PDA

View Full Version : How Much Is There To Do....Really?

Stu29573
02-23-2016, 01:50 PM
On a lark, I decided to look at the number of attractions available in both Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resort. It really was a little tricky because Disney has always had a rather loose definition of "attraction." I had to make some judgement calls (for example, I consider listing the individual animal types to be found at AK as different attractions stretching it). I came up with the following:
Walt Disney World= 75 attractions (about 19 a park)
Disneyland Resort= 72 attractions (36 a park)
Whaaaaaaa?????? Even with Disneyland having closed several things for building Star Wars Land, they still are within three attractions of WDW??? I suddenly feel ripped off. I guess I should have been going to Disneyland this whole time after all!
What do you guys think?

TheVBs
02-23-2016, 01:56 PM
Wow! That is not what I would have expected. You've made me want to look through the attractions at Disneyland. We would love to visit there, but it would have to coincide with being out there for a larger trip.

Stu29573
02-23-2016, 02:00 PM
To be fair, I didn't count the water parks since I never go to them, but still...dang!

Stu29573
02-23-2016, 02:14 PM
Wow! That is not what I would have expected. You've made me want to look through the attractions at Disneyland. We would love to visit there, but it would have to coincide with being out there for a larger trip.

We're thinking the same thing about making it part of a larger trip....It could be fun!

Speedy1998
02-23-2016, 02:18 PM
I think DL is the mother ship, so combined with it's proximity to Disney imagineering it gets all the love.

TheVBs
02-23-2016, 02:33 PM
We're thinking the same thing about making it part of a larger trip....It could be fun!

I agree! We're going to drive out to see the Grand Canyon, Mesa Verde, Bryce and Zion this summer, and you know I had to see how much further it would be to go to DL. Too far unfortunately.

Stu29573
02-23-2016, 02:41 PM
I agree! We're going to drive out to see the Grand Canyon, Mesa Verde, Bryce and Zion this summer, and you know I had to see how much further it would be to go to DL. Too far unfortunately.

We had thought about flying into San Francisco and renting a car an driving down...but it might be too far too..

goofyskier
02-23-2016, 02:54 PM
We had thought about flying into San Francisco and renting a car an driving down...but it might be too far too..

We did that in the Summer of 2013. Started in San Fran, drove to Yosemite back to San Fran. Stayed for a few days then did Carmel, Big Sur, Moteray, Pismo Beach Sand Dunes, Santa Monica and two days at Disneyland. Was an awesome trip and the Disneland portion was well worth it. I actually find it more appealing now with the FP+ thing not being at Disneyland.

Stu29573
02-23-2016, 03:01 PM
We did that in the Summer of 2013. Started in San Fran, drove to Yosemite back to San Fran. Stayed for a few days then did Carmel, Big Sur, Moteray, Pismo Beach Sand Dunes, Santa Monica and two days at Disneyland. Was an awesome trip and the Disneland portion was well worth it. I actually find it more appealing now with the FP+ thing not being at Disneyland.
Wow, what a trip! Gives me something to think about....

BrerGnat
02-23-2016, 04:48 PM
Yep. That's been the case for awhile now. It is one of the things that frustrates me when people say that Disneyland is "too small." Sure, in terms of area in square feet, it is. But it has as much to offer as WDW in terms of attractions. The parks don't have vast stretches of walkways with nothing but shops. The attractions and shows are packed in and the parks do suffer from that, crowd wise, but it is VERY difficult to do all the attractions at DLR in even a week. I have said this before, but I have logged over 300 visits to the DLR parks. I still have not experienced every ride and show.

NewDVCowner
02-23-2016, 04:55 PM
Takes about 8 hours going down highway 5 - an ugly highway that really doesn't give you anything else to look at. But, it's a pretty quick drive - at least until you get into LA, then the traffic picks up and slows you down. I live in the east bay and it's about eight hours down.

