PDA

View Full Version : Justifying Meal Plans

nutsnbolts
01-27-2016, 12:23 PM
A family of 5. 3 kids. Is it a good idea for a meal plan? I called and they stated it would be about 1440 for 7 days. 1 sit in, 1 Quick and 1 snack.

I'm not sure how the meals cost will come out to but I do have like 3 reservations and still working on two more.

The reservations do range from expensive to moderate but how expensive I'm not sure as I don't have experience exactly how much this is really going to cost me.

Can someone help clue me in or the thought process to justify it

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Speedy1998
01-27-2016, 12:28 PM
It really depends on how much your family eats. It is less than if you bought those individual items listed in the plan, but allot of people have trouble eating that much food, especially if you start hitting the buffets for your sit down meals.

John
01-27-2016, 12:45 PM
Honestly, I've never been able to justify it for our family. We just don't eat that much. However, there are folks on the podcast who swear by it. I usually figure 10 - 15 - 25 per person per day. That means on days where we eat less it usually balances out. That $50 a day per person includes snacks.

Here's the way I look at it - if you don't spend that, the money stays in your pocket as opposed to Mickey's! For those who like to pay for everything up front, go get yourself some prepaid amex or visa cards for your meals. If you don't use them all, spend them when you get home!

nutsnbolts
01-27-2016, 02:01 PM
That does seem like a lot of food. Especially the 3 kids are 2x 4 year old and 1x 9 year old so how much could they really eat?

Anyone else think this is too much for a meal plan and possibly get away without a meal plan?

Strmchsr
01-27-2016, 02:16 PM
I agree with the posts above. We never use the Disney Dining Plan. It just doesn't work for us, even though we do a table service most days. Not doing the DDP we can share meals if we like (except at buffets) and save in other ways while still enjoy our meal. In order to justify the cost you have to eat everything on the plan and get the most expensive things on the menu. Just doesn't do it for me. The kids are a little different as their plan is less expensive but still some meals my youngest hardly eats anything but he and my wife share a meal and that works great. So, as John mentioned, there are plenty who use the DDP every trip but that doesn't work for us.

nutsnbolts
01-27-2016, 03:05 PM
This definitely will require more thought. Looking at some of the places we would like dinner has adults at 30 dollars per person or something like that and it may become a wash if we splurge or if we want to be frugal we could save. The problem is I don't have reservations to everywhere we would like to go to because of lack of knowledge of what is available but once we are there, there is no stopping us in saying let's eat hear (sit down) and it coming out expensive. Multiply that occurring on the span of days it could add up. Sigh

Goofy4TheWorld
01-27-2016, 04:30 PM
...but once we are there, there is no stopping us in saying let's eat hear (sit down) and it coming out expensive.

Actually, there is something stopping you, and that's the fact that you can't just walk up to a Disney restaurant and expect to get seated. Now there are random places at infrequent times that can do this, but as a general rule you cannot expect to eat a sit-down meal at WDW unless you have a reservation already made. The worst thing in the world you could do is to pay for the Disney Dining Plan (DDP) thinking that you can decide "on the fly" where you are going to eat.

It's a rare treat to find someone who has truly crunched the numbers and found that they spent less using the DDP, and it's like finding gold if someone saves money after paying full price for the DDP. I also believe that a WDW "newbie" has absolutely no chance of coming out on top with the DDP, and if you pay for it you WILL pay for more food than you will ever "get out" of your trip. Sure, you see menu items that are $30 per plate, but the DDP is $62 per person per day!

There are arguments for the DDP, but I feel like that there is so much work that goes into "maximizing" your bang for your buck with the plan, you would be far better off paying for your food as you go.

j2k
01-27-2016, 06:01 PM
I do not think DDP is worth it.

In my opinion, $1,440 is ALOT of money for 2 adults and 3 kids to eat for a week.

BrerGnat
01-27-2016, 06:43 PM
We never do if. The thing is, the plan still leaves out a whole meal per day, while still being "too much food." Like, for example, say you use the quick service credit for lunch, then dinner is the sit down. And you get a snack. What about breakfast? Maybe you can use your "snack" for that, but what about when your kid wants waffles? Then you have to buy a whole meal out of pocket. Every day. But then the credits include dessert, twice a day. And a drink, even if you just want water. So, really, you might end up paying for desserts and drinks you really don't want or need (at least we do).

