PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations to all Cast Members

nicholsbears
02-05-2016, 12:22 PM
:bar::bar::bar:
Just wanted to congratulate all the Cast Members at WDW on their courteous and attentive service to their guests. We have been to WDW several times and the Cast Members have always been willing to go out of their way to help us.
Recently returned from our "once in a lifetime" trip to Disneyland and, sorry to say, the majority (not all) of cast members there seemed almost indifferent to helping us.

Maybe it's just a "California attitude" thing, but it seemed like whenever we asked a question, the cast member would say just to go here or there, and maybe so-and-so could help us. Not what I am used to from Disney.

Looking forward to our next trip to WDW.
:goofy:

Claudielou
02-05-2016, 01:25 PM
We found the same thing when we went to Disneyland. The cast members were dressed up but not "in character"and not particularly friendly or helpful. Not in every case but overall. I was really disappointed. That's part of what we love about WDW!

buzznwoodysmom
02-05-2016, 05:32 PM
Sorry to say that we felt the same way on our recent first trip to Disneyland. I can't even remember how many times we were simply told "I don't know" when asking CMs a question about simple things. No "let me see if I can find out for you", or let me pretend I even care, just a quick "I don't know" and back to whatever it was they were doing.

BrerGnat
02-05-2016, 05:49 PM
I am always surprised by these kinds of comparisons. With the exception of some CMs at Disneyland Guest Relations, I find them to be overall MUCH friendlier at DL vs. WDW. I am at Disneyland literally all the time (at least weekly) and I never encounter grumpy or indifferent CMs. So strange.

nicholsbears
02-06-2016, 01:42 PM
Perhaps because you are there at least once a week. you don't ask for help very often like someone new to the Park would.

BrerGnat
02-06-2016, 06:31 PM
Perhaps because you are there at least once a week. you don't ask for help very often like someone new to the Park would.

Perhaps. But we interact with CMs on every ride, every time we buy something, order food, etc. And we use a DAS and have to go to Guest services all the time.

MrPeetrie
02-08-2016, 10:31 AM
I have always had great interactions with the Walt Disney World cast members. Most of them exemplify the "Disney" way. One thing that I do not like about online check-in and getting notified by my smart phone my room is ready, is skipping the check-in line. It is usually my first interaction with a Disney cast member. Almost every time I check in, the cast member behind the counter starts my vacation off in such a positive way and I look forward to it every time. I am probably one of the few people that can't wait to get into the check-in line. Unfortunately, the rest of the family wants to get to the room so online check-in will be the way to go.

Still, Kudos to the Walt Disney World cast members!

buzznwoodysmom
02-08-2016, 11:38 AM
Here is just one example of what we experienced in Disneyland.

We arrived at California Adventure through the entrance at Grand Californian. We didn't even think to grab maps to the park on our way in, neither do any of us remember seeing any. I am sure we just missed them, but anyway.... Once in the park, realizing we were a bit turned around, we started looking for maps. We stopped at a few kiosks and asked if they had park maps or if they knew where we could find one, besides going to the park entrance. Every single CM looked up at us, said "I don't know" and turned away, going back to whatever it was they were doing, seeming to not want to be bothered by us. I chatted up a CM at one of the gift shops. Again, asked if they had any park maps in the store or if he knew where we could get one. And again was given a simple "I don't know" answer. I engaged him more asking if there was anywhere other than going all the way to the park entrance to get a map. "Don't know". We literally walked a few yards and found the child care center, or something of that nature, and sure enough there were park maps inside. I almost walked back over to the gift shop to let the CM know that there are park maps just a few yards from his store, but figured why bother. He didn't seem to be interested in knowing more to help his guests anyway.

Again, this is just one example, but we encountered this same indifferent, don't care, can't be bothered attitude a lot during our short stay. Even my DH, who is not one to ever complain, said "they sure don't seem to care much here".

To be fair, we did also have some positive interactions with CMs, but those seemed few and far between. The only CM that really sticks out as being genuinely enthusiastic about his job and his guests was a monorail pilot.

We enjoyed our Disneyland trip, but I fell sick after just one day in the parks and didn't fully recover till we were back home so it definitely put a damper on our trip. I feel like I need a "do over" because I surely thought I would LOVE Disneyland. I liked it ok, but can't say I loved it. I only used 2 days of my 3 day ticket, end even those weren't full days. Hopefully if I get some time I'll get around to a quick trip report one of these days.

