PDA

View Full Version : Fastpass System - New Method for Obtaining Fourth Daily FP and Beyond?

HiHoKermitTheFrogHere
03-03-2016, 12:15 PM
I heard a rumor with no source that Disney is changing the method for obtaining FPs beyond your initial three each day. Under the current system, any FPs beyond the first three can only be obtained at a kiosk (i.e., not via the My Disney Experience app) in the park with the attraction for which you wish to obtain a FP. The rumor suggests that, with the change, additional FPs beyond the initial three will be available via the MDE app without requiring guests to use the in-park kiosks.

This is only a rumor that I have heard with no substantiation -- I see nothing on the Disney Parks Blog or the discussion boards. So I am lobbing this out there to see if anyone else has heard anything, whether in the rumor mill or on CM postings / newsletters. If true, I certainly would welcome this change.

BrerGnat
03-03-2016, 12:41 PM
I read this recently as well but don't remember where I saw it. Sounds very plausible as it's a simple programmimg change to the MDE app. This should have been done from the get go.

VWL Mom
03-03-2016, 12:52 PM
Ive read this in quite a few places but as the OP mentioned there's still no official word.

chefmickey3
03-03-2016, 03:39 PM
I would love this! We waited this week sometimes longer in the FP+ lines to get a 4th or 5th FP longer than some attractions. People are always confused and unsure what to do.

ibelieveindisneymagic
03-03-2016, 07:36 PM
This is my biggest complaint about the system - I really hope they get this finalized and make it official.

Wells
03-04-2016, 01:24 PM
Not to be a wet blanket or anything but you all do know that Disney knows what park you are in, and where in that park you are. it wouldn't be difficult for the MDE program to verify your location before issuing a FastPass.

DonaldDuck1117
03-04-2016, 01:57 PM
Read that you would only be able to make additional fast passes on your phone for the same park that you have your three already planned.

If you use those three then park hop and want a fast pass then you would still have to go to a kiosk to obtain it.

AndrewJackson
03-05-2016, 06:42 AM
From another website:

"If everything goes to plan, starting sometime around early April 2016, you will be able to make those additional FastPass+ reservations directly from My Disney Experience on your phone. This new functionality will eliminate the need to go to kiosks to make additional FastPass+ reservations after your initial three have been used."

mrte62
03-05-2016, 06:30 PM
Will the 4th FP need to be in the park that you are currently at?

BrerGnat
03-05-2016, 07:46 PM
Will the 4th FP need to be in the park that you are currently at?

Apparently, yes.

DizneyRox
03-07-2016, 01:15 PM
Not to be a wet blanket or anything but you all do know that Disney knows what park you are in, and where in that park you are. it wouldn't be difficult for the MDE program to verify your location before issuing a FastPass.
Location can be "faked" on many phones, but it would certainly be possible to validate that you have gained entry to the park of choice (and even that's it's the most current entry) before allowing a 4th+ fastpass.

Wells
03-07-2016, 02:38 PM
Location can be "faked" on many phones, but it would certainly be possible to validate that you have gained entry to the park of choice (and even that's it's the most current entry) before allowing a 4th+ fastpass.

Yeah, their not looking at your phone, their looking at your Magic Band. Those things are not only read when you enter the park but can be read from any location in the park. There are two separate antenna systems in the bands, one passive which is only read from close range such as park entry and fastpass entrances, and one active which can be read from a distance, that is what the battery powers. If you look you will see many utility boxes mounted at various points in the parks, these house the long range RFID readers.

DizneyRox
03-07-2016, 03:45 PM
Yeah, their not looking at your phone, their looking at your Magic Band. Those things are not only read when you enter the park but can be read from any location in the park. There are two separate antenna systems in the bands, one passive which is only read from close range such as park entry and fastpass entrances, and one active which can be read from a distance, that is what the battery powers. If you look you will see many utility boxes mounted at various points in the parks, these house the long range RFID readers.
Hmm.. That's an interesting twist. I know about the long range RFID, hadn't thought about using that to validate location. That would make sense, maybe revert to device location in the event of inability to detect the band tied to the location. Would be aggravating to be denied for "no good reason", by now, I presume many of the batteries are starting to die on some of the older bands. But again, Disney doesn't seem to care about the returning guests that may be using older bands whom this would impact.

LAURA.WDWLOVER
03-07-2016, 05:40 PM
Returning guests that are staying on the property, are annual pass holders or are DVC members get new wristbands ( if they want) every year.

DizneyRox
03-07-2016, 06:17 PM
Or maybe they want to use the 'souvenir' band they paid $25 or more for many trips ago...