We do much better paying as we go, ordering what we want (sometimes just appetizers and a salad), and dining where we want.

Kerry823
01-27-2016, 06:53 PM
I can only justify it if it is "free dining". Walk ups are limited and honestly the plan has just too much food. My husband and I can share an entree and are very satisfied. Not knowing the appetites of your kids, it may be that your can share as well. It might be worth looking at the current menus posted along with the prices and do a mock day just to get an idea. Then you can expense it out for your whole trip to see what you think. Have fun!

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-27-2016, 07:05 PM
If you have a lot of kids on the plan, then it can work our for you, since the buffet and "all you can eat meals" are pretty expensive for the kids. However, you would have to be eating a number of these, and at least a sit-down meal each day.

If you don't want to be that tied to reservations, or think you may choose more quick service, or sharing of meals, then it isn't a good financial choice.

joonyer
01-27-2016, 09:24 PM
We (2 adults, 2 kids) paid for the DDP one time; back when the plan included appetizers for each person, and it was more food than we could enjoy. We've found that we could pay OOP for all the food we wanted and spend hundreds of dollars less for food during a week long vacation than the DDP costs. No, we did not eat a TS meal every day, but unless you were going to eat more than at least one TS meal for each day, you are pretty much guaranteed to spend more money purchasing the dining plan. Disney knows this of course, and that's why they promote it so heavily. It may be convenient, but it is not a money saver.

sorcerer fan
01-28-2016, 10:47 AM
and with the dining plan you have to plan your whole vacation around where you'll be for your next meal. its easier to eat oop with gift cards or use rewards from Disney visa.

Itchy
01-28-2016, 11:02 AM
We really like the dining plan for convenience but if we cannot get it during free dining we will pay out of pocket. Either way you should make dining reservations at any of the sit down restaurants you would like to go to.

Hope this helps... Happy planning..:mickey:

1DisneyNut
01-28-2016, 12:40 PM
I haven't seen it mentioned yet, for the popular sit down restaurants; you will have to make reservations at the 180 day opening mark or the popular times will be gone and not long after there will not be any times available. So there is not really any buying the dining plan and then winging the sit downs when you are there.

We never get the dining plan and always 100% of the time come out paying substantially less for our meals. We got the free dining once and it was enough food to feed horses. We left so much food on the table every sit down meal it wasn't even funny. We also didn't use all the snack credits. I just don't see how anybody could ever eat so much each day.

Another thing we don't like about the dining plan and someone already mentioned it, you end up planning your day around dining reservations. You have to start not long after lunch, thinking we can do this ride and this show and then we may have to head out for our dining reservation. Now you throw in FP+ reservations along with dining reservations and it is just about enough to stress a person out. The time we had free dining, we ended up cancelling all our sit downs the second day and just finding somewhere to eat the rest of the week. A few times we did counter service for dinner so we didn't really even need the sit down credits. I think they gave us snacks or snack credits or something for the difference which we still didn't use.

BrerGnat
01-28-2016, 04:41 PM
I haven't seen it mentioned yet, for the popular sit down restaurants; you will have to make reservations at the 180 day opening mark or the popular times will be gone and not long after there will not be any times available. So there is not really any buying the dining plan and then winging the sit downs when you are there. .

Not necessarily. Since they instituted the 24 hour cancellation policy, it is quite easy to get last minute ADRs once you are there. I have had very good luck doing this. I don't make reservations in advance anymore.

1DisneyNut
01-28-2016, 08:43 PM
Not necessarily. Since they instituted the 24 hour cancellation policy, it is quite easy to get last minute ADRs once you are there. I have had very good luck doing this. I don't make reservations in advance anymore.