AndrewJackson
02-23-2016, 05:19 PM
My guess is that the Magic Kingdom has the same number or more attractions than the other three theme parks combines. Would that be accurate?

Stu29573
02-23-2016, 05:26 PM
My guess is that the Magic Kingdom has the same number or more attractions than the other three theme parks combines. Would that be accurate?

I didn't count it that way, but it seems very accurate...

Disneyfun
02-23-2016, 06:18 PM
On a lark, I decided to look at the number of attractions available in both Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resort. It really was a little tricky because Disney has always had a rather loose definition of "attraction." I had to make some judgement calls (for example, I consider listing the individual animal types to be found at AK as different attractions stretching it). I came up with the following:
Walt Disney World= 75 attractions (about 19 a park)
Disneyland Resort= 72 attractions (36 a park)
Whaaaaaaa?????? Even with Disneyland having closed several things for building Star Wars Land, they still are within three attractions of WDW??? I suddenly feel ripped off. I guess I should have been going to Disneyland this whole time after all!
What do you guys think?

I will preface this with I absolutely LOVE and prefer Disneyland over WDW but unfortunately live on the east coast so WDW is where we go.

I am curious as to what you counted as an 'attraction'. By my count, WDW's Magic Kingdom has 51 attractions by itself. I counted rides, shows, and designated character meet-and-greet areas (like Princess Hall, Magician Mickey, etc.). The WDW railroad only got counted once.

Stu29573
02-23-2016, 07:32 PM
I counted rides and shows. I'm still old school enough to where I don't think a meet and greet counts. Again, judgement call on my part

BrerGnat
02-23-2016, 09:24 PM
Character meet and greets don't count at all.

Goofy4TheWorld
02-23-2016, 09:50 PM
Character meet and greets don't count at all.

While I fully understand why many people don't think they should count, and if you were to ask me to count out loud the attractions at MK I would not instinctively count character meets, but the meets still have a big appeal to lots of people. Ask Anna & Elsa how long their day is if you don't believe me! ;)

Genie1953
02-23-2016, 10:12 PM
We loved Disneyland as much as Disneyworld.....we just prefer Disneyworld more due to Epcot and Animal Kingdom. We find Disneyland to be more crowded than Disneyworld but I think it just seems that way because Disneyland has a smaller footprint. We love love loved that at Disneyland we were walking in places that Walt himself had walked. We definitely preferred Disneyland Downtown Disney to Disney Springs at Disneyworld....mostly because it is more compact. Anyway.....just our opinions...

badkitty
02-24-2016, 03:27 AM
While I fully understand why many people don't think they should count, and if you were to ask me to count out loud the attractions at MK I would not instinctively count character meets, but the meets still have a big appeal to lots of people. Ask Anna & Elsa how long their day is if you don't believe me! ;)

Characters at DL still roam freely and there seems to be more "areas" to meet/greet throughout the park. To count all of them might put the total way over MK. Just a thought.

BrerGnat
02-24-2016, 08:41 AM
Characters at DL still roam freely and there seems to be more "areas" to meet/greet throughout the park. To count all of them might put the total way over MK. Just a thought.

I had that same thought!

Stu29573
02-25-2016, 10:35 AM
My last time at Disneyland was in 1973 (I was 9). I still remember Pirates being incredible (much better than WDW) and my grandmother taking a nerve pill after getting off of the Matterhorn, lol. Yes, it may well be time to go back...

magicman
02-28-2016, 01:51 PM
I have been to both and love Walt Disney World because of the space. I love wandering around the expanse of EPCOT, the trails of Animal Kingdom, and the tributes to Walt at DHS.

I know this is not empirical data based on counting rides, but I love how there is so much space to experience at the World.

Lastly, I would feel wrong by not completing my post by saying that both places are magic!!

