PDA

View Full Version : Fanny Packs Safe to Wear Again?

WDanW
02-26-2016, 10:03 PM
I started going to DW in 1995 and have gone (on average) every other year since. In the beginning it was great because all I needed to carry my stuff was my fanny pack. Over the past few years my "cool" friends have made fun of me saying that they were out of style so I have struggled with backpacks, camera bags, and pockets full of stuff, but recently I noticed a number of celebrities and clothing designers are trying to bring them back.

So the big question is... Are people wearing them to the parks again or will I be ridiculed for wearing mine when I go in April? :)

Thanks

mechanic
02-26-2016, 10:21 PM
Lol. Fanny packs are not "cool". Your friends will probably always tease you . No one else will give it a second glance. Wear it proudly if you find it useful.

joonyer
02-27-2016, 12:47 AM
Yes, you can wear a fanny pack if you want to. And don't forget your jorts!

Eric87
02-27-2016, 09:59 AM
I started going to DW in 1995 and have gone (on average) every other year since. In the beginning it was great because all I needed to carry my stuff was my fanny pack. Over the past few years my "cool" friends have made fun of me saying that they were out of style so I have struggled with backpacks, camera bags, and pockets full of stuff, but recently I noticed a number of celebrities and clothing designers are trying to bring them back.

So the big question is... Are people wearing them to the parks again or will I be ridiculed for wearing mine when I go in April? :)

Thanks
It's funny you brought this up. I believe they are starting to make a comeback. This past weekend, my wife bought some stuff from Victoria Secret Pink and they were giving away free fanny packs with a certain dollar amount. I wouldn't be surprised if you start seeing them in the parks again.

missymouseworld
02-27-2016, 10:06 AM

....and the sandals with black knee socks....:thumbsup:

WDanW
02-27-2016, 10:42 AM

Uh, oh... looks like I have some shopping to do before I go ;)

ibelieveindisneymagic
02-27-2016, 01:50 PM
Fanny packs are still horrible. But, my Mom loves hers, and wears it proudly at Disney, no matter how much we tease her.

And yes, I have my own issues. I wear socks with crocs.

Altair
02-27-2016, 02:42 PM
At what point did it become necessary to carry around so much junk to an amusement park? If fanny packs are a fashion problem, backpacks aren't the answer. What's next, hiring Sherpa's?

WDanW
02-27-2016, 03:48 PM
At what point did it become necessary to carry around so much junk to an amusement park? If fanny packs are a fashion problem, backpacks aren't the answer. What's next, hiring Sherpa's?

Well, for me its...

Wallet (or at least cash/credit cards)
Camera
Phone (this could go in my pocket but on some rides I would rather it was secure)
Car keys (we drive to the parks)
My sunglasses (when on rides)
Kids sunglasses (when they get sick of wearing them, or they are on rides)
Snacks (it keeps us from getting 'Hangry')
Pins (if we decide to trade)
Vinylmations (if the kids buy any)
Receipts (I like to recap everything we spend when we get home)

... So, where do I rent the Sherpa from? ;)

BrerGnat
02-27-2016, 04:03 PM
And yes, I have my own issues. I wear socks with crocs.

My kids do this too! And they couldn't care less whether it's "cool" or not.

Stu29573
02-27-2016, 04:31 PM
I remember going in the 90's and wearing my leather American flag fannie pack proudly! I stopped not because of current styles (I've never given a rip anout that) but because so many of my items are now in my phone...and my video camera would take up most of the pack anyway, so I just wear it around my neck. Also....cargo pants can take the place of Sherpas....

vicster
02-27-2016, 04:41 PM
I use a Disney fanny pack I bought a couple of years ago. I'm hands free and don't care what anyone thinks.

CynBeth
02-27-2016, 06:59 PM
I always see people wearing fanny packs to ball games and other tourist spots whether in my state or on vacation and we do as well.

mechanic
02-27-2016, 10:27 PM
I remember going in the 90's and wearing my leather American flag fannie pack proudly! I stopped not because of current styles (I've never given a rip anout that) but because so many of my items are now in my phone...and my video camera would take up most of the pack anyway, so I just wear it around my neck. Also....cargo pants can take the place of Sherpas....

Cargo pants are getting a fair amount of hate lately, but I like having secured storage pockets. Everyone should do what works for them.

marlyn
02-27-2016, 11:42 PM
Cargo pants, fanny packs or Crocs...not sure which is worse....

Having said that though....whatever works and makes you comfortable to tour the parks is all that matters. People walk around the parks with goofy hats. I hardly think anyone will look at you twice with a fanny pack. Wear it with pride!!!

LVT
02-28-2016, 07:20 AM
WDW is an arduous endurance event. The gear helps.

baldburke
02-28-2016, 02:43 PM
Cargo pants, fanny packs or Crocs...not sure which is worse....

Indeed! Crocs and fanny packs are always in style at Disney!