Sure that is possible but not a guarantee. I don't know that I would recommend to someone who is new to the system to pay for the dining plan and then bet on being able to find a suitable dining time and restaurant reservation in the park you are in every day. Besides that, many of us don't like being tied to a dining reservation but you know what would be even worse than that......walking around the parks constantly looking at my phone checking for dining availability. I personally will pass on that but to each his own.

snowflakegirl
01-29-2016, 04:31 PM
On our last trip, I looked at the menus of the TS and QS restaurants we were planning on eating at, and made educated guesses about what we'd be likely to eat and tried to do a price estimate. Often my husband and I were more likely to split and appetizer and split a dessert than both having desserts, and we rarely, if ever, got desserts at our QS meals. Some days we didn't do snacks for ourselves, although we did buy items that would ahve qualified as snack credits for our 2 year old son. I used a site that estimated cost and which would be a better value as well. Either way it came out about 50 +/- OOP vs DP. I decided to take a chance and we didn't do the dining plan this trip. I totaled up my receipts when we got home, only adding in the meals/snacks that would have been covered. We ended up saving money because of where and what we ate. Had we wanted desserts with ever meal, we definitely would not have, but it worked out better for us. I think it depends on your own family and eating habits. With two four year old, I would lean towards it being a better value not to use the dining plan, but again, it depends on your own family.

nutsnbolts
01-30-2016, 11:59 AM

Ironic you said that because when I was trying to book for several of the popular sit down places, I actually accidentally booked for a day in January (which was the next day) which was supposed to be a February Month date instead and I was surprised that there was availability. I was like wow, but then when I got the email confirmation I realized my mistake that I booked incorrectly.

My point is and when i called Disney as well they stated that it's no guarantee but with the 24 hour cancellation policy, spots do open up.

At the end of the day, I do have a couple more places I would like to book but as I'm trying everyday to see if any spots open up, I do expect to call/reserve and try again when I get there.

nutsnbolts
01-30-2016, 12:02 PM
Sure that is possible but not a guarantee. I don't know that I would recommend to someone who is new to the system to pay for the dining plan and then bet on being able to find a suitable dining time and restaurant reservation in the park you are in every day. Besides that, many of us don't like being tied to a dining reservation but you know what would be even worse than that......walking around the parks constantly looking at my phone checking for dining availability. I personally will pass on that but to each his own.

LOL, you're so right, the last thing i want to do is constantly plan plan plan for something. Oh the things we do for our kids. I guess the next question is and looking at all that I have reserved thus far.

4 character breakfasts (may cancel one)
1 Lunch
1 dinner
Expecting at least 2 more dinners to be booked when I get there.

Does this change the justification?

mom2morgan
01-30-2016, 11:41 PM
LOL, you're so right, the last thing i want to do is constantly plan plan plan for something. Oh the things we do for our kids. I guess the next question is and looking at all that I have reserved thus far.

4 character breakfasts (may cancel one)
1 Lunch
1 dinner
Expecting at least 2 more dinners to be booked when I get there.

Does this change the justification?

No, I think you are still better off skipping it. Breakfasts really never justify the cost of the dining plan - we've found it only pays if we are ordering the most expensive thing on the menu everywhere, and at dinner time. Especially considering that your kids are little, I don't think they'll eat enough. We did it last time and saved, but that is with teenagers and all of us being big eaters.

BrerGnat
01-30-2016, 11:47 PM
How old are your kids? That's a lot of sit down meals in a week.

nutsnbolts
01-31-2016, 12:22 AM
How old are your kids? That's a lot of sit down meals in a week.
Kids are 2 four year Olds and a 9 year old. You're right I don't think the meal plan will be worth it despite the reservations. That is a lot of sit down but it's no different if we were going to eat out. I just figured we have a place to go to that we may like based on the suggestions of places to eat.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Genie1953
01-31-2016, 12:31 AM
Just today I priced everything out and compared paying outright for it against getting the Dining Plan. We are going to go for the dining plan on our trip this November. In the past I priced everything out after we returned home and we usually came out ahead with the dining plan and it happened again when I priced out everything after we looked a menus today. We do a lot of the higher priced table service meals like Cape May Dinner and Ohana and some of the character meals as well as some of the higher priced quick service meals so for us it works out best to do the dining plan. We generally use our snack credits for a light lunch such as splitting a ham and cheese croissant or pretzel along with a small veggie tray. Has worked out well for us and if they offer free dining during our stay it is even better!