Terra
02-29-2016, 07:02 AM
My last time at Disneyland was in 1973 (I was 9). I still remember Pirates being incredible (much better than WDW) and my grandmother taking a nerve pill after getting off of the Matterhorn, lol. Yes, it may well be time to go back...
:haha: That is too funny. The last time I was there, I was 10 years old in 1981. My mom and I chickened out just as we started to load!
I loved Pirates at DL too. Now I'm wondering if I remember right in thinking that the drop is bigger in DL than WDW for pirates. But it may have been because I was a child too.
I loved how the attraction went through the then Blue Bayou restaurant though!

I have been to both and love Walt Disney World because of the space. I love wandering around the expanse of EPCOT, the trails of Animal Kingdom, and the tributes to Walt at DHS.

I know this is not empirical data based on counting rides, but I love how there is so much space to experience at the World.

Lastly, I would feel wrong by not completing my post by saying that both places are magic!!

Love this. And I too love wondering around. I go often just to grab a drink and take in the sounds, sights, smells. It's a great place to escape on my own and just get away from reality!

BrerGnat
02-29-2016, 11:45 AM
:haha: That is too funny. The last time I was there, I was 10 years old in 1981. My mom and I chickened out just as we started to load!
I loved Pirates at DL too. Now I'm wondering if I remember right in thinking that the drop is bigger in DL than WDW for pirates. But it may have been because I was a child too.
I loved how the attraction went through the then Blue Bayou restaurant though!

Love this. And I too love wondering around. I go often just to grab a drink and take in the sounds, sights, smells. It's a great place to escape on my own and just get away from reality!

Pirates at DL had two drops, both larger than WDWs.

And, it still goes by the Blue Bayou restaurant!

mrte62
03-05-2016, 06:39 PM
Spent a lot of time in DL as my parents moved to California in 1986. Very different feel in DL vs WDW.

DL caters more on local/repeat customers, as opposed to WDW which caters to one time visitors. And DL is the flagship park. We always found the MK in DL a cut above .....

Gator
03-07-2016, 02:44 PM
No one gets ripped by going to WDW. I've done DL the last three years and would now consider myself a veteran and a fan. And while DL matches up with WDW well with attractions, there are things at WDW that sets it above DL for me. In fact, if it didn't cost so much to fly out there, there wouldn't have been all these DL trips I just made.

-Kilimanjaro Safaris
-Expedition Everest (Matterhorn isn't even close...in fact, we all hate it)
-Spaceship Earth
-World Showcase (all 11 countries count as at least one attraction that DL doesn't have)
-Illuminations (nothing can touch this)
-20 resorts more than DL
-47 square mile Disney Bubble

While DL can keep up mostly, there's quite a bit that makes WDW the place I keep trying to figure out how to get back to.

PeterPan
03-07-2016, 11:14 PM
Disneyland has been in existence for over 60 years. Because Walt practically built it with his own two hands (metaphorically speaking), the Company has always lavished a LOT of attention on the Mother Park. It's truly astounding how many attractions they have been able to CRAM into a relatively tiny park. And ... it works! It's incredibly charming. "Charming" is not a word I would use too often with WDW. It is spectacular in another way. And who knows, once it has been there 60 years (the year 2031!!!) it may have as many attractions as Disneyland.

Lindslou
03-21-2016, 02:40 PM
I just went to DLR in November. I usually go to WDW. I am surprised by those numbers! I got through Disneyland much faster than I could get through Disney World. I wonder what gives. I guess shorter walk times must be a factor. But really there is so much more in WDW. I'm baffled.

But that being said I love them both. I would always go WDW regardless of geography because it has so much more to offer. But it definitely was cool seeing the "original." I would say to anyone on the east coast go to Disneyland if you have another reason to be in CA and make it a part of a more extensive trip.