Thankfully the kids are older. Only if there is an overwhelming chance of rain to I carry a backpack anymore. Usually it's just the magic band, phone and a money clip with a few bucks, an ID and an extra card...just in case. Hands free is the way to go!

WDanW
02-29-2016, 05:57 PM
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I think I will be proudly wearing my fanny pack this trip and enjoying the freedom it provides. I might have to hide it in all the pictures of me though, just in case ;)

Jeff
02-29-2016, 06:16 PM
I was just at the parks last week. I saw many folks wearing fanny packs but only one pair of Jorts!:blush:

vicster
03-01-2016, 08:35 AM
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I think I will be proudly wearing my fanny pack this trip and enjoying the freedom it provides. I might have to hide it in all the pictures of me though, just in case ;)
Haha - I turned my around for all pictures so it looks like I have a black belt on

joonyer
03-01-2016, 10:29 AM
I was just at the parks last week. I saw many folks wearing fanny packs but only one pair of Jorts!:blush:

Jorts. They get no respect. I have two pairs in my closet, just waiting to come back in style again.:secret:

PopPhan
03-01-2016, 10:36 AM

Here I thought I was going to be in style again in my sandals with black knee-highs, black denim shorts and black "wife beater" undershirt with a large, economy sized black fanny pack!! LOL (Yes, I am rather fond of the color black for clothing!)

In all seriousness, though, Wear whatever you feel comfortable with. I will wear shorts of any kind, denim or otherwise (preferrably otherwise as denim gets too hot), with a button down shirt and walking shoes with quarter socks. I do not even take a wallet into the parks anymore. A business card / credit card holder for ID / PhotoPass card (if necessary) and a little cash, just in case. AND my phone, for camera purposes. My MagicBand takes care of everything else.

mymickeymouse
03-08-2016, 01:52 PM
Yes my kids have always teased me, but I never quit wearing my fanny pack, it is entirely too convenient!

Terra
03-09-2016, 10:37 AM
Who cares what people think! March to the beat of your own drum :)

My motto: As long as it's family friendly.
One lady, kid you not, low riders, red thong, purple hat. Listen, I am Pooh sized so I can say this, she was also Pooh sized. NOT okay, ever, even outside of WDW! :haha:

When my kiddos are with me, I admit I have a sherpa ;)
My oldest is special needs with medical issues so I have to carry around "gear" that helps him [ASD] and first aid kit for his medical stuff.

EJS-Houston
03-10-2016, 03:58 PM
I could not conceivably care less if anyone hates cargo pants; I love them and will keep wearing them 'til the day I die. If you like fanny packs, wear 'em!

Dream'nDisney
03-11-2016, 05:18 PM
My kids teased me when I tried to wear mine several years ago, and now they are fine with it. I think marketing is trying to make them sound cooler by calling them hip bags or waist bags now. I will always refer to it as my fanny pack though. lol

Euby
03-14-2016, 08:06 AM
I found an RFID blocking wallet with a long strap that I use at the parks. I found it at Target in the Travel aisle.

Drachengeist
03-31-2016, 07:30 PM
So here you are in arguably the most magical/fun place on earth. Where people proudly sport felt caps with plastic mouse ears stapled to them, or giant green top hats with dog ears hanging from them. You can get face painted as any number of characters or animals. Where you don't know if the outfit you just saw was some twisted version of local/traditional dress back where that person came from, or if it was "im wearing this because its Florida, I am on vacation, and its hot". You are trying to decide whether the mickey head ice cream or the giant turkey leg would fit the hungry you have. All around you people have accessorized with things sparkly, glow in the dark, light up (or all 3). T-shirts range from Disney to "huh?!".

No one is going to put you into the stocks in frontier land for fashion gaffes. Nobody will notice, they are all too busy having fun.:mickey:

Drachengeist
03-31-2016, 07:33 PM
But I don't wear it on my fanny. It would get crushed when I sat down in the Clam-mobile.

OneMoreTime
04-03-2016, 07:03 PM
I ordered a buddy pouch for my up coming Disney vacation. Www.therunningbuddy.com
Just need something small to keep a few bucks in and my atm card. Reviews are great. Hopefully it will be worth it as I am not a fannypack kind of girl.

ThanxForNoticin
04-04-2016, 11:52 AM
So here you are in arguably the most magical/fun place on earth. Where people proudly sport felt caps with plastic mouse ears stapled to them, or giant green top hats with dog ears hanging from them. You can get face painted as any number of characters or animals. Where you don't know if the outfit you just saw was some twisted version of local/traditional dress back where that person came from, or if it was "im wearing this because its Florida, I am on vacation, and its hot". You are trying to decide whether the mickey head ice cream or the giant turkey leg would fit the hungry you have. All around you people have accessorized with things sparkly, glow in the dark, light up (or all 3). T-shirts range from Disney to "huh?!".

No one is going to put you into the stocks in frontier land for fashion gaffes. Nobody will notice, they are all too busy having fun.:mickey:

LOVE IT!! You are exactly correct!