PDA

View Full Version : renting points...

mouseketeer mom
02-10-2016, 07:59 AM
When expressing my frustration over the cost of the resorts in the accommodations forum, multiple people have suggested renting points from a DVC owner. I understand Intercot doesn't do that, but I don't understand how to begin. We will be arriving at the end of next month. Can someone point me in the right direction?

missymouseworld
02-10-2016, 09:50 AM
One of Intercot's sponsors, The Timeshare Store, would be able to assist you with that. If you go under sponsors and click on them it will direct you to their site. We sent info to them to rent a couple times for the Spring Break season in previous years, but were not able to get the resort and dates we needed. However, it may be a good option for you.

We have never rented points from them, but did use them to buy our points recently, and they were great to work with. I highly recommend them.

missymouseworld
02-10-2016, 12:17 PM
Just remembered that whenever we looked to rent points around Spring Break time, the only DVC resort available was Saratoga Springs.

VWL Mom
02-10-2016, 03:25 PM
I just went on DVC to poke around and see what's actually available if you did rent. This closed to check-in there really not anything unless you would want to be switching resorts or rooms during your stay.

Goofy4TheWorld
02-10-2016, 05:17 PM
...but I don't understand how to begin. We will be arriving at the end of next month. Can someone point me in the right direction?

I have zero experience renting points, but I have read up on it in the past, before I decided it just wasn't for me. Some of my information might be WRONG since it's been 5 years since I studied it, but I'm sure someone will come through and correct the record if that be the case.

Others have already pointed out that it's unlikely that you will be able to get a reservation this close to your arrival. DVC members can book their home resort at 11-months out, and all other resorts at 7-months out. The nature of DVC is that plans have to be pinned down well in advance in order for them to decide if the want to save ("bank") their points for the following year (as opposed to selling their points by "renting them"). So getting a reservation on short notice isn't likely to happen.

Renting points is kind of like buying from eBay. It can be a back-and-forth negation on price, or it can be a Buy-It-Now price. The transaction can be handled directly between yourself and the DVC owner, or it can be handled by a third party broker (such as The Timeshare Store). Compare it to using Craigslist locally versus PayPal, the more direct the transaction the less "protection" from someone taking your money and running.

Once you agree on a price for a certain number of days, and the availability is determined, the DVC member has to make the reservation themselves (I think it's in your name though), but you do not "own" that reservation at all, even though you paid for it (but you paid the DVC member, not Disney). You can't call Disney and confirm anything, or make any changes. I am not sure how things work with linking the reservation on MDE and FP+ stuff, I haven't studied the system since MDE's invention. At the whim of the DVC member they could do whatever they want with your reservation and/or your money. I have no idea how often someone renting points from someone else gets hosed, but it is a risk that certainly exists. Once you "check in" at your resort, the reservation becomes your own.

You find points by either 1) knowing a DVC owner personally, 2) using a message board that posts "for sale" ads to find a DVC owner, or 3) using a broker to find, secure, and complete the purchase on your behalf.

A third party broker simply stands in the middle of the transaction, similar to a real estate agent when buying/selling a house. It's a transaction that doesn't require a broker, but they provide experience and some "cushion" of safety, and are likely to make the process easier because of the fact that they do it for a living.

WiltonJohn
02-13-2016, 01:02 PM
We did this for our last trip... worked great and the only way we could afford to stay at the AKL. Looking at doing that again for sure.

BUT... we were able to plan far ahead.

best,

.................john