PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Pennsylvania

Jeri Lynn
03-03-2016, 04:13 PM
Hi everyone,
My daughter was just offered a job with the US Fish and Game in PA. She will work some out of Philadelphia and some out of Pheonixville. Can anyone from PA suggest some rural areas where she can look for a place to live. She has two dogs (hound dogs) that she will not leave behind, so finding a place in the country with a 30-45 minute commute. We live in MA so we aren't familiar with PA.

THANKS!

chefmickey3
03-03-2016, 06:10 PM
Congratulations to your daughter! I live about 15 minutes from Phoenixville. It is a cute down with an active Main Street. There are great restaurants and a nice community feel. She would be best to look in the Chester County area. There are still many rural areas but commute times can be long to the city. Phoenixville is about an hour from the city. Many of the locations between the two are more suburban than rural. Maybe look in the Exton area. We went apple picking there in the fall and it seemed more rural than where we live in Montgomery County. If you have any specific places she is considering, feel free to PM me.

Jeri Lynn
03-03-2016, 08:41 PM
Thank you so much!

Hammer
03-04-2016, 12:22 AM
First, congratulations on your daughter's job. I suggest she consider suburban areas as well as rural, for the simple reason she is a 20 something single person. She will most likely go out with co-workers after work, and they will most likely want to go out in Philly. Commuting is easier to the suburbs if she'll take mass transit and she should be able to find areas where the dogs will have room. My friends in Delaware or Montgomery county love living in that area. Ian lives out there and hopefully he will see this post.

Is she required to live in PA? Southern NJ is another option.

John
03-04-2016, 09:19 AM
Ian and I both are from the Lansdale area. Actually, I grew up in Doylestown and then moved in Junior High to Lansdale. Lansdale is connected via train to philly and is a reasonable drive to Phoenixville. Had one of my best baseball games ever there. Still have the newspaper clippings - LOL.

Honestly, it's a great area - you should have lots of choices. Both my brothers still live there.

Ian
03-04-2016, 03:34 PM
Can you clarify a bit what you mean by rural? I only ask because my definition of rural and your daughter's might be a bit different and the one nice thing about this area is you literally can have your pick of environments all within like a 50 square mile radius.

Feel free to PM me ... I've lived here my entire life and I can tell you pretty much anything you need to know.

Jeri Lynn
03-06-2016, 02:34 PM
Ian, up here in MA we live in a town of about 11k people. Lots of country and back roads. My daughter would be looking for a place in the country. An apt complex would not work for her. A small house or cottage with a yard for her dogs, a place where the neighbors are not right next door. She will have so spend some time in Philly occasionally but she is definately not a city girl. She would rather be in the woods. Thank you for your help.

Ian
03-17-2016, 09:00 PM
She'd want to be a bit farther out then. I would check out maybe the Skippack area or anywhere in that vicinity. It's a bit more rural and has that small town feel.

Alternatively she could look out in maybe Green Lane or possibly up by Quakertown, parts of which are still pretty rural.

LandFan
04-19-2016, 06:30 PM
Green Lane is a pretty area - I second that! Green Lane and west of that are nice areasI currently live more by the Poconos but have lived everywhere (north & south) from the Lehigh Valley down to the Doylestown area myself.

LandFan
04-19-2016, 06:45 PM
Ian and I both are from the Lansdale area. Actually, I grew up in Doylestown and then moved in Junior High to Lansdale.

I didn't low you guys were from my neck of the woods? I went to high school in upper Bucks at Palisades back in the late 80's. We had to shop in Quakertown or Doylestown as there were no grocery stores any closer than that at the time until they built the one in Plumsteadville, lol.