PDA

View Full Version : Better time of year to buy?

O'MalleytheAlleyCat
02-17-2016, 01:41 PM
I already own two DVC contracts at two different resorts and they are two different use years. One was purchased from Disney and one was resale. I'm thinking of purchasing more points, but would probably limit myself to the same resort/use year of one of my other contracts, so things wouldn't seem too confusing for me when booking reservations. I would almost certainly buy again through the resale market, but I'm wondering if there is a better time of year when point prices seem to go up or down. Does anyone out there have information on this or at least an opinion? I know supply and demand has a lot to do with prices and I also know that "front loaded" contracts typically sell for a higher cost per point. I'm not in a big hurry to do this, so I have time to wait if necessary. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

faline
02-17-2016, 02:02 PM
Long before we were ready to actually purchase, I would visit the sales listings at the Time Share Store at least weekly. There did seem to be times when folks were asking a lot for their property particularly if they had already "stripped" the points and no new points would be available until a year after the purchase and there were times when there seemed to be more listings with points "in the bank". Once we got ready to purchase, I continued to closely watch listings and finally found one that I felt we couldn't pass up.

ThanxForNoticin
02-18-2016, 01:00 PM
We took a similar approach as faline. We were thinking about buying, we watched to boards for what we wanted (a particular home resort with a particular use-year), and came across a good deal for us. I can't say I noticed any particular time of year having better deals - it's more like there's a flow of people looking to sell and a flow looking to buy!

We were not in a hurry to get the points and ended up buying a contract that was stripped of any "immediate" points. We only got access to the points about a year later - which worked for us. We found that kept the price down a bit - plus it pushed out any obligations to pay dues right away. So I'd say figure what you want to buy, approximately how many points, what use-year, and keep watching. Our salesperson also watched for us and would get in touch if something close to our needs hit his desk.

Good luck!