Gauis2001
03-28-2016, 11:20 AM
I have to admit, the first time I visited DL I was an adult and had visited DW many many times previously. I was a little disappointed in DL but not exactly sure why. When I was a kid, we used to watch the Magical World of Disney and wanted to go to DL so bad.....but it never worked out. Having visited DW the first time in October '72, I've watched it grow as I've grown older. Now that my family is older, we still enjoy the Magic but through different lenses. Now, we stroll the parks and many times don't even go into an attraction, but we sure do enjoy the resorts, restaurants and watering holes. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing DL's numbers there don't compare. I've only been to DL 3 times, but I guess the space is the biggest thing I enjoy. I would also have to say the 4 different parks all have separate "feels" and I/we enjoy that. Being AP's we spend about 30 days a year at the parks, and we get into our routines....BUT, the magic has never gone away. I'm looking forward to visiting Disney Paris in the next couple years too. Wonder how that compares?

TheHD
03-28-2016, 05:57 PM
In my opinion, if you compare the Magic Kingdom to Disneyland, Disneyland wins by a large margin. Reasons being the Matterhorn, Indiana Jones, Pirates is much better, Space Mountain you sit by two's (some people prefer that), Mr. Toad, to name a few. But having visited Disney World for the first time in 2000 with over 20+ trips to DL under my belt at that time, there's a reason why I continue to cough up over $1000 in plane tickets to visit DW when I can just drive six hours to DL. DW is simply much more magical than DL.

When you're in DW, you just feel like you are away in another world (World vs. Land right?). I feel so immersed in Disney at DW, whereas at DL, it just seems like a day trip and nothing more. You don't really feel "Disney" as much, I'm sure due to the outside world literally just feet away.

Jack Skellington
04-05-2016, 03:05 PM
Having just returned from a trip to DL, I have some thoughts on this topic.

The compactness of DL is great for concentration of rides and attractions, but maddening when it comes to dealing with the crowds. DL doesn't seem to be able to absorb the crowds as well as any of the parks at WDW. California Adventure does seem to handle the crowds better, though it too has a number of "choke points" which make navigating through crowds exceptionally difficult. My wife and I and all the other adults in our group found the crowds to be a bit much, particularly on Main Street, Tomorrowland and in Frontierland (though that could be because of closures related to the SWL expansion).

That said, I absolutely know what we are getting into when it comes to a DL or a WDW vacation, crowds at some point are part of the deal. My experience is that crowds at DL can be stifling, whereas crowds at WDW (even in high season) are more manageable. I will caveat this with saying that we have never traveled to either during Christmas or Thanksgiving (only right after).

The other factor that puts WDW above DL for us is the immersion factor, you are clearly on vacation and in the bubble of Disney (particularly when staying on property) when at WDW. In my opinion, the intrusions of the outside world really seem to detract from the immersion factor at DL. Pulling up to Starbucks near the Anaheim Grove and seeing a Bellhop from the Hollywood Tower Hotel, takes a little something away from the experience for me.

The lack of Utilidors is apparent at DL as well, the intrusion of themed cast members in their themed costumes/uniforms into other "lands" is inevitable because of this, and it detracts.

Haunted Mansion is shorter at DL, with no interactive queue and it being my favorite ride, that is another knock. This is almost overcome by the Hatbox Ghost...almost, but not quite.

Pirates is superb at DL and is hands down, better than the WDW version (almost 2x as long in duration, 2 drops, the amazing cavern scene, all make it better). The storytelling clearly communicates that we are traveling, gradually, back in time to the time of Pirates. The talking skull, add to that the Blue Bayou restaurant and you have an amazing attraction far above the WDW cousin.

New Orleans Square is a very rich "land" in DL, so great and full of "authenticity". A similar space does not exist in MK in WDW.

The amount of large growth at DL is also something we appreciate, it appears to provide more shade and makes up for some of the lack of immersion.

CarsLand at CA is amazing, what a great addition to the parks, and of course unique. Bugs Land is great, but they took out It's Tough to be a Bug for a lame (IMO) Jungle Book sneak peak (that nobody seemed to be taking advantage of).

Love the theming of Grizzly Peak in CA, the River Rapids ride, Soarin', and the Challenge Trail all are excellent. IMO, the addition of Soarin' at Epcot was great, but it seems a bit out of place in the Land.