Anthony007
01-31-2016, 09:10 AM
We found we saved about $1300 for the three of us. Plenty of food, the only thing we missed were appetizers. Some meals we would have preferred an apptizer to a dessert, and ordering both was just too much.

As someone who was completely against the dinng plan before I tried it, I stand corrected and wouldn't go back to paying OOP with kids.

MrPeetrie
01-31-2016, 10:46 AM
Back in 2011, we already had our reservations paid for in full WITHOUT the Disney Dining Plan. Then, based on the number of sit-down meals we had reserved, my wife and I inquired about the plan. Disney's customer service looked at our ADRs and said it would be beneficial to include the plan. We decided to add it, but the way it had to be done was a total refund of the original reservation package and a new purchase of a completely new reservation WITH the DDP included. The added difference was approximately $1,150 dollars. (Two adults; two children.) I kept every receipt and those meals purchased separately would have cost $1,204.98, a savings of approximately $55.

But here's the thing:
We don't eat that way! I cannot stress that enough. While those meals cost $1,204.98 purchased separately, we never would have ordered that much food. You have to get a dessert with every meal. We almost never get a dessert. We want a Mickey Bar instead! My daughter had to order off the child's menu despite not finding anything to her liking. You had to get a fountain drink (or equivalent) with meal. I always purchase a 20 oz. bottle outside because I'm not a fan of fountain drinks. Now I have two drinks!!! There ended up being so much either wasted food or over-eaten food (because we didn't want to waste it) that meals stopped being enjoyable.

We tried it once and never again. Whenever possible, we use Tables In Wonderland. To echo John's suggestion, we also bring a pre-paid AMEX card for meals so that portion is paid prior to arrival.

I think I understand the Disney's desire behind encouraging pre-paying for meals. If the average guest brings let's say $3,000 with them to spend on a vacation, a large portion of that is going to be for food. But if the food portion was paid in advance, I think Disney believes that guest would still bring $3,000 (or close to it) to spend, but now that can all go on souvenirs! (That's just my theory.)

But I think the DDP has truly hurt the overall quality of the dining portion of the vacation. For one, walk-ups are almost unheard of anymore. (If you're paying for a sit-down meal, you better reserve one.) Second, I think the food quality has slipped a bit. And that's only natural.

I own a small construction company. When payment is waiting until I'm finished, I have a tremendous incentive to ensure each parking lot is done as best as possible so I can get paid. When I'm paid up front, however, the "pressure" is gone. I still do my best, but I don't have the same incentive. It's the same with the food. They're paid up front so the incentive to be exemplary has been lessened. And I think it is beginning to show.

Truthfully, I wish they'd do away with it. Just my opinion.

nutsnbolts
02-01-2016, 02:23 AM
You all have me convinced. Everyone definitely put up really good points and actual experiences that I think at the end of the day, it reduces all the hassle from what to eat or how much something costs to eat at the expense of paying it all up front.

Everyone is right, if money wasn't a concern then this is an easy way out. :)

RavsRuleDisney!
02-09-2016, 01:55 PM
It is hard these days to justify WDW pricing across the board (quick vent but been there plenty of times and hey, no one is forcing us to go) but regarding the meal plan if you do a little advanced research/planning you can definitely go out of pocket, save over the DDP and not feel like you're missing out on the Disney dining "experience". We did the DDP when our 2 DS' were wee ones and realized we were not getting any bang out of our buck. Managed to get in on the free dining for a few of our trips and out of pocket the last few including our trip coming in March. W have Liberty Tree, OHana and Chefs De France for dinners. Stocking up on some breakfast treats/snacks/drinks for the room (we are driving them in!) and we don't lunch much though will definitely graze the Epcot F & G kiosks for some grub one day....Whatever you decide enjoy!! :chef:

#1donaldfan
02-09-2016, 06:13 PM
For us over our recent NYE trip we stayed 6 nights. We had at least one TS each day, plus the CS meals for lunch. There were two days that we had two TS meals because of breakfast .... for 5 of us we ate for under $1200 ... eg. Boma, Cape May, Morimotos, Trails End ... etc....the DDP is not worth it at all.

titleistboy
02-15-2016, 10:39 AM
OK...so I'm a DDP advocate for a couple of reasons...

