PDA

View Full Version : Pool hopping

nicholsbears
02-05-2016, 08:54 AM
:wave:

At Disneyland you are encouraged to "pool hop," your room card gets you access to the pool area at all 3 hotels. Is the same true at WDW; do they allow "pool hopping ?"
:goofy:

brownie
02-05-2016, 09:24 AM
It's only allowed at sister resorts. If you're staying at either Pretty Orleans resort, can you use the pool (s) at three other one. If you're staying at an All-Star resort, you can use the pools at any of the All-Star resorts.

rwdavis2
02-05-2016, 11:12 AM
At some (all?) resorts they have installed gates where you use your magic band to gain entry to the pool. Someone staying at Coronado can't hop to the Polynesian pool as the gate won't open for them.

#1donaldfan
02-05-2016, 12:07 PM
That practice is becoming less and less .... like mentioned some resorts require magic band access.

nicholsbears
02-05-2016, 12:10 PM
Just curious...is this because of the price difference of the resorts?

faline
02-05-2016, 12:24 PM
Just curious...is this because of the price difference of the resorts?

I think it has more to do with location than price. For example, it would be pretty easy for folks at the Magic Kingdom to walk (or monorail) on over to the Contemporary for a mid-day swim if pool hopping were allowed. This would likely overwhelm the capacity of the pool there.

ThanxForNoticin
02-05-2016, 01:31 PM
DVC members have hopping privileges to most (but not all) pool locations, with certain blackout dates during busier times. But the list of pools DVC members can use has gone down over recent years. They definitely do not "encourage" it at WDW!

nicholsbears
02-06-2016, 10:47 AM
I still suspect that it is because Thurston and Lovey Howell at the GF or BW don't want to rub elbows with us commoners(economy resorts). Magic Bands could easily be coded to permit all resort guests access to all pool areas.

BrerGnat
02-06-2016, 11:20 AM
Honesty, the pools at all the resorts are too small (except the YC/BC pool). They are frequently packed to the point there are no chairs available. Pool hoping should not be allowed, even to DVC members. I never understood that.

VWL Mom
02-06-2016, 11:58 AM
At Disneyland you are encouraged to "pool hop," your room card gets you access to the pool area at all 3 hotels. Is the same true at WDW; do they allow "pool hopping ?"

Is this something new? There was no pool hopping at DL when we stayed at VGC in June 2014.

I still suspect that it is because Thurston and Lovey Howell at the GF or BW don't want to rub elbows with us commoners(economy resorts).
I don't think rubbing elbows is quite it. Those staying at deluxe resorts are paying not only for a room but also for the use of the amenities it offers, why should others get them for free.

Honesty, the pools at all the resorts are too small (except the YC/BC pool). They are frequently packed to the point there are no chairs available. Pool hoping should not be allowed, even to DVC members. I never understood that.
Even though I am DVC I tend to agree with you. Especially with the added fencing going up the space around the pool seems to be getting less and less. When the new VWL pool opens I think it may be added to the list of no hopping and will be for the use of WL and VWL guests only.

BrerGnat
02-06-2016, 12:47 PM
:wave:

:goofy:

This is not correct. Pool hopping has not been allowed at DLR hotels for many years. Only when a pool is being refurbished are guests of THAT resort given permission to access pools at another resort.

nicholsbears
02-06-2016, 01:28 PM
Sorry but you are 100 o/o wrong. We just returned from DL (stayed at DH) and used all three pools. Our room card allowed us access and the staff encouraged it.

VWL Mom
02-06-2016, 02:50 PM
Sorry but you are 100 o/o wrong. We just returned from DL (stayed at DH) and used all three pools. Our room card allowed us access and the staff encouraged it.

That's probably because the D/ETicket pool is slated for refurb from Jan 4 - March 11 which is what Natalie mentioned. Also the GC pool and slide is scheduled for February.

MNNHFLTX
02-06-2016, 05:59 PM
I still suspect that it is because Thurston and Lovey Howell at the GF or BW don't want to rub elbows with us commoners(economy resorts). Magic Bands could easily be coded to permit all resort guests access to all pool areas.
True. But you pay for the amenities at whatever resort you book. If someone is paying a premium to stay at one of the deluxe resorts, it wouldn't be fair to have the pool area overrun with people staying at a less expensive resort.

BrerGnat
02-06-2016, 06:28 PM

You were given that access because your main pool was closed. I have stayed at DLH 3 times, GCH 4, and Paradise Pier 2. We were only given access to "other" pools on ONE stay when our pool had to go out of commission for 2 days due to a broken filter. At no other time is it allowed.

nicholsbears
02-06-2016, 10:53 PM
You are not listening. We stayed at the Disneyland Hotel the first week of Dec. All resort pools were open and we used all pools. Our room card gave up access. Our tour guide (Walk in Walt's Footsteps) alerted us to the policy that "pool-hopping" was not only allowed, but encouraged at DLR.

BrerGnat
02-07-2016, 12:06 AM
You are not listening. We stayed at the Disneyland Hotel the first week of Dec. All resort pools were open and we used all pools. Our room card gave up access. Our tour guide (Walk in Walt's Footsteps) alerted us to the policy that "pool-hopping" was not only allowed, but encouraged at DLR.

Okay. Well that must be new. That has never been the case. We've been regular DLR hotel guests since 2002.

marlyn
02-09-2016, 11:30 AM
This is what it says on DL official website...

"Can I use the services of the other Hotels, although I am not staying at that specific Hotel?