The proximity of the two parks at DL is also a big plus, park hopping is a breeze.

The food at DL is fantastic and noticably better than the offerings at WDW. There are a lot of little tiny locations that offer great niche items. The Mint Julep bar in New Orleans Square for Mickey beignets is our new fave!

We enjoyed the Princess breakfast at Ariel's Grotto in CA, but it pales in comparison to the experience at Cinderella's Royal Table in MK.

Splash Mountain is great at both parks IMO, a bit different, but both great.

WDW wins overall for me with the immersion factor, the much greater space in each park, the way it can absorb crowds much better, the variety of the experiences at the 4 parks plus the waterparks and the resorts. I am also one of the rare breed that really appreciates and prefers FP+.

All of that said, both WDW and DL/CA are amazing and I am very lucky to have been able to take my family to both.

I will probably always prefer WDW, but will never pass up an opportunity to pay a visit to the original. I just will avoid it on the weekends and stay away during school breaks (if possible).

JS:mickey:

Ian
04-05-2016, 03:27 PM
I've talked about this many, many times with WDW. Outside of Magic Kingdom, which has by far the most legitimate attractions of any of Disney's Orlando parks, the other three parks are really a blatant ripoff in terms of number of attractions for your admission dollars.

By my count, Magic Kingdom has right around thirty attractions.

If you want to be honest about it, Epcot has like eleven legitimate attractions? Spaceship Earth, Test Track, Mission Space (being generous here), Soarin', Nemo (again generous), Ellen, Gran Fiesta Tour, the coming-soon Frozen ride, the two films, and American Adventure.

The Studios has six, which is pretty shocking when you stop to consider that. You're paying $100 for six attractions???

Animal Kingdom has eleven, too, which is counting some pretty weak stuff like the train to Conservation Station, etc.

So best case you're getting about 33% value for your money at the three newest parks when compared to MK. Worst case you're getting 20%.

MNNHFLTX
04-05-2016, 06:16 PM
The stats don't surprise me. I love Disneyland and the whole ambience there. Disney World, once such a special place to me, has become something of a soulless pit (or money pit), while Disneyland retains the heart of what I think a Disney theme park should be.

MouseHouser
05-13-2016, 07:07 AM
Seems this thread has shifted a bit, to "Which of the 2 parks do you prefer." I agree 100% with Jack -- WDW has the immersion factor. The atmosphere inside the Disney bubble to me is more transporting. More magic. And we absolutely love visiting the deluxe resorts for a meal or just to hang out. No comparison. Jmho.

DisneyDadfromPittsburgh
05-13-2016, 02:43 PM
Regardless of the hard numbers, been there, done that.........DisneyWorld over Disneyland any day, any time. Just my 2 cents.

lawgirl
06-09-2016, 07:13 PM
It really depends on what you consider an "attraction" to be. Haha, my kids consider riding the bus and monorail to be an "attraction"! I haven't been to DL but my dad always talks about how small it is. We want to go at some point, but WDW is so much closer, and I feel like for my kids the character meet and greets and the WDW train at MK and AK are some of the biggest attractions there are. That will probably change, I'm sure, but we basically spent a day at the MK last year riding the train multiple times b/c my son is obsessed with trains, and for him it couldn't get any better! Very interesting post!

SignguyTom
06-27-2016, 04:57 PM
We are six hours away from DL. We love it and attend often. We consider it a weekender kind of trip. We get to WDW about every 2-3 years and consider it a full blown vacation. I think that both resorts have a very similar number of attractions. Some common, others unique. For us, it's the resorts and restaurants that set WDW apart from DL. We are DVC members with BWV as our home resort. The Grand Californian has a handful of villas, but, unless it is your home resort, they are nearly impossible to get within the 7-month booking window. We love the options at WDW!