To sum up our feelings my kids said several times during our trip "it doesn't really feel like Disney here".

BrerGnat
02-08-2016, 02:59 PM
Here is just one example of what we experienced in Disneyland.

We arrived at California Adventure through the entrance at Grand Californian. We didn't even think to grab maps to the park on our way in, neither do any of us remember seeing any. I am sure we just missed them, but anyway.... Once in the park, realizing we were a bit turned around, we started looking for maps. We stopped at a few kiosks and asked if they had park maps or if they knew where we could find one, besides going to the park entrance. Every single CM looked up at us, said "I don't know" and turned away, going back to whatever it was they were doing, seeming to not want to be bothered by us. I chatted up a CM at one of the gift shops. Again, asked if they had any park maps in the store or if he knew where we could get one. And again was given a simple "I don't know" answer. I engaged him more asking if there was anywhere other than going all the way to the park entrance to get a map. "Don't know". We literally walked a few yards and found the child care center, or something of that nature, and sure enough there were park maps inside. I almost walked back over to the gift shop to let the CM know that there are park maps just a few yards from his store, but figured why bother. He didn't seem to be interested in knowing more to help his guests anyway.

Again, this is just one example, but we encountered this same indifferent, don't care, can't be bothered attitude a lot during our short stay. Even my DH, who is not one to ever complain, said "they sure don't seem to care much here".

To be fair, we did also have some positive interactions with CMs, but those seemed few and far between. The only CM that really sticks out as being genuinely enthusiastic about his job and his guests was a monorail pilot.

We enjoyed our Disneyland trip, but I fell sick after just one day in the parks and didn't fully recover till we were back home so it definitely put a damper on our trip. I feel like I need a "do over" because I surely thought I would LOVE Disneyland. I liked it ok, but can't say I loved it. I only used 2 days of my 3 day ticket, end even those weren't full days. Hopefully if I get some time I'll get around to a quick trip report one of these days.

To sum up our feelings my kids said several times during our trip "it doesn't really feel like Disney here".

Sorry to hear that you didn't have a wonderful time.

Did you not have the Disneyland App installed on your phones? It would have eliminated the need for a map. In addition, there are maps at every DAS/Guest Relations kiosk (indicated by green umbrellas and CMs wearing plaid--there are several in each park). Sorry none of the CMs helped you on that front.

Interesting that your kids didn't feel it was "Disney" enough. I think it is much more Disney than WDW. I think you need a do over. There is so much magic at DL but you have to spend time to soak in all the details.

Hope you are feeling better.

nicholsbears
02-09-2016, 11:02 AM
I just wanted to say that despite the indifference of the majority of DLR CMs, I loved DLR. It was so special being in the Land where Walt actually walked. Main St. was much more "homey," with all the foliage. Loved the Ca. Adventure park. WDW depends too much on technology. I've been in the park when the wi-fi stopped working and everything shuts down: rides, cash registers, reservations, etc.
One suggestion...DL could use a few more signs pointing to the various attractions. At WDW there are arrows at every corner pointing to the different attractions. These are a big help to "first timers." We found ourselves walking in circles (even with a map).
Good suggestion on the Disneyland App., but when I'm on vacation, I turn the phone off and don't look at it until the end of the day. It amazes me how anyone can enjoy themselves with their noses in their phone all day.:mickey:

BrerGnat
02-09-2016, 12:31 PM
I just wanted to say that despite the indifference of the majority of DLR CMs, I loved DLR. It was so special being in the Land where Walt actually walked. Main St. was much more "homey," with all the foliage. Loved the Ca. Adventure park. WDW depends too much on technology. I've been in the park when the wi-fi stopped working and everything shuts down: rides, cash registers, reservations, etc.
One suggestion...DL could use a few more signs pointing to the various attractions. At WDW there are arrows at every corner pointing to the different attractions. These are a big help to "first timers." We found ourselves walking in circles (even with a map).
Good suggestion on the Disneyland App., but when I'm on vacation, I turn the phone off and don't look at it until the end of the day. It amazes me how anyone can enjoy themselves with their noses in their phone all day.:mickey:

Glad you liked it overall. I certainly don't spend my days at Disneyland with my nose buried in my phone. However, the Disneyland app is really VERY useful. It has current wait times AND Fastpass return times, the entertainment schedule, restaurant locations with menus, etc. I visit the parks at least weekly and I always use the DL app. It's a fantastic resource.