The restaurants at all 3 Hotels of the Disneyland Resort are open to everyone.
However, all other services at the Disneyland Hotel, Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel and Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa are exclusive to the hotel a Guest is staying at with the following exceptions:
If there is a closure or other situation whereby a Guest or Guests have been granted access to services at hotels not specific to where they are staying, they will be duly notified of the temporary policy change.
Guests of the Disneyland Hotel and Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel may use the massage services and Pinocchio's Workshop (children activities center) at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa for an additional fee. Advanced reservations are required.
Guests of all 3 Hotels of the Disneyland Resort can enter and re-enter the Resort using the exclusive entrance into and exit from Disney California Adventure Park with valid theme park admission."

AgentC
02-09-2016, 11:59 AM
I agree with Lynn & Beth's assessment that the pools at many WDW resorts are too small for hopping and that it would be unfair to the guests paying for those amenities to not be able to use them because of over crowding.

Even if WDW did allow pool hopping, it would not be practical for most guest. If you don't have a car, resort to resort travel is lengthy under the best of circumstances. If you do have a car there are resorts that will regularly not allow you to park there if you are not a guest or do not have a reservation at the resort.

JanetMegan
02-10-2016, 09:43 AM
So just to piggyback onto this, this fall we are staying at WL but some of our party is staying at Poly. Will my mom and dad be able to go swim with the grandkids at the Poly since the kid's magic bands should let them in or are they going to be strict on that?

SurferStitch
02-10-2016, 11:29 AM
So just to piggyback onto this, this fall we are staying at WL but some of our party is staying at Poly. Will my mom and dad be able to go swim with the grandkids at the Poly since the kid's magic bands should let them in or are they going to be strict on that?

Probably not.. The Poly Pool is very popular, and if you aren't staying there, your MB won't grant you access to the pool. You can't access a pool because you have friends or family accompanying you.

SurferStitch
02-10-2016, 11:32 AM

And so what? Thurston and Lovey paid $500+ per night to stay at the GF and use their pools, and an economy resort guest paid hundreds less per night to use their own pool amenities. It's called getting what you pay for. You want a fancier pool? Pay the price!

ThanxForNoticin
02-10-2016, 11:59 AM
We have not been to the new pool at Poly yet, but I understand there is now a boundary protecting the pool and a valid Magic Band or room key is required to enter. If that is the case, I doubt anyone not staying at Poly will be allowed to swim there, unless they can convince a cast member to allow it in this situation.

#1donaldfan
02-10-2016, 12:16 PM
That's a good question. I'm thinking no, if they're enforcing entry that particular day. I witnessed those entering the YC pool area this past December a CM scanning each and every magic band going in. Not just one from each party.

BrerGnat
02-10-2016, 12:30 PM
And so what? Thurston and Lovey paid $500+ per night to stay at the GF and use their pools, and an economy resort guest paid hundreds less per night to use their own pool amenities. It's called getting what you pay for. You want a fancier pool? Pay the price!

The pool at AoA is gated and requires a room key or Magic band to enter. It doesn't matter how much a hotel costs. The pool should be only for that hotel's guests.

LynneM
02-10-2016, 01:25 PM
Sorry, that's not the case. It's purely a numbers game. Pool hopping was allowed at WDW when there was only one category of resort, and all the pools were roughly similar in terms of slides and other amenities.

Once they started building different levels of resorts, and the pools ranged from the very basic, no-slide pools at the All Stars to the mini-water park at YC/BC/BCV, pool hopping was no longer allowed. If any resort guest could swim at any pool, where do you think the guests in the 10000+ value resort rooms on property would swim? Would they go to the simple pool at their own resort, or would they pack their swimsuit and go to one of the much more fun pools with slides and a view of MK on the monorail loop, or the big fancy pool with a lazy river and sandy bottom that's a few steps from the back gate of Epcot?

Even 50 extra guests dropping in from MK would make the GF pool painfully overcrowded, and take up a big portion of the lounge chairs. Thurston or Lovey or not, how do you think the people who paid 300-500 a night to stay at a monorail resort or YC/BC would feel if there were so many people from other resorts in their resort's pool that they couldn't use it?

As others have said, you get what you pay for. The fancy pools are part of what you're paying extra for at a deluxe.

#1donaldfan
02-11-2016, 12:11 PM
The pool at AoA is gated and requires a room key or Magic band to enter. It doesn't matter how much a hotel costs. The pool should be only for that hotel's guests.

I totally agree with you that the AoA pool is gated, however that gate is not manned. One person in your party can open the gate with their magic band and the rest follow in. On the other end of the spectrum, the pool at the Yacht / Beach Club, (while sitting at a table eating our ice cream from Beaches n Cream) I witnessed a CM check in each and every person going in. So, it seems as though special attention is given to the pools at the Deluxe Resorts as opposed to the Value.

BrerGnat
02-11-2016, 02:42 PM
I totally agree with you that the AoA pool is gated, however that gate is not manned. One person in your party can open the gate with their magic band and the rest follow in. On the other end of the spectrum, the pool at the Yacht / Beach Club, (while sitting at a table eating our ice cream from Beaches n Cream) I witnessed a CM check in each and every person going in. So, it seems as though special attention is given to the pools at the Deluxe Resorts as opposed to the Value.

Well, the Y&B Club have been doing it that way for YEARS, mostly because the pool is within walking distance of Epcot. So, it makes sense.

Point is, it is easy enough to walk from Pop to AoA and try to use the pool. However, if no one feels like being nice and letting you in, you're not getting in.

RedSoxFan
02-11-2016, 10:31 PM
Each of us had our MB scanned when entering the pool at YC/BC every time in December as well.