EeyoresBestFriend
07-10-2016, 11:00 AM
Although we enjoy the rides(attractions), WDW is so much more than that to us. We enjoy the amounts if restaurants; tonnes of places to snoop around in; the entertainment in all on-site resorts and parks; and just LOVE the fact that when I leave the parks to go back to my on-site resort - I have not lost one ounce of the magic since I don't walk out into the city as soon as I leave the gates.

We enjoy both coasts but WDW is definitely more magical to us.

TheHD
07-10-2016, 11:36 AM
Also, in regards to pin-trading, there are many CMs that take part in pin-trading at WDW, including shops, resorts, cleaning crew, etc., while at DL, it feels as if pin-trading is forced upon the CMs. Pin-trading at DL does not feel the same and almost as if you are putting the CM out asking to look at pins. Added to that, the pins at DL all appear to be the same in circulation wherever you look.

Stu29573
07-10-2016, 08:15 PM
I think my take on all of this is that at this point, I would really enjoy DL as much or not more than WDW. Really, the attractions are the heart of it for me, and at least at this point DL is a much richer environment in that department (at least per square inch). Don't get me wrong, I love WDW and I'm planning on taking the whole family back after everything opens (Avitar, Toy Story Land, Star Wars Land) but right now, I would choose DL. Also, since I'm a history nut (especially Disney) that makes DL even more exciting...

disney daddy
07-11-2016, 09:08 PM
Comparing Disneyland to Walt Disney World is silly. Please don't. It's like debating which ice cream flavor is the best.

BTW, it's Cherry Garcia. The ice cream flavor.

Arielfan98
07-20-2016, 10:39 AM
Well these aren't attractions, but there are more things to do at WDW like go resort hopping. I love going to other resorts just to check them out. Like, you could get a surrey bike and enjoy the Boardwalk, or go to Beaches & Cream, or make s'mores at Fort Wilderness--the list goes on and on!

ransam
07-27-2016, 04:33 PM
I've talked about this many, many times with WDW. Outside of Magic Kingdom, which has by far the most legitimate attractions of any of Disney's Orlando parks, the other three parks are really a blatant ripoff in terms of number of attractions for your admission dollars.

By my count, Magic Kingdom has right around thirty attractions.

If you want to be honest about it, Epcot has like eleven legitimate attractions? Spaceship Earth, Test Track, Mission Space (being generous here), Soarin', Nemo (again generous), Ellen, Gran Fiesta Tour, the coming-soon Frozen ride, the two films, and American Adventure.

The Studios has six, which is pretty shocking when you stop to consider that. You're paying $100 for six attractions???

Animal Kingdom has eleven, too, which is counting some pretty weak stuff like the train to Conservation Station, etc.

So best case you're getting about 33% value for your money at the three newest parks when compared to MK. Worst case you're getting 20%.

The studios has 6 attractions?
Wow.
off the top of my head-
rr roller coaster
tower of terror
muppet show
star wars
beauty and beast show
fantasmic
indana jones,
little mermaid
junior play hours
toy story mania
walt's dream
honey i shrunk the kids park
great movie ride (not sure if still open)
I"m sure i'm missing something too.
Just because you don't like an attraction, doesn't mean you can't count it.

in regard to the argument which is best,
i prefer WDW. Been to Disneyland and while i love a lot about it, love knowing Walt walked down main street, i think small world is a lot better, and i like pirates better, it doesn't compare to WDW
I can do Disneyland in 3 days easy, i've been to WDW numerous time and never come close to doing it all, much less in 3 days. You can literally spend 3 days in just the country part of epcot.
To me Disneyland is a local park, and WDW is a world destination. If you're planning a vacation to california, disneyland will be something you want to do while you're there, while with WDW people go to florida JUST for WDW.

My gf like disney, not a fanatic like me, but she likes it. we've gone to wdw 3 or 4 times. went to DL last october. her reaction was she liked DL but wouldn't go back, cause she felt she had seen it all.

I'm not putting DL down, as I love it, but as an imagineer once said-DL is cool, very nice, while WDW is majestic.