First, in full disclosure, we've never paid for the dining plan, however, I probably would if I had to - and here's why.

Our last trip included our then 2-year old Son, my wife and I, my parents, and Sister and Brother-in-Law. The one beauty of the dining plan is that (in my opinion) your enjoyment of your vacation isn't interrupted by getting a three-figure bill for meals. Regularly. As in every day. Which, for me at least, would be a bit of a killjoy. For instance, for your family, one character breakfast is going to be a $140-$150 bill for a breakfast. Not really how I want to start my day. So, yes, if you do the math, it's often not a savings to use the plan, however I'd rather go, eat, and walk away without worrying about how much I or my family are spending on food. Look around any counter service at lunchtime. They're packed, but look at people's faces - they're adding up what their lunch bill will be for some burgers and chicken nuggets...no thanks.

The DDP only covers two meals per day - true, but, we generally do either a character breakfast or an early-ish dinner (4-4:30 times are frequently open). This way, although we're only generally eating 2 meals a day, it is a lot of food (since these are mostly buffets) and if you time things out correctly, and plan, it works out just fine.

Snacks - with kids, this can be a biggie. Although they don't cover everything, popcorn, ice cream, and most cart-based things are considered snacks. And those can add up quickly. Again, even though you've "paid" for it, it's nice to not have money changing hands every time someone wants something.

So, what I will say is that a bit of planning can take you a long way. We will still often pay for one or two meals out of pocket (Via Napoli, for instance, one pizza can serve many) and that lets us save a meal or two here and there for a day where we may use two. As I mentioned, we tend to like the buffets (check out Cape May Cafe - relatively easy to get to for being in a hotel, and I think currently the most expensive option of the DDP single-credit options) for a couple of kid-based reasons - first, they're fast. You sit down, order drinks, and go eat, so not a huge amount of extra patience required. Second, if your kids decide at that moment in time that they don't want pizza, but really want some mac and cheese, no worries. If you plan around the timing of those meals, you can really make it work without a lot of extra out of pocket expense.

I know this was long, but I do think there are some positives to the DDP beyond finances. After all, it's a lot cheaper to stay offsite, too, right?

marlyn
02-15-2016, 11:20 AM
I have priced it out a few times and we always save money paying out of pocket and NOT buying the dining plan.

AJ Springfield
04-08-2016, 09:50 PM
Just my 2 cents--- we have never bought the plan because we couldn't justify the added cost. A couple things to keep in mind- just because you have the plan, doesn't guarantee that ALL your food will be covered-- there will still be expenses on top of what is allowed. Secondly, while the TS is "paid", there's still tax and tip to be paid. One of our biggest hang ups is that time spent waiting for reservations and eating a (usually) leisurely meal, means less time enjoying the attractions and rides. Yes, we have enjoyed a couple TS meals (OOP), but usually 1 or possibly 2 per trip. I wish you the best while making your decisions--- just wanted to share my thoughts!

Eric87
04-24-2016, 10:34 AM
Same here. I've taken a few last minute trips with no reservations and didn't have any trouble getting into some of the more popular restaurants, and this was the week of the fourth and leading up to the fourth. The app would say nothing available, but I would walk up to double check and they had no issues finding a table for four.

As for the original post, also keep in mind the kids will be stuck ordering from the same items at a lot of the counter service locations, and even some of the sit down meals. Depending on how adventurous their palate is, this may be a downside as well. Unless, you pay for the adult plan for the child.

Arielfan98
04-24-2016, 02:38 PM
I think it's worth it if your family likes to eat at a lot of fancy type restaurants and likes character dining. Those restaurants like The Wave and Garden Grill can be expensive for a family of 5. But if your family is fine with sharing plates at QS places and maybe affording one sit down meal, the dining plan may not be necessary. Again, it depends on your family.