were grandfathered and didn't need fences. However, when a pool is refurbed it loses it grandfathering and they must install a fence. All new pools must have a fence.

ThanxForNoticin
04-28-2016, 12:34 PM
It's not a trend for non-DVC since pool hopping has never been allowed. I would saw the jury may still be out for other DVC pools though. The number of DVC members traveling to other sites just to swim is probably minimal. I get a ban on the Poly because the resort is so small. DVC-ers wanting a break from MK, but not wanting to go back to their resort can still choose GF and BLT as options.

Can anyone not staying at BLT actually get into the BLT pool? That pool has been gated for a while now.

I also think it's a trend that will continue over the coming years. A gated pool with Magic Band access will make it pretty straight-forward that only guests at a particular resort can use that pool. The DVC "perk" is likely to go away. But to be honest, for as much discussion as there is about pool hopping, I just don't see it as being that big of a deal to swim at your own resort. Do people really need/want to do it that much? There are other DVC perks being taken away that I'll miss much more than pool-hopping!

baldburke
04-28-2016, 01:19 PM
Can anyone not staying at BLT actually get into the BLT pool? That pool has been gated for a while now.

I also think it's a trend that will continue over the coming years. A gated pool with Magic Band access will make it pretty straight-forward that only guests at a particular resort can use that pool. The DVC "perk" is likely to go away. But to be honest, for as much discussion as there is about pool hopping, I just don't see it as being that big of a deal to swim at your own resort. Do people really need/want to do it that much? There are other DVC perks being taken away that I'll miss much more than pool-hopping!

My point precisely. I don't think that many people are pool hopping. As it stands now though, you should be able to go to BLT and get access to the pool, Magic Band or not.